Is there something we can do with "What's spinning tonight" thread?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Happy to oblige, Bob. Here's a quick knock up of how it would come out -- this is in Open Office -- with some real material that's been extracted already. Only trouble, there's this strange character who calls himself, Lord of ..., I don't quite recall who he is ...:b

View attachment 3154

Frank

Wow, quite elaborate Frank. You would take the time to do this?

* Suggestion #1: Can you make it the width of the screen (no biggie though; it's my screen).
* #2: Don't pay attention to LordoftheRingsEE member; he's a nobody. ;)
* #3: Nothing, yet; it'll come as we go.

Well Frank, if other members are truly please with this, I'm all in,
and sincerely appreciate your regain of energy. ...Works both ways too. :b

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Wow, quite elaborate Frank. You would take the time to do this?

* Suggestion #1: Can you make it the width of the screen (no biggie though; it's my screen).
* #2: Don't pay attention to LordoftheRingsEE member; he's a nobody. ;)
* #3: Nothing, yet; it'll come as we go.

Well Frank, if other members are truly please with this, I'm all in,
and sincerely appreciate your regain of energy. ...Works both ways too. :b
Thanks, Bob. As regards the format, in other words the look and precise sizing of everything, this is a spreadsheet document which means that basically everything is under your, the user's, control. The fonts, colouring, highlighting, sorting capabilities are entirely up to you, provided you have the software to play with it. And every PC these days has at least one program that can do that: you are the driver!! :b

Frank

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
The format (CD, LP, R2R, etc.) would be a great benefit. Otherwise, folks will look for a non-existent recording in their format of choice.

The list could even be separated by format, so that all CDs fall in one list, etc.

Lee

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Since some albums come in more than one format it may be worthwhile doing it as follows. Ignore the actual settings, I just pulled them out of the air:

Sample2.jpg

Again, because it is a spreadsheet you will be able to sort on any column. Thus, sorting on the CD column will reorganise all the entries, put all those albums marked with a (Y)es together, in one group; likewise for R2R, Artist, etc, etc

Please criticise if not happy in any way ...

Frank

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
As long as one can search for their preferred format(s), that's what I had in mind. Many of us aren't interested in one format or the other, so that would make the list much more efficient.

Lee

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
The main thing is to have a master copy of the database somewhere, the spreadsheet document which is updated by whatever process -- by the members directly or sending the info to someone who does it. Once you have a copy of that at any point it becomes a simple matter to discard the bits you're not interested in.

Frank

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Post #44 looks awesome Frank!
That would be a very nice and unique feature totally particular to WBF. :b

Seriously, I am impressed, and proud of you.

P.S. Who's Glass Hammer??

P.P.S. And I hope other members will also give you encouragements.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Thanks, Bob. But, unfortunately, the above is the easy bit: much more wearisome is the extracting, mining of the information from the forum website documents. Because everyone has done it slightly differently it's a non-trivial exercise, you end up doing a lot of manual fiddling, and I burnt out on that.

Anyway, it's going to be sort of OK, hope to get out a a first draft of something real, pretty quickly now ...

Glass Hammer? You jazzing me, if not, as stated above look up http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...Spinning-Tonight&p=42165&viewfull=1#post42165 ...

Frank

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Which shows why it is difficult to create a database by using computer "intelligence": a lot of the time guesses have to be made about what is significant, and what is not. A lot of those guesses will be way off the mark, so then human perception, us poor slobs, have to get involved to really sift the good information from the so-so. Plus, in turn, people then get tired doing this type of filtering thing: it typically takes a great deal of energy and time to get a collection of information 100% "clean".

In fact, Glass Hammer, a progressive rock group, looks rather interesting: there's a Wikipedia entry. From it, "Musically, their most apparent influences are Yes, Kansas, Emerson, Lake & Palmer and, to a less noticeable extent, Genesis." Might be worth checking out ...

Frank

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Which shows why it is difficult to create a database by using computer "intelligence": a lot of the time guesses have to be made about what is significant, and what is not. A lot of those guesses will be way off the mark, so then human perception, us poor slobs, have to get involved to really sift the good information from the so-so. Plus, in turn, people then get tired doing this type of filtering thing: it typically takes a great deal of energy and time to get a collection of information 100% "clean".

Tell me about it!

In fact, Glass Hammer, a progressive rock group, looks rather interesting: there's a Wikipedia entry. From it, "Musically, their most apparent influences are Yes, Kansas, Emerson, Lake & Palmer and, to a less noticeable extent, Genesis." Might be worth checking out ...

Frank

Yeah, now I remember.

Frank mate, you can only do your best, so don't sweat it. :b
We're all here to help you out too.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
To flesh this out a bit more, and especially since it was flez007 who raised his hand first, this is a substantial collections of his posts as they would appear in the spreadsheet. Reasonably tidy, because I fixed a couple more things, but still a bit to do. There is quite a bit of material that's just fiddly to sort out, depending on how things go I might just dump it in holus bolus, and let others sort it out ...

Sample3.jpg

Frank

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The digital objectivists need thier own thread called "What's Byting".

Better, I think, to just call it "Byte This." is there anything other than odd audiophile releases available in vinyl that's not available digitally somewhere?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Better, I think, to just call it "Byte This." is there anything other than odd audiophile releases available in vinyl that's not available digitally somewhere?

I think I must have misread something here? There are hundreds if not thousands of albums not available digitally in official releases, and many (probably most) aren't even generally available through unofficial channels (torrented rips of someone's vinyl).

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
To flesh this out a bit more, and especially since it was flez007 who raised his hand first, this is a substantial collections of his posts as they would appear in the spreadsheet. Reasonably tidy, because I fixed a couple more things, but still a bit to do. There is quite a bit of material that's just fiddly to sort out, depending on how things go I might just dump it in holus bolus, and let others sort it out ...

View attachment 3156

Frank

I impose myself an action item and complete the suggested spreadsheet to fill the empty blanks of my posts (Myles, you are in trouble :) )
Once we get the blanks filled-out, it would be easier to run a data cleansing program to eliminate duplicates, arrive to a final version, dump it to a "serious" RDBMS and name someone to maintain it.
Did I get the course of action clear based on ALL´s responses? any other doable option?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Sorry, flez007, I don't quite follow what you're saying here, could you possibly rephrase it?

Thanks,
Frank

Sorry, I was intending to place an specific action item, and that is to fill the empty cells on your spreadsheet (for my entries) and complete the information. If others think this is time-worthy, each one could take his/her entries and do the same.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Sorry, I was intending to place an specific action item, and that is to fill the empty cells on your spreadsheet (for my entries) and complete the information. If others think this is time-worthy, each one could take his/her entries and do the same.

What would be using to allow of us this? OpenOffice? I'd contribute for sure.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
What would be using to allow of us this? OpenOffice? I'd contribute for sure.
I'm using OpenOffice to do this, but it can output in a huge variety of formats: so if you only have Excel, say, that's not a problem. There's what's called a CSV format, which is pure text, so you can fill in the blanks just using Notepad if you want, if you're careful. I don't see a problem for anyone not being able to contribute, so long as you have some PC skills! :b

Frank

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing