Coloured vinyl pressings - Are they inferior?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Many people claim that coloured vinyl is of inferior quality as compared to the standard black. I don't quite get this assumption as black vinyl is also coloured. From my experience, although I only have a dozen or so non-black pressings, there is absolutely no difference in quality IMHO. The only drawback I see with some of these is that the separation between tracks is not as clearly visible, which makes cueing a little ackward, but that's about it.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I don`t thin so.... What I have found on the very few colored vinyl ones is an inferior recording quality.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Agree with Fernando, my colored vinyl doesn't have the same recording quality either. OTOH, that's not the color's fault:)

BTW, it doesn't make me lose any fat either Fernando...( At least I don't thin so;) ) Sorry, it's early in the morning here and I couldn't resist....:):)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have a couple of white vinyl from Crystal Clear and they sound fantastic. Well, they are direct to discs, and I find them as good as my black Crystal Clear D2Ds. The other ones would be blue vinyls from Concord Records, Karrin Allyson's 'Ballads', and they sound excellent as well. I guess the inferior sounding ones would be those red or orange vinyls from Taiwan. My mother had those.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I hunt down clear vinyl pressings as I think that many of them do sound better than the standard black, but as with everything audiophile, YMMV.

A long time ago, the research and development division of Riverside Records issued a bunch of LPs (the Fortissimo XK series) on what they called the Polymax compound. It's supposed to harden the groove surfaces and increases impact resistance beyond the ability of the stylus to "iron out" the more delicate sound impressions that contain the harmonic overtones and transients. It also contains a self-replenishing groove lubricant, and a lifetime anti-static agent. Unfortunately, most of the LPs had crappy music (like polkas and pipe organ recordings) but they sure sounded fine. They were a transparent red in color, and played from the inside-out instead of the outside-in.

Another excellent recording on clear red vinyl is Oscar Peterson's Nigerian Marketplace. While there's no information about the vinyl formulation used, it looks and feels very much like my Fortissimo LPs.

One of the best illustrations of how good some of these clear-vinyl LPs are is "The Mark II Purple Singles" by Deep Purple - it is a compilation album and SQ on compilations can sometimes be really bad. However, the version on clear-purple vinyl is far better than the black vinyl ones. In fact, the 'live' Smoke on the Water from Made in Japan is the best of any I've heard - including the first UK press and DCC remaster (do not buy the black "Remastered Edition" - it's really bad).

Lost Highway records, for their 10th Anniversary, are re-issueing some of their most popular titles in clear vinyl. I bought the Lucinda Williams - West and the SQ is excellent++ but very hard to cue as it's completely glass-clear. However, with LPs I generally play at least the whole side anyway. I'm looking forward to getting more of their titles. In particular, all the black vinyl Shelby Lynn - Just a Little Lovin' albums I have have ticks and pops, so I'm trying to find a clear vinyl copy without having to buy the whole box set.

Other colored vinyl don't fare as well - the tan vinyl version of Marvin Gaye's What's Going On is slightly noisier than the black vinyl version. The black has a few ticks but the tan seems to be a little hissy. A white vinyl LP from Air: Pocket Symphony is excellent. Most of the orange vinyl I have has been bad. So, may be colored vinyl isn't good, but clear is??

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I hunt down clear vinyl pressings as I think that many of them do sound better than the standard black, but as with everything audiophile, YMMV.

A long time ago, the research and development division of Riverside Records issued a bunch of LPs (the Fortissimo XK series) on what they called the Polymax compound. It's supposed to harden the groove surfaces and increases impact resistance beyond the ability of the stylus to "iron out" the more delicate sound impressions that contain the harmonic overtones and transients. It also contains a self-replenishing groove lubricant, and a lifetime anti-static agent. Unfortunately, most of the LPs had crappy music (like polkas and pipe organ recordings) but they sure sounded fine. They were a transparent red in color, and played from the inside-out instead of the outside-in.

Another excellent recording on clear red vinyl is Oscar Peterson's Nigerian Marketplace. While there's no information about the vinyl formulation used, it looks and feels very much like my Fortissimo LPs.

One of the best illustrations of how good some of these clear-vinyl LPs are is "The Mark II Purple Singles" by Deep Purple - it is a compilation album and SQ on compilations can sometimes be really bad. However, the version on clear-purple vinyl is far better than the black vinyl ones. In fact, the 'live' Smoke on the Water from Made in Japan is the best of any I've heard - including the first UK press and DCC remaster (do not buy the black "Remastered Edition" - it's really bad).

Lost Highway records, for their 10th Anniversary, are re-issueing some of their most popular titles in clear vinyl. I bought the Lucinda Williams - West and the SQ is excellent++ but very hard to cue as it's completely glass-clear. However, with LPs I generally play at least the whole side anyway. I'm looking forward to getting more of their titles. In particular, all the black vinyl Shelby Lynn - Just a Little Lovin' albums I have have ticks and pops, so I'm trying to find a clear vinyl copy without having to buy the whole box set.

Other colored vinyl don't fare as well - the tan vinyl version of Marvin Gaye's What's Going On is slightly noisier than the black vinyl version. The black has a few ticks but the tan seems to be a little hissy. A white vinyl LP from Air: Pocket Symphony is excellent. Most of the orange vinyl I have has been bad. So, may be colored vinyl isn't good, but clear is??

The original Ewing Nunn Audiophile releases were pressed on red vinyl. They're, such as Muskrat Ramble or Doc Evans at the Gaslight, among the best recordings you'll ever hear. Talk about mikestands! Nunn had his wife hold the mikes during the recordings :) I seem to remember that Rich/U47, has Nunn's original mikes now.

So also were the early Fantasy releases including the Cal Tjader recordings.

Carbon black was added to the vinyl slurry because of its antistatic properties, nothing else. Classic did demo that the clarity/clear vinyl did sound better.

So I'm not sure one can generalize unless they know how or what was used to "color" an LP.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Windham Hill record label has some colored vinyl recordings, with Piano on them (got few of those). That should be a good test on their sound quality or not.
Superior, inferior; I don't know though...

My turntables come in Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, ...and they all sound the same played on them. :b

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
The original Ewing Nunn Audiophile releases were pressed on red vinyl. They're, such as Muskrat Ramble or Doc Evans at the Gaslight, among the best recordings you'll ever hear. Talk about mikestands! Nunn had his wife hold the mikes during the recordings :) I seem to remember that Rich/U47, has Nunn's original mikes now.

So also were the early Fantasy releases including the Cal Tjader recordings.

Carbon black was added to the vinyl slurry because of its antistatic properties, nothing else. Classic did demo that the clarity/clear vinyl did sound better.

So I'm not sure one can generalize unless they know how or what was used to "color" an LP.

the nunn recordings of early jazz/dixie music on his Audiophile label were superb. many moons ago i saw an ad in audiomart (THE marketplace before audiogon, etc) and a collector was selling off his dupes, I bought them all. many were on red wax/gold label and all of them sounded amazing and changed my attitude on how life like mono can sound be vis-a-vis stereo recordings. it would be awesome if the tapes can be brought back as 45-rpm reissues and hi-def downloads.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
the nunn recordings of early jazz/dixie music on his Audiophile label were superb. many moons ago i saw an ad in audiomart (THE marketplace before audiogon, etc) and a collector was selling off his dupes, I bought them all. many were on red wax/gold label and all of them sounded amazing and changed my attitude on how life like mono can sound be vis-a-vis stereo recordings. it would be awesome if the tapes can be brought back as 45-rpm reissues and hi-def downloads.

Yes the gold/red wax are the ORIGINALS :) And many have said the same thing about the Audiophile monos. There's a very audiophile, Audiophile, Echoes of the Storm, that is mind blowing. The three best cuts are the hammer hitting the anvil, the water dripping into the pail and the second side with him recording a thunderstorm :)

The one thing that's always been puzzle to me, is that they do tend to be slightly bass shy. But if you read the album jackets, some of them at least, were recorded with a non-RIAA curve. Nunn even says to adjust your preamp EQ for the best sound :)

Two of them were reissued, The Salt City Six on Athena and Yellow Dog Blues on AP. So someone must have access to the tapes and maybe we should suggest to Chad to release a couple of the Audiophiles in 45 rpm format. Great suggestion and I'll mention it to Chad when I see him at CES!

PS. I miss Audiomart :)

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Yes the gold/red wax are the ORIGINALS :) And many have said the same thing about the Audiophile monos. There's a very audiophile, Audiophile, Echoes of the Storm, that is mind blowing. The three best cuts are the hammer hitting the anvil, the water dripping into the pail and the second side with him recording a thunderstorm :)

The one thing that's always been puzzle to me, is that they do tend to be slightly bass shy. But if you read the album jackets, some of them at least, were recorded with a non-RIAA curve. Nunn even says to adjust your preamp EQ for the best sound :)

Two of them were reissued, The Salt City Six on Athena and Yellow Dog Blues on AP. So someone must have access to the tapes and maybe we should suggest to Chad to release a couple of the Audiophiles in 45 rpm format. Great suggestion and I'll mention it to Chad when I see him at CES!

PS. I miss Audiomart :)

I miss echoes of the storm :) another stupid thing i did selling off all my nunn vinyl.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Considering what some LPs will go for, the Nunn originals aren't expensive. May because the Asian audiophiles haven't discovered them???

Original red wax Echoes of the Storm for $20:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Echoes-Stor...ic_on_Vinyl&hash=item255fd758e4#ht_2736wt_952

theres a few up for ~20, problem is echoes is more like a sound effects record and prob played to death as many of the Audiophile Lp i've seen - scratched surfaces and spindle marks galore. someones VG is like my VG minus is most cases. i was lucky to buy a cache that were NM to unplayed - much harder to acquire. thats what i dont miss about LP collecting, buying mulitplies to find one or two keepers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing