Just a "po boy" tryin to have some fun!

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Hello all, I'm brand new to the 'tape thing' but of course, I've jumped in with wild abandon.
I put 'po boy' in the heading because I'm a shoestring budget, DIY type of audiophile (hate that word)!
I started down this road a while back, after hearing the buzz about vinyl, and getting a big stack of my fathers records, I went from Solid State reciever, to big pentode tubes, to flea power, horns, and vinyl..
After reading about the 'Mighty Lenco' I got into DIY, building a Slate Lenco, and some Back Loaded Horns... and that was it, My CD collection began gathering dust. ffwd to 3 months ago, I had been reading about Doc B's Tape Project, and the accompanying buzz, and I knew it was just a matter of time..
I now have 8 decks in varying state of function.
The first deck I got was a Tandberg 74b, it was misrepresented as working flawlessly, and overpriced, but I'm a sucker for tubes, soooo... it's 'on the shelf' for now. Next came an Akai 4000ds mkII. The little consumer grade 7.5 ips 4 track, I found it for $40, cleaned it up and threaded a copy of Beatles Revolver.... The first few seconds of playback told me I was onto something special!
The main deck in my system now is a Pioneer rt707, it's easy to thread, auto reverse, and sounds fantastic! Of course I HAD to give 'Reel-Lady' and 'crebasil' a bunch of my money and put together a library of sorts: Miles Davis, Brubeck, Zeppelin, Beatles, and of course, a pile of classical Barclay-Crocker tapes, etc...
BUT.... I knew without doubt there was more fun to be had, and I wasn't having it! We all know that feeling. I really need 15ips IEC/NAB capability.
And that is how I came to own 8 reel to reel decks.
The Ampex ag350 arrived last week, heavily damaged courtesy of FedEx.... this is the unit I'm hoping you fellows can help me out with. I haven't been able to find any info on the electronics accompanying the deck.. don't get excited, they aren't 350's, or even 351's! just some lowly SS thing, with a blank brushed steel front plate, and a plaque affixed, 1.5" x 6" reading 'Ampex"... I removed this plaque and viola! there is a bank of controls, where knobs could be fitted. There are pots for each control, adjustable by screwdriver, and the layout is: from L to R Power supply/on-off, Left EQ, Right EQ...
there are no VU's and no recording capabilities, leading me to believe it is a monitor/playback unit. Fine by me!
I will, of course post pics.
Next came, by sheer luck, a Studer-reVox PR99. It was advertised as not powering up-$50 takes it.
I was on it in a heartbeat, and yes, it powers up fine, the lights are simply burned out (silly wabbit)
So, the PR99 sits in its road case (nifty, dark grey, with a rack mounted reVox monitor)!
I've done the 15ips mod successfully, and am in the midst of modding the EQ boards, A' la Alain's method. Any further tips and tweaks would be appreciated.
This is an ex CBC machine, and was definitely used, it squeaks, chatters, and such, but most importantly it plays music! the 2 track, 15ips kind!
My friend John Chapman may bring some tapes by at some point for me to peruse (though I think it is a far better idea to bring the machine to John's and hear it through those beautiful OB's of his) wink wink, nudge nudge...
regardless, it sits, half baked, awaiting a good cleaning and calibrating.. I will build a cabinet or stand for it (I'm thinking oak or walnut, or black) refurbish and paint the front panels, head covers etc..as they are covered in splicing scrapes, paint, and scratches. And for the time being that will serve as my 15 ips 2 track machine.
Another 'po-boy' arrived damaged, courtesy of FedEx (thanks again FedEx) this one is a Crown A314,
I saw it on Ebay and snagged it for the princely sum of $63.
Couldn't find any info on the thing at all, after inspection, I see it is a 1/2 track, with inline heads...
hmmmm... am I going to turn into one of those guys with 5 purpose built tape machines?
Only after a divorce, I think! I'm already looking for 7.5ips 2 track titles on ebay.
This machine has no record capabilities, strange reel spools, and will need a good amount of work, so into the shop it goes for now! I'll do more research prior to bidding next time!
So, as it stands I'm still not quite happy. I need a machine, eventually, that can play 7.5ips 4track NAB, and 15ips 2 track IEC. And of course, I NEED a standalone, tube tape preamp... is that asking too much?
I'm going to have my friend David begin building me a few rack mountable Tape EQ's, so I'm desperately seeking schematics for something fairly simple... I'm thinking an Ampex 351 Clone, or something along the lines of a spartan, simplified KC type unit.?
I'm wanting to cobble together some fun machines with tube electronics. A four track, a two track, and maybe one of the little akais! I'm thinking something like a PO' Boy's JCorder?
I'll post some pics of my machines, and previous DIY stuff and kits.. I know its been a long, rambling post, but hey, I'm new here! Look forward to hearing from you guys, and I always enjoy reading about your amazing machines and systems. Ki, I saw your post re: the PR99... with the huge pile of Solens in it... whatever became of that unit? I'm looking to do something similar with mine, plus upgrade the fascia, replace bulbs etc... any info would be appreciated!
cheers!
Harv

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi Harv,

Pick out the deck you like most and fit's your system and concentrate on that one. These things can get out of hand real easy,but it sounds like you have a handle on things. After you get your decks running you can see which one you like most. The Ampex AG350 is a good sounding deck and you might join the Ampex List as there are many people that can help you. Welcome to WBF!

Roger

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Yipes... I'm just sitting enjoying some Steely Dan on my turntable... I'm hearing things I never noticed before! Like sibilance, and high frequency distortion, and background noise....
RUINED, I say!

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Roger, you may be able to help me figure out what it is I have exactly, electronics wise, with my Ampex.
If I may post a pic? Or should i take it on over to the Ampex list?
cheers!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Roger, you may be able to help me figure out what it is I have exactly, electronics wise, with my Ampex.
If I may post a pic? Or should i take it on over to the Ampex list?
cheers!

You can post a pic if you like.

"The Ampex ag350 arrived last week, heavily damaged courtesy of FedEx.... this is the unit I'm hoping you fellows can help me out with. I haven't been able to find any info on the electronics accompanying the deck.. don't get excited, they aren't 350's, or even 351's! just some lowly SS thing, with a blank brushed steel front plate, and a plaque affixed, 1.5" x 6" reading 'Ampex"... I removed this plaque and viola! there is a bank of controls, where knobs could be fitted. There are pots for each control, adjustable by screwdriver, and the layout is: from L to R Power supply/on-off, Left EQ, Right EQ...
there are no VU's and no recording capabilities, leading me to believe it is a monitor/playback unit. Fine by me!"

Harv, the no VU meters has me stumped,but the AG350,AG500,and MR70 have a removable face plate that hides the EQ adjustments.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi Harv
welcome a new diyer into R2R ( not too many in there), I think we are in the same direction, analog, tube and horn. also you said you read the post of PR99 with a lot of Solens in there. is it my post ? if you want to modify your PR99 you can try too with a lot of fun, first find out the circuit drawing from web, look for the EQ resistors, add a selector switch and two more different value resistors for CCIR, and if you just want it for play back only that you can save up the space for a sound better coupling caps and bypass all selectors, switches and volume controls to make it directly out, then you will find what difference is !
cheers
tony ma

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Thanks Tony!
I'm lucky to have the red binder, service manual to look at the schematic, etc!
Yes, I would like to go direct output, so far I've pulled the record and osscilator boards, and tapped the monitor output, for direct RCA output on the back panel.
I've put blackgates on the repro board, and modded it for 15ips ccir. 7.5ips nab.
Ultimately, I want tube output. Dedicated tube eq.
I can dream, I suppose!
The deck I'm excited about is the Crown A314!
It's an old, old baby, with inline heads!
I'm looking for some old 7.5ips 2 track tapes, but they seem to be going up to $100+ on eBay!!!!
I'll restore that one and build a cabinet for it just for kicks I guess...
I'm digging back into the '99 tomorrow, time to change all of the bulbs, clean and degrease, and put my 'new' repro board in. Then it's just a matter of getting my hands on some 15ips 2 tracks!!

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Harv
You are a very active diyer, modifications of R2R are usually with bigger return than others' modifications because they are in the front end, more you did can be more high end you will looking for, from the unit which you play with now will change to look for pro unit like Studer Ampex etc. but the main problem always in heads, the cost of service or replacement will be too much, so there is two ways to go, one is just like yours play with the machine from Ebay to make it sound again ( their heads won't last too long), or just a pro machine for higher sound quality !
tony ma

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Well, I haven't even tested the Ampex ag350 in the garage.. I'm afraid to try, as the FedEx goons really did a number on it!
The spindles are quite badly bent, I've carefully bent them back into true, but those motors look like business!!
I've been thinking the big Ampex may end up being my 'main' deck..
First things first, I'm gonna get that '99 dialed!
I bet the guys over on the Lenco forum are wondering what happened to me! I see myself getting a nagra or Stella next... (yiiipes)!
Cheers

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Ok, I tested the power supply/EQ, replaced a bulb, powered it up, and viola! All good! However.. (I dread that word) the transport, sprung into action for exactly one split second, and now... nothing.
Sent FedEx their claim form, and shipping invoice, etc. I'm waiting to hear back from them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing