Magico S5

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
It's only been a couple of weeks since his last posts; I wouldn't assume he won't be back...

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that subject. I think while you might come to a different conclusion using digital, it wouldn't be the right conclusion.

The video interview you did was very well done that is a lot harder to do than it looks. Still not a Magico fan maybe I have not heard the right set up yet. Anyway good job.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
mep too. my guess is it was related to that spat about calling mep a whipping boy, etc. where there were some severe warnings.

I must have missed all that… That is a shame. Myles review of the S5 is superb, both in writing and in this video. I found his posts generally even and courteous.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I must have missed all that… That is a shame. Myles review of the S5 is superb, both in writing and in this video. I found his posts generally even and courteous.
If by "generally" you mean more than half the time that's probably an accurate statement. He's still active on other forums with a large overlap in membership with this one, sometimes it's hard for me to notice who's posting what where (except poor Northstar, who manages to get himself banned everywhere :(

pelo911

Nov 21, 2013
Houston , Texas - USA
Hi

i have Focal Maestro
Vitus SM-101 Mono
Pass XP-10 Pre
regular PC with Luxman DA-06 DAC

i don't like the sound so much
weak bass (i thought the Maestro should have great bass)

i thought maybe to replace them with Magico S5 or Q5
anyone here had a chance to compare the Maestro with Magico?

someone told me the Maestro need Devialet 200 or 400
because the Vitus only 100W per channel , and the Maestro need more power to drive well.

i'm not sure.

Thanks

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
Strange, I've auditioned the Maestros in my room and have heard it countless times at the dealer showroom and if anything, I feel that the Maestros have a bit too much bass, certainly more than what the Q5 or S5 delivers. Further, the way these speakers present bass is quite different, with the Maestros bass somewhat ripe and loose vs the Magico's tight and taut presentation. In short, if more bass is what you're after, the Magicos may not be the answer. Maybe you should climb the Focal ladder up to the Stella.

Further, while The vitus are great amps, 100w may not be enough for the maestro, certainly way short of what is needed to drive the S5 or the even more inefficient Q5 properly. For any of these speakers, I'd start with at least 200 watts.

pelo911

Nov 21, 2013
Houston , Texas - USA
Strange, I've auditioned the Maestros in my room and have heard it countless times at the dealer showroom and if anything, I feel that the Maestros have a bit too much bass, certainly more than what the Q5 or S5 delivers. Further, the way these speakers present bass is quite different, with the Maestros bass somewhat ripe and loose vs the Magico's tight and taut presentation. In short, if more bass is what you're after, the Magicos may not be the answer. Maybe you should climb the Focal ladder up to the Stella.

Further, while The vitus are great amps, 100w may not be enough for the maestro, certainly way short of what is needed to drive the S5 or the even more inefficient Q5 properly. For any of these speakers, I'd start with at least 200 watts.

i heard the S3 at the CES show , like them very much
with my Maestro , maybe something is wrong with my setup
or the Vitus not have enough power to drive them , this is why the lack of bass ?

what Amp usually drive the S5 or Maestro?

Stella using Magnetic bass driver , it's easier to drive then the Maestro.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
or the Vitus not have enough power to drive them , this is why the lack of bass ?

Do you have a photo of your system so we can see the relationship between the speakers and the room?

bvdiman

Mar 7, 2013
pelo911, if recalled correctly I have seen pics of your system elsewhere.
If it is still same, problem mainly lies with your room and set-up positioning, imo.
No matter which speakers you ended up with, it will be a waste of money until you have the former addressed first.
Do post latest pics so guys here can help suggest more meaningful solutions.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC

Spectral 260 will drive the Magico S5 nicely. Also, I've heard the big Plinius drive the Q3 with aplomb.

pelo911

Nov 21, 2013
Houston , Texas - USA
pelo911, if recalled correctly I have seen pics of your system elsewhere.
If it is still same, problem mainly lies with your room and set-up positioning, imo.
No matter which speakers you ended up with, it will be a waste of money until you have the former addressed first.
Do post latest pics so guys here can help suggest more meaningful solutions.

new house

IMG_0101.jpg

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
I disagree with you. His Vitus amp is way more than enough to drive the S5 or Q7 -I have extensive experience listening to this combo in a very big room. Even the 25W A-class integrated Vitus amp drivers the S5 without any problems. Keep in mind that nominal power doesn't mean much. What matters most is impulse power, current capacity...
With my Q1, 25W is not enough as with all 2 ways they have a lower efficiency. 100W Vitus is perfect match for it. With Q5, you are better off with 300W.
Maestro has a rife and mushy bass (not tight and controlled enough for me). If he is not hearing enough bass, most probable it is a room mode issue, not electronics. First thing I would do is to take measurements before spending a fortune in new equipment. Then I would replace the speakers ;-)

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Pelo,
I see the problem in the photo...
You need to sit between the speakers and not to one side :D
Only joking, btw I love the curved staircase (what shows but to my mind they are stylish).

Cheers
Orb

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
Pelo, try spreading your speakers as far as is domestically or aesthetically possible. Not only will your bass improve as you move your speakers nearer to the corners, your soundstage will also open up.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Pelo, try spreading your speakers as far as is domestically or aesthetically possible. Not only will your bass improve as you move your speakers nearer to the corners, your soundstage will also open up.

+1

pelo911

Nov 21, 2013
Houston , Texas - USA
Pelo,
I see the problem in the photo...
You need to sit between the speakers and not to one side :D
Only joking, btw I love the curved staircase (what shows but to my mind they are stylish).

Cheers
Orb

it's not me , it's my Brother :)

when i'm watching a movie , i'm getting amazing sound !
bass and dynamic , really great !
i watch "Neighbors" yesterday , sound like i have a very big sub-woofer.

i'm not sure what is the problem with Music.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing