Stereo tube amp recommendations

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Looking for some ideas, guys. I have extremely sensitive speakers, so wattage not terribly important.

No Audio Research---or other more SS-sounding tube amps....but not euphonic like Cary. I'm more in the middle these days---leaning towards a bit of color.

Cheers,

KeithR

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Looking for some ideas, guys. I have extremely sensitive speakers, so wattage not terribly important.

No Audio Research---or other more SS-sounding tube amps....but not euphonic like Cary. I'm more in the middle these days---leaning towards a bit of color.

Cheers,

KeithR

cj, the small VAC amps like the Rennaissance series, EAR, the Cary 805, all come to mind.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agree with Myles on the CJ. Dont know much about VAC other than its excellent reputation. I would suggest you might also look at Lamm, Shindo and Wavac (805). Good luck and pls keep us posted.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Keith, you might consider the David Berning amps. They are not particularly well known but deserve to be. OTOH, I would recommend an ARC D series amp, I love my D70mk2 and IMHO it doesn't sound at all ss like:) Plus, the prices these days are in the STEAL category.:cool:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I support the Leben recommendation above, as well as adding to the list Air Tight and Wavelenght.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My ARC system does not sound like SS ... BTW, the new REF150 also sounds really good :)

But if you need something different from ARC I second Myles suggestion - you should listen to conrad johnson.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
this is like asking for a tire recommendation without knowing the make and model of car! keith, what speakers and budget?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'd look at the De Havilland GM70 and the Mastersound Compact 845 1A. I'd also look at what ART Audio has been up to lately. All should be in your budget ballpark.

For a lot of bucks less, I'd also look at Almarro's 6c33B SET integrateds.

- note: I am in no way connected with any of these companies.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Thanks guys.

My budget is 10k and will be used on Zu Definition 4s.

If you're not in big rush, and you're using a preamp, I'd give the Decware Zen TORII MK III a try for the 30 day trial period.

I don' t think there's any tube amp that has so many tuning options.

The Leben products have a two month waiting list. I'm still waiting for my CS 600.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Thanks guys.

My budget is 10k and will be used on Zu Definition 4s.

Keith,
you got any info links on those Zu Definitions 4s as it would be handy for those with tube amp experience.
I only found info on Definition Mk3.

Thanks
Orb

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Sweet,
look very interesting used with a tube amp and seems to give you heck of a lot of options in that regard.
Cheers
Orb

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I designed these and only made 36 pairs, but they are sold out and not a current product. So, not sure I would be out of line to recommend these, but you might be able to get a pair on the 'gon and have a lot of change left to buy music. Among those in the know, they are legendary. Every pair that goes on sale are snapped up within a week.

http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/genesis/m60.html

Mods: If I'm out of line recommending one of my products, please delete.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Gary,
I have read good things from posters in a different forum about either those or another amp you did.
Cheers
Orb

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Keith - any update here? Was wondering what would happen if you took CJ mv60 or mv60se and sent it back to CJ for Teflon capacitor upgrade? They did that on someone's Premier 8s and apparently it was a great improvement.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I have researched/looked at a lot of these options (and owned a few)

Shindo is similar and a bit better than Leben---and I have had a Montille and Haut Brion in my room. Like the tone, but not enough dynamics. Was really thinking about the Cortese, which is better than either the other two, and ironically---has more bass. But 11k for a stereo 28lb amp is just hard to swallow.

CJ- doesn't seem like anything in the line between entry level and ART. Must be something at CES coming out. I think the special amps are probably only the ARTs which are out of my range.

Lamm- Just out of my budget. Even for a used pair of ML2.1s.

Dehavilland- have had in room for a demo. sound was good, but don't like the styling of the amps. Kara needs to put the Fisher KT88s finish on her other amps.

Mastersound- have owned the EL34 version which was quite good for the money. Zu says the Compact 845 is not enough resolution and bass for my speakers---which I find hard to believe. I tried to find a Ref 845 integrated with no luck- the new version is 16k list. Ouch.

Art Audio- the former distributor issues scare me a way. Resale seems to have been affected as well.

I'd really like a stereo 845 amp---but there just aren't many out there. Sophia Electric 845 monos currently are at the top of my list and I'm pretty sure will order by the end of the week.

Keith

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Keith - sounds like you've really done your homework...always good! I have heard excellent things about older CJ stock being completely overhauled by CJ with their new Teflon capacitors...i have heard from an owner the Premier 8's overhauled are quite close to the LP275monos (the monos which preceded the ARTs). perhaps you could do same with Premier 12s...or with CJMV60. You might also try Wavac 805s in second-hand market. i thought Audiogon had a pair...they used to.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have researched/looked at a lot of these options (and owned a few)

Shindo is similar and a bit better than Leben---and I have had a Montille and Haut Brion in my room. Like the tone, but not enough dynamics. Was really thinking about the Cortese, which is better than either the other two, and ironically---has more bass. But 11k for a stereo 28lb amp is just hard to swallow.

CJ- doesn't seem like anything in the line between entry level and ART. Must be something at CES coming out. I think the special amps are probably only the ARTs which are out of my range.

Lamm- Just out of my budget. Even for a used pair of ML2.1s.

Dehavilland- have had in room for a demo. sound was good, but don't like the styling of the amps. Kara needs to put the Fisher KT88s finish on her other amps.

Mastersound- have owned the EL34 version which was quite good for the money. Zu says the Compact 845 is not enough resolution and bass for my speakers---which I find hard to believe. I tried to find a Ref 845 integrated with no luck- the new version is 16k list. Ouch.

Art Audio- the former distributor issues scare me a way. Resale seems to have been affected as well.

I'd really like a stereo 845 amp---but there just aren't many out there. Sophia Electric 845 monos currently are at the top of my list and I'm pretty sure will order by the end of the week.

Keith

What about the LP66S and LP125M amps?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing