The Absolute Sound (magazine) take on many aspects of computer assisted music reprodu

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The latest issue of TAS has what (I assume) attempts to be a comprehensive evaluation of several aspects of (what I call) computer assisted music reproduction. I use that terminology because it's not exactly limited to music server use. They attempt to quantitatively rank (but using subjective criteria) a variety of computer related tasks.

1) audibility of different brands of CD-R's
2) audibility of different CD ripping programs
3) audibility of different CD writing (burning) programs
4) audibility of different "upsampling" programs, i.e. converting 16/44.1 digital audio to 24/96, 24/176.4, 32/192, etc., prior to sending the signal to a DAC
5) audibility of different computer music player software

and ranking of various hardware (disc drives, DAC's, etc)

I have done on my own some of the comparisons they have, and my own results (opinions) occasionally agree but more usually don't. I'm very curious to hear what others on this forum think about the article in general and the specific findings reported.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I was reading it this afternoon - and would like to read about other people agreement / disagreement with their rankings. But I am too ignorant on "computer assisted music reproduction" to have an opinion about the article. And I am always very cautious when reading these quantitative ranking articles.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Far too many to summarize briefly. One is that upsampling before DAC, even in real-time, results in clear sonic benefit, which I would say is a very controversial conclusion.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I'll assume all of this was sighted and expectation bias was in full-force!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The whole article is worth reading, if only to see a good illustration of the old adage "garbage in, garbage out", or perhaps more appropriately "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing". It's possible that it is all a hoax to see what or how many audiophiles might be taken in by the whole endeavor, but that would be markedly out of character for TAS. There are just enough reasonable, not very controversial, statements to give the entire article a semblance of credibility. However, I very much doubt that most of the opinions/conclusions will stand general scrutiny or be reproducible by others.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
One of the more (or less, depending on your level of interest) interesting things about this article is the fact that all the testing was done on two different Windows PC's; no Mac's. With the number of Mac using audiophiles and Mac music servers out there, that alone might lead one to question the article's applicability to the real world of audio, given the kind of judgements the authors are making.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Well, their media test results might actually agree with yours?

1. Mitsui MAM-A Gold
2. TY Green
3. Memorex Black/Gold
4. PNY Black Diamond
5. AudioXSell Black
6. HP Silver
7. TDK Silver

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
One of the more (or less, depending on your level of interest) interesting things about this article is the fact that all the testing was done on two different Windows PC's; no Mac's. With the number of Mac using audiophiles and Mac music servers out there, that alone might lead one to question the article's applicability to the real world of audio, given the kind of judgements the authors are making.

Well...they have just lost me.. :(

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
A couple of other assertions that seem questionable to me:

1) Playback of a disc (usually CD?) on a $25 Samsung CD/DVD drive, output S/PDIF coax from "an onboard sound card" to PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC resulted in better sound than the same disc played on PS Perfect Wave Transport (I can't test this one, not having the PS Audio stuff)

2) Ripping at different speeds w/ JRiver, but in each case with a bit-identical rip according to AccurateRip, results in different sound quality when those files are played back from hard drive (this one I can test but absolutely can NOT confirm)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
A couple of other assertions that seem questionable to me:

<snip> ...
2) Ripping at different speeds w/ JRiver, but in each case with a bit-identical rip according to AccurateRip, results in different sound quality when those files are played back from hard drive (this one I can test but absolutely can NOT confirm)

:D

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Here's another one:

starting with a 24/176.4 track from a Reference Recordings HRxD, upconverting to 24/192 (using Izotope RX Pro) will improve the sound.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
We will find many inconsistencies in the TAS article, mainly because we expect it to be more than what it can ever be. :)

It is clear from the article that all conclusions are anecdotal, depend a lot on the hardware configuration and on setup options of the software. The authors report their findings and sometimes even comment themselves that they do not understand why and how it happens. Their systematic ranking approach should not be taken absolutely, but has the big advantage of showing clearly in the field a few existing issues of the subject.

IMHO, the article has a very positive aspect - it shows that computer music has real potential, but it is still a very large jungle, where newcomers such as me can be lost easily.

Also, no one should read it without reading part I, that was published in issue 217, as it explains the objectives, the methodology and the ranking system they adopted.

This article is a starter - it shows only a few scenes of the whole film. I hope that those who are experts on this field will comment on it. And those who are naive enough to believe that they can learn everything they will ever need about computer audio reading an article in TAS can use it as as cookbook and shopping list! :rolleyes:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
We will find many inconsistencies in the TAS article, mainly because we expect it to be more than what it can ever be. :) ...

Also, no one should read it without reading part I, that was published in issue 217, as it explains the objectives, the methodology and the ranking system they adopted...

This article is a starter - it shows only a few scenes of the whole film.

The biggest problem I see in this pair of articles is the "mystifying" of computer audio. Yes, certainly there are things we can hear that can't be fully explained (yet), but this pair of articles takes it to an extreme.

I have to believe that if Reference Recordings could improve the sound of their 24/176.4 files by converting them to 24/192 they would be selling those (I certainly don't hear the difference the TAS article describes)

I have to believe that if a $25 drive mechanism sounds better than what PS Audio uses in their $3000 Perfect Wave Transport, they would be using it instead.

The authors of this article make a pretty big deal about both of those "phenomena" and several others of doubtful accuracy. For me, that tends to call into question nearly all of their conclusions, even though my own experience supports many of them.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I have to believe that if Reference Recordings could improve the sound of their 24/176.4 files by converting them to 24/192 they would be selling those (I certainly don't hear the difference the TAS article describes)

Perhaps I am mistaken, but I have the idea that I read long ago in this forum that some DACs did not sound their best at 176 kHz and performed much better at 192 kHz (or vice-versa). In such case it would be simply an hardware dependency, not a general property.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Well, their media test results might actually agree with yours?

1. Mitsui MAM-A Gold
2. TY Green
3. Memorex Black/Gold
4. PNY Black Diamond
5. AudioXSell Black
6. HP Silver
7. TDK Silver

This is solely dependent on the burner. I can get C1 errors at 0.5 and under with any of these discs using the correct burner. A Plextor burner works best on TY media, whereas a Sony works better on TDK and Lite-On with MAM-A. AND I've gotten these results burning 16x OR FASTER!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing