Best Burger

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
not fine dining, but food related.

who served you the best burger? what's your recipe for the best burger?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Great thread! Lot of answers :).

For now, one of them. We were quite starved for good burgers when we moved into Seattle area. But got lucky about a year ago when a branch of a burger place from Hawaii of all placed, opened here. It is called Teddy's: http://teddysbiggerburgers.com/

What makes their burgers special is that they grind their own meet and as such, get away with server the burgers medium with the center still pink. Needless to say, they are quite juicy. Couple that with really fresh bun, interesting sauce (kind of of like thin thousand island), and really good fries and you have a really nice burger.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

JeffMac

Jun 4, 2010

For now, one of them. We were quite starved for good burgers when we moved into Seattle area. But got lucky about a year ago when a branch of a burger place from Hawaii of all placed, opened here. It is called Teddy's: http://teddysbiggerburgers.com/

What makes their burgers special is that they grind their own meet and as such, get away with server the burgers medium with the center still pink. Needless to say, they are quite juicy. Couple that with really fresh bun, interesting sauce (kind of of like thin thousand island), and really good fries and you have a really nice burger.

Just as a note, grinding your own meat has very little if nothing to do with e-coli or the meat being safe to eat when cooked under 165 degrees. It's either on the meat or it isn't. E-coli doesn't happen in the grinding process (unless the person who is doing the grinding has e-coli on them or the machinery. The bacteria happens from improper butchering practices. Unless the place actually butchers their own cows it has little meaning.

JeffMac

Jun 4, 2010
One of my favorites is Zuni Cafe in San Francisco. Always voted best burger in SF. The night before they cut tthe beef (chuck) into strips and add salt and pepper. It's then left until the morning when they gring it for the burgers. The seasoning is everywhere in the meat. It's then grilled over mesquite charcoal and put on the perfect size bun to match the meat. For us anal people the meat to bun ratio is important. The burgers so good on it's own that one does not want to color it with a whole lot of condiments and vegetable decorations. One of the great hamburgers.
http://www.zunicafe.com/menus.html

wineslob

Aug 5, 2010

Reminds me of what Tomkats Grille in Koloa used to be. Sadly they have gone to Kirkland patties because of the economy taking a dump on Kauai. They used to have a bunch of cats, but were down to one the last time I was there. ('08)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
One day I'm at the grocery in Rockwell Mall getting ready for a summer cook out with family friends and I see Ground Wagyu, Buy one Take one. Hmmmm. This is a part of Metro Manila with lots of Japanese expats and I see a few of them in the grocery. I quickly make friends with the butcher. Hey Manong (term of respect translated to big brother) can you package these into patties for me? Sure he says showing me the quarter pound ring mold. Go for it!

Back at home I'm wondering what to do. These patties must be 80% fat, maybe more. I've got to melt a whole lot of that off. I'm thinking this is one of the very rare cases where cooking more than medium will actually taste better as is the case when eating wagyu yakiniku style. Off to the grill you will go.....later. Knowing it will be very rich I start thinking of ways to balance things out. Drawing inspiration from Pintxo (Tapas) crawls in Donostia (San Sebastian, Spain) I decide to make my version of a Rojo which is a red pepper puree with Garlic, red wine vinegar, lemon, salt and pepper reduced over heat. Sticking to the inspiration of making a "Hamburguesa" I figure hmmm, how about some Iberian ham slices I have in the fridge? How's THAT for a bacon substitute? Now I'm getting guilty. I need some veggies in there and I do need crunch. Baby Arugula with nothing more than lemon juice, quality EVOO, salt and pepper. Just one last thing. What goes well with Arugula and the garlic in the Rojo? Cambazola cheese! It's blue but not that funky. Melts great too.

A dozen burgers served later the winner of the best unsolicited reaction came from my friend Jeena.

Holy ____, I just forgot my name! LOL!

I wish I'd taken pictures!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
There's a little hole in the wall here in Charlotte, NC called Lupe's Cafe that will make you a burger topped with Texas chili that is, as they say, to die for. If the TX chili isn't enough heat for you they'll melt some pepper jack cheese on there and top it with pickled jalapeños. It is heaven for a few minutes, hell a few hours later. Or you can just eat the chili straight. Not for the feint of heart.

Tim

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
There are so many great burger places in the US that it is hard to name the best. I prefer the cheesesteak anyway! :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
There's a little hole in the wall here in Charlotte, NC called Lupe's Cafe that will make you a burger topped with Texas chili that is, as they say, to die for. If the TX chili isn't enough heat for you they'll melt some pepper jack cheese on there and top it with pickled jalapeños. It is heaven for a few minutes, hell a few hours later. Or you can just eat the chili straight. Not for the feint of heart.

Tim

Hi Tim

Pinehurst NC is on my bucket list. I just need to get my golf game back. I'm a weakling when it comes to heat but that's never stopped me from liking a good helping of Chili!

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
and top it with pickled jalapeños. It is heaven for a few minutes, hell a few hours later. Or you can just eat the chili straight. Not for the feint of heart.

Tim
Jalepenos are relative mild nowadays for chili heads. A number of Ghost varieties will truly burn ones butt!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing