The return of state sales tax

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
There is legislating pending in congress that would help out brick and mortar stores.

Mail order(internet) houses would be required to collect sales tax on all thier merchandise. It's in it's infancy now

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have been at the short end of this for a while. Amazon is located in our state so we pay sales tax that others do not. But get this. I used to buy all of my woodworking and power tools from some outfit in North Carolina (?). Amazon bought them five years ago or so and as a result, I got stuck paying sales tax on that too!

My start up is with my partner in LA. So I got to fill out California income tax forms too :(. What happened to no taxation without representation? :)

Randy Bessinger

Jun 29, 2010
Actually in many states such as Mo where I am located, while there is no sales tax imposed on out of state purchase, consumers are supposed to pay a use tax if buying somethiing not for resale. Mo went so far as sending out forms a few years ago with income tax returns for individuals to self-report. Lasted one year I think.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Many states have tried that but as you say, they have had difficulty collecting. Their preference is to get the merchant to pay as there are fewer of them to chase, then the citizens.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Actually you are supposed to voluntarily pay it yourself. Smile.

That was the issue- how to collect it. Apparently merchants want help with the software to calculate the tax for fifty states. It also can vary for cities and counties. Yikes! Curiously Amazon is in favor of this.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Look at the bright side, practically everywhere else in the world there's a form of Value Added Tax or GST applied. We're at 12% on almost everything.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing