Basic questions regarding benefits of ripping SACD's

Kippyy

Feb 20, 2011
San Ramon, CA
As a digital neophyte with regards to understanding anything close to what Brice does about digital audio, I've followed the recent threads on this forum with interest. I'm hoping that I'm not the only one with some fundamental questions which include:
1) What are the benefits of ripping an SACD to someone that has a quality SACD player(one that retains reading the DSD in its native format and does not convert to PCM)? I can understand why someone without the ability to play SACDs directly in a transport might wish to convert and digitize these files, as without this, they can only listen to the CD layer or not at all.

2) Does converting SACD in DSD format to PCM in some fashion dilute or adulterate the sonic benefits of the DSD format? That is, shouldn't the SACD played in an SACD player sound at least as good as the same disc ripped to PCM?

3) In considering software that converts SACD to digital files, as I understand it one needs to purchase a used PS3 or invest in costly hardware. That is, my Apple computer cannot be used to accomplish this conversion?

4) If Brice is already converting SACD's to PCM for HD Tracks, why purchase a $30-50 SACD to convert, when these are becoming available for purchase already converted at reduced cost and time?
Thanks.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Great questions!

1. Convience - putting the files on a server device and being to randomly choose what you want. The only way you can do this with a physical disc is to put them in jukeboxes.

2. Any conversion of DSD degrades the sound in some part. Even a top notch SACD player changes the DSD information in some way with filtering. Converting the DSD information to PCM "may" make the sound worse than going through a SACD player directly.

3. That is correct. You will need a PS3 with firmware no later than 3.55 and capable of playing SACD's. Or, a Sonoma or Pyramix workstation.

4. I don't know. Maybe it's because people want choices? Buying an upsampled SACD doen't hurt as much? Hopefully in the near future, HDtracks will be releasing the raw DSD files that were on the SACD. Until then, I am slowly converting every one of them to 176.4

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing