Stereo tube amp recommendations

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
So 4 months later and with some bad luck, i am looking for amps again. I have ordered a First Watt Sit 2 from Reno Hifi this week. This seems like the coolest new ss tech
I have seen in awhile. Nelson Pass at his finest.

Looking for a tubed option as well...perhaps the new Shindo Cortese. 20 watts is the most I need as a reminder.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Keith,

I really like the Shindo stuff a lot. I have taken the trouble to have a Shindo driven down to my place (which i rarely do unless i am 'on the verge' of buying or it is 1 of 2)...there is serious magic in a Shindo. Playing Clapton in my room, you go quiet...really quiet, and 'spellbound' would not be an unfair characterization of the people in the room at the time. ON large-scale orchestral, the midrange magic was perhaps not quite where i wished for it...and where i was (as you might have suggested) looking for something more dynamic, more 'bracing'. Still...there is a LOT of magic in Shindo and at 119db signal to noise, it is incredibly quiet which brings up loads of detail that often lies below the floor of lesser amps.

Good luck and pls keep us posted.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Also Shindo seems to be really popular with those that have the really sensitive Tannoys, one of my regrets is never seriously auditioning one of the good model Tannoys (sadly I was put off by the old world looking models) with Shindo or another great tube amp.

Cheers
Orb

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Hi Keith,

I really like the Shindo stuff a lot. I have taken the trouble to have a Shindo driven down to my place (which i rarely do unless i am 'on the verge' of buying or it is 1 of 2)...there is serious magic in a Shindo. Playing Clapton in my room, you go quiet...really quiet, and 'spellbound' would not be an unfair characterization of the people in the room at the time. ON large-scale orchestral, the midrange magic was perhaps not quite where i wished for it...and where i was (as you might have suggested) looking for something more dynamic, more 'bracing'. Still...there is a LOT of magic in Shindo and at 119db signal to noise, it is incredibly quiet which brings up loads of detail that often lies below the floor of lesser amps.

Good luck and pls keep us posted.

Thanks for the feedback. With the array of gear you've heard, I appreciate this a lot. The Cortese apparently sounds bigger/dynamic than the other stereo amps---but probably the monos get you all the way there (and are pricy in the USA).

btw, I've heard the new First Watt SIT can outduel a Dartzeel, so this could be something special on the SS side of the equation.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Hi Keith,

ever heard of Thöress Amps?

Handbuilt in Germany. Distributed by Jeff Catalano of Highwater Sound.
http://www.thoeress.com/en/

Possibly you can get one for audition.

Regards

Andreas

I saw a used Thoress and they certainly look very interesting. I'd like to see more US reviews/feedback before going in that direction however. Very sweet looking design btw!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I would add Viva and Trafomatic - your Zu´s have the sensitivity to be driven by any of these, also support CJ, Leben and Wavelenght.

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
According to Jeff Day's website, Leben has just introduced the CS-1000P based KT-120 output tubes.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Well, the FirstWatt was very, very SET-like---just with no tube decay. Kind of an SET with leading edge if that makes sense. I can see why Srajen Ebaen is fond of it so much.

Currently, a friend has let me borrow a pair of 845 Audion monoblocks. So far, mids and highs have been very nice---though bass seems not as good as I might like. Not sure these amps are for me.

I'm going to take a step back from audio and re-evaluate my priorities. There are just so many trade-offs and I think I have a bit of analysis paralysis currently.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
You are in the price range of Wavac MD 300b or a used set of Wavac MD 805. Lit up internally with a bit of golden color, but tight, clear and not soggy. 805's would be the more neutral of the two, and power to boot.

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
How did the story go on?
Orb, which Tannoy speakers can you recommend as high efficiency speaker for tube amps with less power?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
How did the story go on?
Orb, which Tannoy speakers can you recommend as high efficiency speaker for tube amps with less power?

Having heard tannoy Canterbury, kingdom royale in proper set ups, I would recommend from the UK, a guy who mods tannoys... Using older tannoy HPd drivers from the 70s that were also used in the Phillips control room... And puts them in new very well done Canterbury like cabinets... With external box for cross overs.

You can drive these with tube amps, but not SETs.

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Bonzo, can you please tell me the name of the guy resp. company? How many watts are recommended? 40? 80?
I am looking for a solution to complete my Shindo system (just cartridge to preamp until now) with matching amp and speaker, that delivers a little more dynamic and resolution, not just a soft nice sound.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bonzo, can you please tell me the name of the guy resp. company? How many watts are recommended? 40? 80?
I am looking for a solution to complete my Shindo system (just cartridge to preamp until now) with matching amp and speaker, that delivers a little more dynamic and resolution, not just a soft nice sound.

I knew another guy who ran some tannoys with all top Shindo gear. The Shindo weren't good enough to drive them, even the Ear push pull sounded better. I can PM you his contact details later, he and customer of his both drive it with Radford push pulls. Sounds great

Bobbi

Mar 5, 2016
Aries Cerat Genus power amp. 25 watts
Its a little over $10k but knowing the quality of Aries Cerat it would be money well spent.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Aries Cerat Genus power amp. 25 watts
Its a little over $10k but knowing the quality of Aries Cerat it would be money well spent.

Just for clarity, the price in Europe is about 13K euro (integrated is 15K euro)...don't know the US price...

I have one at home now as my main amp...phenomenal clarity and the tonality is spot on...truly a chip off the block of the bigger brothers.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
How did the story go on?

nice oldie - my entire system has changed since

I have an ARC Ref 75SE on Devore Gibbon X speakers (that much prefer tubes). Same amp would mate well with Tannoys imo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing