Is there something we can do with "What's spinning tonight" thread?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Myles started this thread and there are tons of valuable information in it, the more I receive a CD/LP title recommendation increases my interest to know more, that is at least for me, the ultimate goal of this hobby - to enjoy the music.

I was thinking of some sort of data cleansing program that could turn all titles an artists into an Excel file and start from there, any ideas?

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I think it is a very good idea

Lee started a similar thread regarding where to get HeRez files and with each new recommendation he added it to the very first post which therefore had all of the information. The big question then is how to get all of the info in this thread to first poat

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Same here.

BTW...vBulletin will allow you to make a data listing of up to 300 entries. See here

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Nice idea!

My only request is to not use a proprietary format like Excel. Please use ODF (Open Document Format) instead. LibreOffice is a good example of something produces ODF; it's cross platform and FREE.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I would be happy to try doing something like that, if people are interested ..

Frank

If you could do that for us Frankie, you'd be my new hero. :)

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The digital objectivists need thier own thread called "What's Byting".

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I'm pleased to see the interest! My first thoughts are to have these columns:

| Member | Artist | Title | Link to Thread Post | Any images? Y/- | Date of Posting?? |

How does this sound? Any comments or feedback appreciated ...

Frank

Genre?

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Thanks, flez007. Main thing is that is that it would be difficult trying to work that out from most posts. But it would be good to have such a column there for people to fill in, by perhaps the original poster. So have now:

| Member | Artist | Title | Genre | Link to Thread Post | Any images? Y/- | Date of Posting?? |

Would it be worthwhile to have another column for composer, quite a few postings are of classical material, or leave that part of the title?

Of course, all this things can be fairly easily fiddled with, after the "mining" operation: main thing is to pull out everything that may be of value.

I might leave this for another day, time for more input: if nothing more comes through from anyone, I'll get cracking on the exercise, sound reasonable?

Frank

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I would forego the Images....a full description of the important details is what counts.

You may want to add LABEL and CATALOGUE # though.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
The images column merely is a tick, to say that the post had images, not an image in itself. Good point about the Label and Catalogue no., thanks!

So now have:

| Member | Artist | Title | Genre | Label | Catalogue No. | Link to Thread Post | Any images? Y/- | Date of Posting?? |

Frank

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Definitely interested, providing 'user friendly' for e-dummies like me. Happy to contribute (again if EZ to use). ;)

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
The more the merrier, thanks Lloyd ...

Main thing, "data mining" as it's sometimes called can only do so much, there will be mistakes and funnies in the results, so a bit of proof reading and checking will be required after the fact, there's where others can help in the process.

Frank

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
The more the merrier, thanks Lloyd ...

Main thing, "data mining" as it's sometimes called can only do so much, there will be mistakes and funnies in the results, so a bit of proof reading and checking will be required after the fact, there's where others can help in the process.

Frank

Count me in!

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
are we assuming this is a best of or super disc list?? im just listing what im playing, my personal 'super disc' list would be somewhat different.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Not really puroagave, it is more a way to have information of artists/tracks that some of us have been "spinning" in the past months. In my case I have eventually (and almost by accident) had the opportunity to learn of new albums that otherwise would never had the opportunity to discover.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing