iPad2: how much memory?

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I'm considering an iPad2 for my wife for XMas, and wondered what you guys thought about the extra memory versions. She'll use it mainly for reading, net browsing, & a few games.

Lee

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
We're going to have to creat an iPad forum :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I'm considering an iPad2 for my wife for XMas, and wondered what you guys thought about the extra memory versions. She'll use it mainly for reading, net browsing, & a few games.

Lee
Browsing takes no space. Reading takes very little (way less than a Gigabyte). A few games will be small too. What will be big is larger library of music (compressed files are about 3 megabytes each so 1000 would be 3 Gigabytes). Or storing video. If these are not there, then any size will do.

That said, since Apple doesn't allow expansion then spending extra may be worth it to get it as far as future obsolescence.

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
Unless you are storing video or music content on your Ipad there is no need for anything larger than the smallest size. I have two 16GB tablets and after loading many applications (but no music or video since I access my files through the network) I still have about 11GB free on each one.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
If you already have a 'family" computer a"kindle" type device may be a better choice. That said i do love the ipad.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
If you already have a 'family" computer a"kindle" type device may be a better choice. That said i do love the ipad.

She has a Kindle. She needs something portable that she can websurf on (larger than her smartphone), play a few games, read occasionally, and watch internet TV broadcasts. I'm thinking the 16GB model will do just fine.

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
My wife also has a Kindle but keeps asking about the iPad/Amazon Fire because she likes to have color for some of her books she buys. And apps she can run for her business.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I have the smallest iPod Touch which I use for a few apps, a remote and portable music. I enjoy the process of choosing what music to put on my iPod for the next couple of weeks listening and then listening to it, rather than having a massive library in my pocket, so I've never felt the need for a bigger one. The iPad - we have one coming for Christmas - will just be used around the house and always connected to the family library of music files, so I really so no reason to get any extra memory.

Tim

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

OK

Like the iPad, use, the Ipad , impressed by the iPad .. Tried the Kindle Fire .. PRefer the Kindle Fire... Heresy for many here but please do take one .. and run its application or read a book, smooth response.. Good video defintion, .. Price ? $200 and the Amazon ecosystem is very good and the number of apps increasing and ...
Did I say I love it? I am an avid reader and the Kindle Fire expereince is IMO superior to what I get from the iPad ..YMMV

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
OK

Like the iPad, use, the Ipad , impressed by the iPad .. Tried the Kindle Fire .. PRefer the Kindle Fire... Heresy for many here but please do take one .. and run its application or read a book, smooth response.. Good video defintion, .. Price ? $200 and the Amazon ecosystem is very good and the number of apps increasing and ...
Did I say I love it? I am an avid reader and the Kindle Fire expereince is IMO superior to what I get from the iPad ..YMMV

Frantz,

Have you run into any of the issues cited by Amir here:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?4428-Mini-Review-Amazon-Kindle-Fire-Tablet

The Fire is an attractive option, but I'm not sold yet.

Lee

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I read a review recently that panned the Kindle Fire... They preferred the color Nook. I love to read before dozing off at night, and my wife hates the light, so some sort of ereader would be nice. I was surprised to see that a lot of the books are fairly pricey, comparable to a paperback, at least in my small sampling of titles. I expected steep discounts without having a physical medium.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Every book I have looked up is cheaper Don but I am not into fiction and such. And yes, Nook is getting good writeup. The one already it misses is video where Amazon is much stronger.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I can't make up my mind but saving money is a Good Thing right now so I won't get any of them.

By all accounts the basic B/W versions have much higher contrast and much longer battery life for basic reading. Color implies magazines, then games and videos, at which point you might as well get one of the tablets out there. I have never been fond of trying to watch a movie on a tiny little screen.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I can't make up my mind but saving money is a Good Thing right now so I won't get any of them.

By all accounts the basic B/W versions have much higher contrast and much longer battery life for basic reading. Color implies magazines, then games and videos, at which point you might as well get one of the tablets out there. I have never been fond of trying to watch a movie on a tiny little screen.

I watch movies on my 13" MacBook fairly often. My theory is that if I'm lying in bed and the MacBook is sitting right on my chest with the screen just a foot or so away, it's a pretty big TV at that point. At least as big as a 50" is from across the room. And I get to watch what I want instead of my wife's stream of chick flicks. :)

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing