Magico Q7

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
A new top of the line speaker from Magico is coming soon.

Q7 is a 4-way passive speaker with 2-12", 1-10", 1-6" and 1-1" tweeter.
Sensitivity - 94dB

Price Q7 - $165,000.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
A new top of the line speaker from Magico is coming soon.

Price of Q7 $125,000.

Q7 is a 4-way passive speaker with 2-12", 1-8", 1-6" and 1-1" tweeter.

Now that should be interesting!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Interesting indeed. Looks like we, audiophile, cannot wrap ourselves around the idea that price doesn't equate with superiority. Despite all the kudos for the Q5, it seems that too many found it only gvery good "for the price", an expression , I have come to loathe, not fully the equal or superior of the mega-dollar speakers, those costing ....well ... more ..
.. Another speaker which I re-heard very recently which seems to "suffer" from the same perception is the Revel Salon 2... Requires and Arc-welder but Man ... Amongst the best speaker I have heard bar none ...
Funny hobby we are in ...

Waiting for hearing impressions

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I'm still trying to figure out why these manufacturers ( Magico, Wilson, SF, Tidal, Rockport and a few others) don't start pricing their speakers in the millions of dollars....I mean why cut off at the measly $100-$200K level...let's do it right and have a $1M speaker and a $20M speaker and for the hell of it a $100M speaker.......:eek: Come on Boys, be the first to step up:D

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Please dont encourage! ;)

Bugatti was i think one of the first to breach the $1M+ limit for a new production car, whereas (i thought) 350K was roughly the high end for new production cars (Maybach, McLaren gullwing Mercedes, etc)...now there at least 10 cars in that range. Yeesh!

If this did happen in Audio, you would think it would come from someone like Tidal...who could conceivably build the speaker...but also build the electronics that run with it... A $3M system of source, pre, amps, speakers, wires (and custom set up please!)...would stretch the current upper limits of systems $750K-$1M (ignoring owning 8 turntables or 5 sets of speakers) by 3x...a similar limit that Bugatti stretched the former limit on cars.

yikes...

caesar

May 30, 2010
I know people are getting hung up on price. But someone will always get the trophy wife or overpay for the trophy property. Just a fact of human nature. So if we move away from price and judge the speaker on musical satisfaction, we are likely to find a speaker that measures brilliantly and does the audiophile tricks in a contrived demo but is emotionally dead.

Like I said before, their competitors like Nola or Scaena, that Valin has recently slammed should come out with responding ad campaign "Where's the Emotion with Magico?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug75diEyiA0

...A few old ladies come out, tapping their finger nails on the Magico aluminum ..."that's one stiff speaker"..."sure is..."....Another wide-eyed lady measures it with a ruler... A Clara Peller-like asks "Where's the Emotion?".. Voice over: "If you want to feel emotion and get closer to your music, get a (Nola, Scaena, Sonus Faber, etc.)"...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I'm still trying to figure out why these manufacturers ( Magico, Wilson, SF, Tidal, Rockport and a few others) don't start pricing their speakers in the millions of dollars....I mean why cut off at the measly $100-$200K level...let's do it right and have a $1M speaker and a $20M speaker and for the hell of it a $100M speaker.......:eek: Come on Boys, be the first to step up:D

IMHO, manufacturing a speaker costing $100k, $1M , 10M or 100M is not of great relevance. The debate on it will be meaningful if we know how many of these speakers were sold and see that the sales had any significance.

Randall Smith

May 30, 2010
NC
I know people are getting hung up on price. But someone will always get the trophy wife or overpay for the trophy property. Just a fact of human nature. So if we move away from price and judge the speaker on musical satisfaction, we are likely to find a speaker that measures brilliantly and does the audiophile tricks in a contrived demo but is emotionally dead.

Like I said before, their competitors like Nola or Scaena, that Valin has recently slammed should come out with responding ad campaign "Where's the Emotion with Magico?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug75diEyiA0

...A few old ladies come out, tapping their finger nails on the Magico aluminum ..."that's one stiff speaker"..."sure is..."....Another wide-eyed lady measures it with a ruler... A Clara Peller-like asks "Where's the Emotion?".. Voice over: "If you want to feel emotion and get closer to your music, get a (Nola, Scaena, Sonus Faber, etc.)"...

You have a tremendous hatred for Magico. Why? Because they are successful? Because they are doing things in a way that is different than the path you would choose? Why? Everyone has a right to listen to music in any way they see fit. Plenty of people like Magico. Plenty of people like Wilson. Many people like both. Not sure why everyone has to pick a side and try to run the other camp into the ground. It really seems silly, but then again.... this is the internet.

Emotionally dead. Not sure I get it. Does that mean it doesn't sound good to your ears? Maybe what you are hearing isn't right? Maybe what you think is right is wrong? Maybe you know it is wrong so you say it doesn't have "emotion" to defend what you own. Not sure what your point is, but Magico speakers are very revealing instruments. The designers go to great lengths to lower distortion and to create an inert cabinet. Go to great lengths to tweak their crossovers to allow their drivers to completely integrate into a seamless sound that brings you as far into a recording as possible. These are qualities of well engineered speakers. Why does that take away the emotion from the sound? I think the emotion you seek is to dislike something. People want to hate what Wilson stands for or for what Magico has become. Spend more time listening to your music and less time trying to come up with ways to describe your hatred.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Emotionally dead. Not sure I get it.

The same claim was made yesterday/today about Spectral gear in the DMA-260 thread... in the end, some posters' comments are taken with a few grains of salt, due to overreaching generalizations...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
IMHO, manufacturing a speaker costing $100k, $1M , 10M or 100M is not of great relevance. The debate on it will be meaningful if we know how many of these speakers were sold and see that the sales had any significance.

Honestly, i think one sale of a pair of speakers or even a system for 100M is extremely significant! while i would be more than willing to concede rarity has a price...i would personally want to know if 100M of system puts you right there in the room/stadium/theater. It had better!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Honestly, i think one sale of a pair of speakers or even a system for 100M is extremely significant! while i would be more than willing to concede rarity has a price...i would personally want to know if 100M of system puts you right there in the room/stadium/theater. It had better!

That's my feeling as well Lloyd:cool:

The business model for some of these manufacturers would most likely stipulate that even IF one speaker system is sold at some VERY high price, then the speaker is a success.

I am fairly certain that the profit margins could be made high enough at ( pick a dollar amount here) that even one sale would accrue enough profit for the above to be true.

IMHO, this is one of the possible business plans that some of our high-end manufacturers are implementing.... Only question is, whether this is healthy for the industry or not:confused:

Last edited:

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Hi

This spiral toward ever higher prices does not change the fact that we haven't made that much progress in sound reproduction. I do think a 100 M truly unlikely but I do think we will begin to see multi-millions of US dollars systems with the way the prices are climbing eventually .. Problem is they are or will not be necessarily better than much less expensive system both subjectively and even less objectively in many (most) cases.
We audiophiles, of course have a retort once the equipment is seen or the system price known. We have developed a rather obscure vocabulary/lingo for it. The words means whatever the other person wants to think ... so those multi-million dollars systems will be more "organic", with a "lower noise floor", and to top it off more "musical" ... I am certain these systems will likely feature 100K speaker cable and 50 K interconnects ... both with articulation control networks :) This way the (very rich) audiophiles can control the "articulation" of their systems...
This will not end however much it is hurting the Industry in the long term.

Back to the Q7. 94 dB if measured the same way as for the Q5 suggest a very welcome increase in speaker efficiency. Whether this is worth a speaker 2.5 times the price of he Q5, I am not sure if the speaker does not improve substantially in other areas. Only auditions and maybe some test/reviews will tell... I am remain curious about it but don't see myself investing that much in pair of speakers...

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The same claim was made yesterday/today about Spectral gear in the DMA-260 thread... in the end, some posters' comments are taken with a few grains of salt, due to overreaching generalizations...

Incorrect. I stated Magico with Spectral is cold sound IMO.

I like and almost purchased Magico M5 loudspeakers. I have been listening to Spectral since the late 1990s--admittedly not in my own room (I tried to buy a 20S2 once)---and the signature has always been the same. Dynaudio was the best match I heard. Perhaps you disagree, and that is fine too.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Incorrect. I stated Magico with Spectral is cold sound IMO.

I like and almost purchased Magico M5 loudspeakers. I have been listening to Spectral since the late 1990s--admittedly not in my own room (I tried to buy a 20S2 once)---and the signature has always been the same. Dynaudio was the best match I heard. Perhaps you disagree, and that is fine too.

I was quite correct in fact - I wasn't referring to you Keith, not sure why you would think so... Randall was talking to Caesar and I made a comment on Randall's post - not sure how this applies to you

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I was quite correct in fact - I wasn't referring to you Keith, not sure why you would think so... Randall was talking to Caesar and I made a comment on Randall's post - not sure how this applies to you

Cool. No harm, no foul.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
This spiral toward ever higher prices does not change the fact that we haven't made that much progress in sound reproduction. I do think a 100 M truly unlikely but I do think we will begin to see multi-millions of US dollars systems with the way the prices are climbing eventually .. Problem is they are or will not be necessarily better than much less expensive system both subjectively and even less objectively in many (most) cases.

This will not end however much it is hurting the Industry in the long term.
+1 ...

Frank

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
Quoted from Magico website: "The Q7 is our finest achievement: a technical triumph that fully expresses the ultimate passion and capabilities of Magico." 94db efficiency from a sealed enclosure?!

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
They did say how they did it partially and in passing. The magnets appear to be the key. It's the same with the Ambience ribbon loudspeakers. The standard ribbons using more common magnets are a dismal 83dB sensitive. The higher models using massive Neodymiums jump to 95dB for practically the same ribbon size. I'm assuming most of this mass of rare earth is going to the woofers. My midrange drivers are 100dB sensitive and while they are beefier than most similarly sized midrange units I've held raw, the difference isn't all that obvious. What I would like to know out of curiosity is if these woofers have double vc's. It's an option silently offered by some driver subcontractors and OEM suppliers to corporate customers. It's something hardly ever seen in DIY supplier sites save for woofers intended for subwoofers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing