Magico S5

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
This announcement caught me by surprise. It seems like a wholly new direction. Higher value, more life-style design. I own the Mini2 and am intrigued by the curved cabinet. I wonder if they could have designed the Q1 with a curved cabinet and basically created an all aluminum version of the Mini. Also, I wonder if the curved cabinet of the S series and the curved baffle of the Q series would be the ultimate statement. The baffle may be where some cost cutting is evident. It will be interesting to see if this new speaker competes with the Sasha. There are some good speakers in the high $20K segment.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Anybody want to play "Name the Paint Code"?

In Myles' link I'm betting Ferrari's Rosso Fuoco. I think I spy MacLaren's Volcano Orange in this one.

Sorry. Couldn't resist the cross hobby geekiness.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Haha...I think you should look at "Audi colours"....Q1, Q3, Q5, S5...all Audi models .... which makes Magico a Germany related company haha just kidding Alon ;-)

Anybody want to play "Name the Paint Code"?

In Myles' link I'm betting Ferrari's Rosso Fuoco. I think I spy MacLaren's Volcano Orange in this one.

Sorry. Couldn't resist the cross hobby geekiness.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
M3,M5 and Mini is BMW owned and made LOL

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Laugh Out Loud Bro :)

vess

Nov 4, 2012
Sofia, Bulgaria
www.audio-bg.com
Hi, never listened to Q3, but S5 is so good. And keenly priced.

Vess

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi, never listened to Q3, but S5 is so good. And keenly priced.

Vess

Having listened to both, I'd pay the relatively small price difference and take the Q3 over the S5. It's more articulate, refined, disappears better and takes up less space. The S5s are a lot bigger than the photos suggest. A lot.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Wow, I had the opposite impression!
I've heard the S5 right after the Q7, with the same setup (Soulution), and the S5 impressed me more than the Q7 (in relative terms, of course). Also heard the Q3 in the same setup, but on a different day so couldn't put them side by side...
It seemed a bit wider than the Q3, but not as deep, as the Q3 is "boxy".
The S5 plays louder, with more punch, and the trade off is indeed a little less refinement.
I guess it'll depend on ancilliary electronics and what kind of music you hear. For rock and jazz, the S5 was amazing for its price.

alexandre

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I quit like the the S5 , only minor in my opinion is the wide baffle , which makes it sound a little boxy.
If i was in it for real i would still buy a used V3 ,exxelent speaker , i pressume one gets a little tired of the " hard " berylium dome after a while.
V3 s profesionally demoed with zanden electronics and tw acoustic/da vinci/koetsu stone body might be the best demo i have heard period.
Q7 is a great speaker as well, relatively spoken

Just my opinion

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Peter iirc you own the mini series 2 .
As an owner would you say the berylium dome is that much better , (okay maybe a little bit more detail )
Or that the alu/steel housing is that much better over the alu / birchply housing(mini 2 )

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Andromeda, That's an interesting question and one that I've been thinking about ever since I heard the Q3 last summer and the Q7 just a few days ago. Even though my Mini 2s are smaller two way speakers, their cabinets influence the sound more than the larger Q series. I'm astonished at how the Q7 disappeared given its huge size. I think the Mini is a much better looking design, especially in a more traditional room setting, but the Q series is just a more advanced and successful sounding design.

The Q3 and Q7 are certainly more detailed than my Mini 2, though I don't know how much my system context influences than versus the Spectral/MIT system in which I heard the Qs. I presume the berylium tweeter has a lot to do with it and I found it to sound very natural, not fatiguing in any way. Having said that, the Mini 2 is a bit more forgiving, a bit warmer sounding and some might find that very appealing. I'm happy with the Mini 2 for now and would really like to own the Q3 someday, though it may be a bit large for my room. It is certainly an easier load for the amplifier to drive. A used pair of Mini 2s for $16,000 represents an incredible value in speakers right now, IMO. I am very impressed with how quickly Magico is developing new designs that seem to keep getting better and better. I have not heard the Q1 yet.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing