Is there something we can do with "What's spinning tonight" thread?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I suppose it is entirely possible to datamine the posts from this wonderful thread in which I haven't post for a while and which cost me quite a bit of money last year buying those wonderful CDs that you people :mad: recommend .. :) .

Say
CD Title
Composer
Main Artist
Picture
Source

From that we could make a form and people would post within the form .. Mining would be easier ... Such form likely already exist in the software presently used ...

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
I wonder if that database is sitting next to his plans for a 2.4 Kw amp ;)
Well, it does help if people around here are a little bit nicer at times: the word is motivation, some people in the medical profession have a keen understanding of the importance of positive feedback ...

The short answer is that I did progress to very close to a final assembly of the relevant information in the thread up to that point in time: like most things it got caught in the 80/20, 90/10, whatever rule -- the last things to be sorted out took more and more time, becoming ever more tedious, and my old nemesis raised its ugly head: emotional stamina. My energy to complete the thing collapsed, and since there appeared to be zero ongoing interest I gave it up as a lost cause. Unlike my quest for good sound ... :b

The work done to date is still there, and if I get some really, really nice, encouraging input I might be tempted to go the last yards ...;);)

Frank

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Pretty please with sugar on top

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Well, it does help if people around here are a little bit nicer at times: the word is motivation, some people in the medical profession have a keen understanding of the importance of positive feedback ...

The short answer is that I did progress to very close to a final assembly of the relevant information in the thread up to that point in time: like most things it got caught in the 80/20, 90/10, whatever rule -- the last things to be sorted out took more and more time, becoming ever more tedious, and my old nemesis raised its ugly head: emotional stamina. My energy to complete the thing collapsed, and since there appeared to be zero ongoing interest I gave it up as a lost cause. Unlike my quest for good sound ... :b

The work done to date is still there, and if I get some really, really nice, encouraging input I might be tempted to go the last yards ...;);)

Frank

You know what Frank? I'm going to agree with you! I think a lot of members have been taking potshots at you for long enough. Maybe they have reason to some degree, as you don't seem to offer up any proof of your claims, which is all they are asking. A little compassion goes a long away....

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
You know what Frank? I'm going to agree with you! I think a lot of members have been taking potshots at you for long enough. Maybe they have reason to some degree, as you don't seem to offer up any proof of your claims, which is all they are asking. A little compassion goes a long away....
Thanks for that, John, I appreciate that! My energy reserves are very low, I can lose the drive to move forward very easily, so I need to feel that it's worthwhile persisting with something by having energy, from people, coming in from outside.

As far as "proof" goes, as they say, the proof's in the eating, or hearing: I'm not in a position to serve up a total, instant solution on a platter without someone on the other side of the equation making some effort as well -- it doesn't work like that. I have offered to have someone phone me and listen to what the system's doing that way, it's easy enough to pick what it's doing right. But no-one took me up on that ...

Frank

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Frank. Positive contributions to the forum [just like this] always reflect well upon you and also on the forum itself.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
From some great friends I learned to post a picture cover of an album or a CD,
and by clicking on that picture cover you have all the info, plus free music samples.

* I do this now with all my music and video selections.
And this is my way to contribute just a little more.

==> It's easy:
1. You write down the website address within the URL brackets.
2. And inside the URL brackets you write down the IMG.

I am a member at many many audio forums (several in French),
and so far this is the best method I learned from these two good friends.

But I only know three people who are doing it.
They are truly into sharing their musical experience one step farther than the rest.

I encourage all WBF members here to do similar, because I know for a fact that it is the way I personally appreciate the musical discoveries suggested by my two great friends.

If you wanna know how I do it, just quote one of my posts in the ditto threads (Music, Movies), and you'll see.
The way I do it takes time, but that's the way I am (and I always type with only one finger).
But there are faster ways to do it; I just don't know it yet.

Anyway, I thought that I would throw that in here.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Frank

I usually don't read your posts, you are on my ignore list and I get o your post because of people quoting you in their replies. I did however read your last ones. The idea is that you volunteered to do something about the very interesting and fun thread. You offered your competence, time and effort and should be lauded for that but also be taken to your words and your promise... Months passed without any status or progress report .. People forgot until Flez revived this very thread ... You are now asking for encouragement.. You gave your word implicitly and now you are asking for encouragement . if you do have something we will all be grateful. if you don't so be it ... but it should be said that it would have been nice to present some kind of status report before Flez inquiry. And that such late and forced status report tends to reinforce the opinion many have of you...

I am one of those who have taken shots at you and taken you to task. You do promise and post things rarely substantiated and I do hope this doesn't fall within the same category ..i-e things that you cannot or don't want to substantiate.. The list is rather long but I will cite two that would take a large glass of water to swallow:
The modification on a HTiB (Home Theater i a Box) so that it rival most high end systems. IIRC you are using the original but modified HtiB speakers and drivers.
The 2.4 KW amplifier ...

Need I say more and add this current project to the list?

We are all waiting and will be grateful. It is a needed project and one which will help us getting more enjoyment from our systems. We thank you in advance Frank and are waiting to hear from you very soon or at least an approximate time of completion ...
Thanks again, in advance

P.S. If the moderators think this is an ad hominem by all mean do let me know. I , however, do believe this to be appropriate

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have a suggestion. We get a group of people interested in helping and we assign them a range of pages to index after agreeing to the format. The thread has 117 pages! :eek: but if we had say, 10 people, it wouldn't take that long to get it done.

I researched a semi-automated way to do it and unfortunately that feature is long removed.

Can we get the first volunteer to create the template/headings and fill one example album in there to make sure it is what we want?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
....My only request is to not use a proprietary format like Excel. Please use ODF (Open Document Format) instead. LibreOffice is a good example of something produces ODF; it's cross platform and FREE.
Hello, Amir. That sounds like a good idea. Has it been decided which format will be used yet?

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Frantz, thank you for that reply. Your points, from your point of view are very valid, and deserve a proper response.

Two initial points: energy, and cheap shots. I have indicated many times that my abilities to sustain focus have suffered badly over the years, and this is not getting better. To put it bluntly, I currently receive a pension, welfare from the government because of my status: my actual ability to be creative, develop ideas has not diminished, just my capacity to maintain interest in the exercise I'm engaged in, whatever it is. Now, if you add to that a propensity for people around you at the time to be smart-alecky simply because they don't understand, or haven't experienced something you have, that's a deadly combination. Think weeding in the garden with a sore back, and the local mosquitoes decide to give you a hard time as well -- get the picture?

As regards the projects:

The HT system was done to investigate, and prove a point, quite satisfactorily so. I have offered up at least one way of "proving", which has been ignored. How much do people need to be spoonfed?

The 2.4kW project is still there, ready to go again when I have the time, energy, motivation and resources. I have plenty of ideas and ability to sort things out, a lot less of the other stuff ...

The amp was put on hold because I became interested in "undoing" the mangling applied to modern recordings, particularly because Tim indicated it would be something of real value. That's the current focus, being worked on at the moment. There are many angles to it, a lot of "head" work has to be done: nothing truly worthwhile with this one will just fall out of the sky with a snapping of the fingers ...

Thanks for your words of encouragement, much appreciated -- little bits of that go a long way ...

Give me a couple of days, I'll be able to put up a first draft, so that people get the idea, etc ...

Cheers,
Frank

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Everyone, since Frank originally volunteered for this project and is now willing to submit a proposed format, I believe it would be fair to allow him to present his idea before we take any alternative actions.

Lee

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
The format is still per an earlier post, http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...ght-quot-thread&p=76816&viewfull=1#post76816:

The images column merely is a tick, to say that the post had images, not an image in itself. Good point about the Label and Catalogue no., thanks!

So now have:

| Member | Artist | Title | Genre | Label | Catalogue No. | Link to Thread Post | Any images? Y/- | Date of Posting?? |

Frank
If anyone wants to throw a bit more in on reflection, please do so ...

Frank

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Happy to oblige, Bob. Here's a quick knock up of how it would come out -- this is in Open Office -- with some real material that's been extracted already. Only trouble, there's this strange character who calls himself, Lord of ..., I don't quite recall who he is ...:b

Sample.jpg

Frank

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing