Magico Q7

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
A neutral loudspeaker will guide you through the waste lands suburbs and ghettos of the sometimes full of misleading financial interests high end world , and allow you to get further ahead , instead of moving in circles :D

THis damn factory were i work broke down again last night , missed a good chance to hear dartzeel /magico Q 1 Q3 at a dealer show :eek:
Well the money is good at weekends :D

Hi there,
I think you refer to the Rhapsody show. I was there. Must say....Both the Q1 and Q3 sounded VERY different from the Q5 show in The Hague. The Q5 (months ago) was presented in a Soulution set up. It sounded etched for the first hour but then it turned into an open window for the music. At the time I did not like the closed in bass. Sometimes it felt as if the lower frequencies were being strangled :eek:
Back to yesterday...the Q1 was in a Audio Research setting (with Soulution CD player). I swear, my eyes kept looking for a hidden sub! Unbelievable. But also a bit "too much". Can a system have too much frequency extremes, making the middle frequencies suffer :confused:?
The Q3 was in a Spectral setup but with a tubed pre. It sounded excellent. In only one recording I got a bit of the "closed box bass feeling". For the rest: simply great! Would have preferred the MIT top line though. Must say however that Harry and Michael of Rhapsody know how to make a system sing like no others. Hope to hear the Q7 one day!
Cheers

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yes that was the show , no dartzeel then ? , i have nt heard that yet .
Yes the rhapsody sound is nice , although the best sounds ive heard at a dealer in holland was at mijn hifi in Nijmegen , i defenitively liked that room, unfortunately they closed down (were taken over in fact, as the owner decided to stop), i liked the all levinson ref series set up with avalons

I think there will be also a kharma special at the end of may i might go to that one.
I dont think a system can have to much freq extremes , the more the better , but that mid unit in the Q 1 has to cover a lot of bandwith all on its own , instead of having a bigger woofer taking over for low freq

Last edited:

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
From JV's Munich High End Report- http://www.avguide.com/blog/jv-reports-the-munich-high-end-show-2012-updated-addendum

"Here’s the thing about the Q7. It is obviously a great loudspeaker—and may perhaps be the great speaker. In Munich, as at this year’s CES, it would have earned an A+ in every single hi-fi property—unbelievable power and definition in the bass, superb blending of drivers, exceptional resolution of detail, etc. And yet, and yet…in spite of the checklist of superlatives, the Q7s never sounded like real music to me in Munich; they sounded, well, like hi-fi.

As was the case at CES, a lot of the problem had to do with what was feeding the Q7s. In Munich, it was Spectral electronics, which have never been famous for their engaging warmth and were, here, particularly cool, clinical, and off-putting. Then there was the musical program being played—a non-stop series of hi-fi spectaculars designed to show off the speakers’ bass, treble, dynamics, soundstaging—everything, in fact, but their naturalness and musicality. And finally there was the room, which occasionally added a bump in the midbass and a bit of brightness in the mid-treble.

Don’t misunderstand: I think the Q7 may be Magico’s greatest achievement. I simply haven’t heard it sound that way…yet."

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
From JV's Munich High End Report- http://www.avguide.com/blog/jv-reports-the-munich-high-end-show-2012-updated-addendum

"As was the case at CES, a lot of the problem had to do with what was feeding the Q7s. In Munich, it was Spectral electronics, which have never been famous for their engaging warmth and were, here, particularly cool, clinical, and off-putting...."

Yeah...blame it on Spectral ;-) I have been playing with Spectral for years and never thought of them as "particularly cool, clinical and off-putting..."

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Don’t misunderstand: I think the Q7 may be Magico’s greatest achievement. I simply haven’t heard it sound that way…yet."

Jap.
Better buying a Devialet with the Magico S5 to listen while Jeff finishes his review! :)

Randall Smith

May 30, 2010
NC

"Here’s the thing about the Q7. It is obviously a great loudspeaker—and may perhaps be the great speaker. In Munich, as at this year’s CES, it would have earned an A+ in every single hi-fi property—unbelievable power and definition in the bass, superb blending of drivers, exceptional resolution of detail, etc. And yet, and yet…in spite of the checklist of superlatives, the Q7s never sounded like real music to me in Munich; they sounded, well, like hi-fi.

As was the case at CES, a lot of the problem had to do with what was feeding the Q7s. In Munich, it was Spectral electronics, which have never been famous for their engaging warmth and were, here, particularly cool, clinical, and off-putting. Then there was the musical program being played—a non-stop series of hi-fi spectaculars designed to show off the speakers’ bass, treble, dynamics, soundstaging—everything, in fact, but their naturalness and musicality. And finally there was the room, which occasionally added a bump in the midbass and a bit of brightness in the mid-treble.

Don’t misunderstand: I think the Q7 may be Magico’s greatest achievement. I simply haven’t heard it sound that way…yet."

reply removed:

Last edited by a moderator:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The funny thing is that JV said Spectral+Magico was "clinical", yet Harley heard just that setup at Magico's HQ and loved it...

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Those Mundorf MKP-type caps and CFC inductors are exactly the same ones I use in my woofer crossover now, with Mundorf Supremes and the same inductors for the panels, and I can vouch for their superb quality. The inductors measure exceptionally well - imagine going from 1.5ohm 18awg originals to Mundorf 14awg and measuring just 0.1 ohms.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I think Magico and Spectral are excellent together. I've heard the Q5s and Spectral monos at Overture. The sound was palpable, realistic and not at all clinical.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I think Magico and Spectral are excellent together. I've heard the Q5s and Spectral monos at Overture. The sound was palpable, realistic and not at all clinical.

Agreed - shockingly realistic combo in my view

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
As good as an all Spectral - Magico combination sounds, to my ears, FM Acoustic 266 into Spectral DMA 360 S2 into Magico Q5s sounds even better.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Nice, thanks for the effort! Where are you located, and can we bring the pizza :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing