The Sheffield Lab Drum & Track Disc?

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
How's a guy get his hands on the actual DxD copy? I'm seen it online, but it was a CD version of the DxD copy.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
How's a guy get his hands on the actual DxD copy? I'm seen it online, but it was a CD version of the DxD copy.
The one I just post is DXD on Amazon.

The description from Amazon is wrong ("Audio CD").

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Tidal has the XRCD version. It actually sounds good if you have Tidal setup in a very transparent way using FIFO buffers and ASIO.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

Are you sure it's actually 24/352.8 PCM on the disk? How does it all fit, is it a DVD?

I assumed it was mastered in DxD, but down sampled to 16/44.1 for CD.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

This is the one I did for FIM. The mastering was done in 24/352.8kHz, but ultimately converted to Redbook. Too bad Winston doesn't offer the download. Sounds spectacular!

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
This is the one I did for FIM. The mastering was done in 24/352.8kHz, but ultimately converted to Redbook. Too bad Winston doesn't offer the download. Sounds spectacular!

That's what I figured. Wanna send me the DxD version via Google drive? :) I would kill to load it on my Mirus SD card transport and listen to it.

I would pay $50 for that download.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Bruce, have you compared the digital version you did to the original direct to disc LP which you can play on your SME table?

I don't have a copy of the LP, but when Winston and I were remastering the album, we did go back and forth listening to the LP on his system, trying to make the new file sound better.

Would love to get a nice copy of the LP though.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Have a new /unopened LP of this . Send PM if interested.

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
And if you get AnyDVD HD, in combination with DVD Audio Extractor, you can rip blu ray music tracts.

A few tricks with AnyDVD HD for ripping DTS tracks, even DTS HD tracks. In the menu, select the "Demux" and it will rip the original DTS or DTS-HD track without change. JRiver will actually play the original DTS or DTS-HD track. However, I use JRiver to convert to FLAC.

fallingforstars

Oct 19, 2016
Sure did...
Winston also felt the original recording was too "dead". So I did an "ambience recovery" which I felt put the drums in a more lively space without it getting too smeared with reverb. Also "fixed" the drum transients so they have more snap and did a few EQ adjustments. I felt it really showed what could be done.

Hi Bruce. I've just joined the WB forum purely to ask this question (well two actually), was Jim Keltner's cough right at the end of his improv reinstated on the DXD version? (it was deleted on the xrcd), and sonically what were the differences between the XRCD and DXD versions as I have the xrcd version and it sounds really punchy and dynamic. You can still hear the odd slight artefact from the original tape through headphones but the suppression of noise overall is pretty darn good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing