Magico S5

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
how do you change records...straddle the mono blocks ?

More or less :) Depth is a little deceiving. Good argument for flexibility.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Wow, you got the S5? Congratulations!! How do you like them? You are in for an enlightening trip. Enjoy.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Wow, you got the S5? Congratulations!! How do you like them? You are in for an enlightening trip. Enjoy.

They're in house now for review. :)

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
+ 1. Looking forward to your impressions of the S5's Myles!

Last edited:

BiggusD

Nov 10, 2013
The first picture I have ever seen of the S5's with the grilles!

Gorgeous looking power amps, by the way...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The first picture I have ever seen of the S5's with the grilles!

Gorgeous looking power amps, by the way...

I'll listen both ways but IIRC Martin Colloms preferred them sans grilles. I have them there to cat proof the speakers ;)

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
The grills are perfect for cat protection since they easily go on and off. When I got my S5s last week one of the first things I tried was grills on/off. With them on there is a very slight muffling in the sound. Take them off and the sound opens up a bit. For me it is very obvious, and I suspect it would even be apparent in a blind A/B test.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I'll listen both ways but IIRC Martin Colloms preferred them sans grilles. I have them there to cat proof the speakers ;)

bah if Magico did a modern V2 speaker as S2 then such a speaker would not need to be cat proof; do not mind me just irritated there was no S2 model when I was looking to upgrade speakers as I was always a fan of the V2 but it required really good room placement (that an S2 I believe would overcome being more room benign) :)

Cheers
Orb

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
bah if Magico did a modern V2 speaker as S2 then such a speaker would not need to be cat proof; do not mind me just irritated there was no S2 model when I was looking to upgrade speakers as I was always a fan of the V2 but it required really good room placement (that an S2 I believe would overcome being more room benign) :)

Cheers
Orb

That's funny. I'm waiting for a Q2, but perhaps there is no room for such a speaker in their line up.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Cheers
Orb

Ahh, the V2's. I remember them - the only Magicos I ever owned. Nice midrange but man where they rolled off on top.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Ahh, the V2's. I remember them - the only Magicos I ever owned. Nice midrange but man where they rolled off on top.

yeah, and influenced heavily by the room as well.
Still amazed they did not release a S2 model before S1, but then that would probably eat heavily into S3 sales.
Love the top end frequency of the latest Magico S range and integrates with the mid, big improvement over V2/V3 IMO.

cheers
Orb

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Finally had a chance to hear a pair of S5s (with VAC electronics). Big disappointments. Having been duly impressed with bass of the S3 at Axpona, the S5 in a bigger room (with lots of adjacent open space) produced far less of it. Mid's and highs did not do anything for me either, and overall not very musical or involving at all. I am getting much better sounds from my Evolution Acoustics MM3s in my own room. So I heard the Alexia's and S5s as potential contenders to replace the the MM3s and neither one made the cut. Of course others have other experience and report Magico and Wilson leaving the MM3s in the dust. Without hearing it myself I'm not going near these speakers. Next on the list is hearing the TAD Reference.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Finally had a chance to hear a pair of S5s (with VAC electronics). Big disappointments. Having been duly impressed with bass of the S3 at Axpona, the S5 in a bigger room (with lots of adjacent open space) produced far less of it. Mid's and highs did not do anything for me either, and overall not very musical or involving at all. I am getting much better sounds from my Evolution Acoustics MM3s in my own room. So I heard the Alexia's and S5s as potential contenders to replace the the MM3s and neither one made the cut. Of course others have other experience and report Magico and Wilson leaving the MM3s in the dust. Without hearing it myself I'm not going near these speakers. Next on the list is hearing the TAD Reference.
Since you were so favorably impressed with the Magico S3 speakers, why not consider them? I have heard several reports claiming that they are the most musically engaging speakers in the Magico lineup, at least in part due to their new midrange enclosure which is not currently used in any of their other models.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Since you were so favorably impressed with the Magico S3 speakers, why not consider them? I have heard several reports claiming that they are the most musically engaging speakers in the Magico lineup, at least in part due to their new midrange enclosure which is not currently used in any of their other models.

In retrospect I think I was completely floored by the amount and quality of the bass produced by the S3 (in a relatively small room) and got infatuated with that. I don't think I was totally in love with the speakers overall balance/presentation, and I doubt very much they could match performance of my MM3s in my room. The S5s obviously did not win me over either so I will take Magico off the list of speakers of potential MM3 replacements (I'm in no hurry anyway, because my new Spectral amps have elevated performance of the MM3s to a new level).

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

You should try hearing the S5's with Spectral. I heard the S5's with tube amps once and the combo was terrible.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
You should try hearing the S5's with Spectral. I heard the S5's with tube amps once and the combo was terrible.

Too much hassle - I have to fall in love with a speaker / system to be intrigued enough to want to hear it in my own room. Did not happen with the S5. If I ever walk into Spectral/Magico room and magic happens, I would reconsider. To be fair (to Magico), I believe this was a very poor setup.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

I wouldn't generalize based on one time and one tube amplifier. The S5s sound great not only with my amps but also the Absolare (as long as you don't listen at 110 db). You also don't know if you're complaining about the rest of the system, cables, room, etc.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
In retrospect I think I was completely floored by the amount and quality of the bass produced by the S3 (in a relatively small room) and got infatuated with that. I don't think I was totally in love with the speakers overall balance/presentation, and I doubt very much they could match performance of my MM3s in my room. The S5s obviously did not win me over either so I will take Magico off the list of speakers of potential MM3 replacements (I'm in no hurry anyway, because my new Spectral amps have elevated performance of the MM3s to a new level).

If you want to know what Magico is capable of, listen to the Q series. The Q3 is a fantastic speaker. IMO, it would be premature to write of an entire brand based on your experience with the S5.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I wouldn't generalize based on one time and one tube amplifier. The S5s sound great not only with my amps but also the Absolare (as long as you don't listen at 110 db). You also don't know if you're complaining about the rest of the system, cables, room, etc.

I can easily give them a pass for less than impressive bass, because of room. However, in the relatively large space, I would expect them to at least "disappear" (which they did not), and there was a definite harshness on the vocals.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing