Cable Lifters!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Do they really make a difference?

I can't help but think this is of the snake-oil variety. Your thoughts, opinions and viewpoints are appreciated!

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks Steve...I kinda thought so. The subject came to mind after seeing that youtube video of George Cardas' audio set-up. He's well-respected and he uses them...so I thought???????

John

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
As with other audiophile tweaks I've yet to try, I remain sceptical, but open-minded, about the audio effects cable lifters. Like Steve said, they can be used to help tidy one's cables: I may pick up a few of the Shunyata cable lifters just for that purpose.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
As with other audiophile tweaks I've yet to try, I remain sceptical, but open-minded, about the audio effects cable lifters. Like Steve said, they can be used to help tidy one's cables: I may pick up a few of the Shunyata cable lifters just for that purpose.

I was thinking that a few paperback books placed strategically could offer the same result!:p, yet at ZERO cost.

John

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Clothes pins (remember those) work great. Just snap on the cable and the other end holds them off the floor. Paint them any color you like.

I would like someone to come up with an easy to use cable arrangement device to help the sphagetti behind my equipment rack. With power cords and interconnect between two racks and 15 pieces of equipment, I have yet to find a way to keep it organized (other than having all custom made cable lengths made).

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I think that one of the problem with evaluating cable elevators, towers, etc. is that act of moving or disturbing the cables affects the sound--and one has to wait for a period of time before careful evaluation. Now don't take this the wrong way, but the effects of this tweaks is heard best in the better resolving systems.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Id like to think I have a very resolving system but still found no audible difference.

Steve, If I remember correctly you're using Transparent MM2 Opus? That cable is in part designed to deal with resonance issues.

I think it might also be assuming too much that all cables are sensitive to vibration issues since there is such a variety of designs.

sharkaattack

May 6, 2010
Los Alamos, NM
Imho, I would have to say if the sound improved in a noticeable way by using cable lifters, then the cable wasn't designed all that well in the first place. Physically, any improvement would have to be the result of reducing the cable's interaction either with other cables or the floor or objects in the room. Isn't it a reasonable expectation for a well-designed cable to be shielded well enough from its surroundings that this wouldn't be an issue?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Imho, I would have to say if the sound improved in a noticeable way by using cable lifters, then the cable wasn't designed all that well in the first place. Physically, any improvement would have to be the result of reducing the cable's interaction either with other cables or the floor or objects in the room. Isn't it a reasonable expectation for a well-designed cable to be shielded well enough from its surroundings that this wouldn't be an issue?

Guess that's the difference between theory and reality :) The same could said for power supplies, etc. There's always tradeoffs and compromises in every circuit design or speaker ever built. If you want dynamics, you have to sacrifice from another area. It's how these different factors are combined and minimized that makes the difference.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve, If I remember correctly you're using Transparent MM2 Opus? That cable is in part designed to deal with resonance issues.

I think it might also be assuming too much that all cables are sensitive to vibration issues since there is such a variety of designs.

I use Valhalla for most everything with an occasional Tara Labs PC and Transparent cables from my tube buffer to the pair of Gothams

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I will try to remain as polite as possible. Cable elevators cannot make differences unless as noted earlier the cable is woefully, inadequately, impossibly ill-built, conceived, assembled .. I think you get the gist. There is no design involved in these. Some things simply cannot make a difference like for example, shining a light on a planar speaker membrane .. If that were to make a difference, then a person sneezing would affect the rings of Saturn in some way... I apologize for the strong tone but this is one of the things that cannot work.
The truth of it is that we, audiophiles, are too willing at times to accept things. I believe that a little bit of skepticism should be interjected in our audio nirvana quests. Some things simply can't work. Cable lifters are that .. Some would call them snake oil ...
If you want your system to look nice and tidy by all means use them but don't go for any "audiophile-approved" ones. Google "Porcelain insulators"... The "audiophile" cable lifters are simply re-badged , actually badged, porcelain insulators.. Porcelain insulators, Low Voltage Pin Type , what are sold as cable lifters, go for less than $3 each or even much less I have seen box of 25 for less than $15 ... Alternatively you can buy collectors item, some of these insulators were quite fancy and even pretty ...

Frantz

Frantz

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Here is what I use made by Precision Audio Products

here is their explanation as to how it works. Snake oil, science or a bit of both
The Reasoning

Precision Audio Products provides the following explanation on how and why cable elevators work:

Cables come in contact with a wide variety of flooring surfaces. Each can have a different effect on cable behavior. By elevating cables off the floor you eliminate static charge and you lower capacitance. The net effect is lower noise and increased dynamics. Another factor is the dampening of the natural modulation inherent to all cable. That is an electrical signal passing through a conductor (cabling) produces a desirable mechanical resonance that is dampened when placed on the floor. This also constricts dynamics and low-level detail. Placing cables in free space would be ideal.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I use Valhalla for most everything with an occasional Tara Labs PC and Transparent cables from my tube buffer to the pair of Gothams

Yes well I think the Valhalla can fall into the same classification as the Transparent. Hey Steve, how come you didn't go to the Odin?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing