New Concert Fidelity CF-080 LSX2-V2

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Martin only has the Pre at the moment, will have to read his review when it's published..

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
I believe he does.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
MC's review is now available in Critic, Vol 7 No 1, very good review, thorough technical and sonic analysis, and a high rating as expected..

http://www.hificritic.com/subscribe/order.aspx

Taksil, DAC 040 is already wonderful, but if you want to take it further there is an upgrade available at CF in Japan, the DAC chip being powered by NiMH battery, and it makes this DAC even better, clarity and dynamics took a step forward!..

(Disclaimer, I am involved with CF due to the sonic quality alone.)

bebop86

Apr 1, 2013
I am interested in this preamp BUT since I am running ATC 100 active speakers with only xlr -Would using an xlr to rca converter hurt the sound?? also what dacs are you fine folks running with this pre- as I was thinking of possibly getting the dac-040 although it does not do hi rez correct??How much of an upgrade over my Ayon cd-5 which of course is a combo pre/dac/player would I get??thanks

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
bebop86,

Martin Colloms used Transparent RCA-XLR interconnects for his review, feeding the Momentum Stereo power amp. I wouldn't imagine a convertor would outweigh the benefits of the 080LSX2, it is a very fine piece..

You are also correct in that DAC040 does not do Hi Res, it is very pure 16bit. However, with CF's current update to this dac involving the battery drive to the chip itself, it is capable of extreme resolution from redbook cd format. I have not heard better, which is why I gradually became involved with CF, there was no UK representation prior to this. Comparison with your Ayon is hard for me to asses, but in comparison to my MBL 1531 (integrated, and already quite good) the CF is in another league. The Ayon should by all accounts provide a very good signal to the DAC, via it's SP/DIF output.

Keep us posted with your experiences!

ATB,
Paul.

bebop86

Apr 1, 2013
thanks Paul- Do you know how much the upgrade is and do I need to send it back to Japan?? thanks

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Bebop, - As of yet the upgrade price is not announced, but yes, the unit requires factory modification in Japan.. I'll update as soon as I hear official upgrade costs..

bebop86

Apr 1, 2013
Paul thanks for the input- are there different versions/updates to the dac- there is a local used one on agon now just do not know enough about these units to ask the right questions- thanks

Last edited:

bebop86

Apr 1, 2013
Paul- I just bought the lx2!!!! should be here next week- I am thinking of the 040 dac- can not here it locally- so need your advice- Since 90 % of my music is redbook are you sure I am not going to miss the 192 bit in the music-- I do prefer a more analog sound - I was thinking of just getting a simple dsd dac like the chord or mytek to have if I want to try the dsd downloads to my server- also what cables do you recommend for this unit- thanks so much for the advice!!

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Congrats Bebop!! I'm certain you will be impressed as we all have by it's ability to simply disappear, and running it into your active ATC's could be very promising! Can you remind us what your current pre is? Have you ordered a new LSX2 or have you managed to find a used unit by chance? Also, remember you can try different 12AU7's to give the final balance that you require..
My honest advice, now that you have the pre coming, would be to order a new DAC040BD. It is simply in another league to any other dac I have spent time with, irrespective of bit rate. I have been running my 040BD for two weeks now, and the old saying hearing my cd's again is pretty apt. In standard from, DAC0040 is as good as many of the best dacs I've heard, but with the new DC power supply to the chip itself, it has taken a huge step up, more than we all thought possible. Concert Fidelity have really hit on something special with this, and it will become the standard DAC that they supply from now onwards. The other advantage of a new unit would be that the 'Operation/Standby' switch is now on the left side panel towards the front.
Cables, anything neutral! I use our own 'Infinity' of course, but it would be worth getting your xlr's re-terminated to RCA at the pre end for best results..

Keep us posted on your progress..

ATB,
Paul.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I am interested in this preamp BUT since I am running ATC 100 active speakers with only xlr -Would using an xlr to rca converter hurt the sound?? also what dacs are you fine folks running with this pre- as I was thinking of possibly getting the dac-040 although it does not do hi rez correct??How much of an upgrade over my Ayon cd-5 which of course is a combo pre/dac/player would I get??thanks

When I had my balanced only Burmester 911 MK3, I used rca to xlr cables and put away the adapters.

bebop86

Apr 1, 2013
I just bought a used new version(1.5) dac 040 to match up with the lsxv2 preamp= they should be here next week= couple of questions for you gurus=-
1- what should i get for both units for tubes to start off with and what brand cables do you rec.- thanks so much for all your advice I am very excited to try these out- Just hope they do not have a problem matching up with the atc active speakers- I do not think so since my Ayon cd-5 works perfectly with them-

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
I just bought a used new version(1.5) dac 040 to match up with the lsxv2 preamp= they should be here next week= couple of questions for you gurus=-
1- what should i get for both units for tubes to start off with and what brand cables do you rec.- thanks so much for all your advice I am very excited to try these out- Just hope they do not have a problem matching up with the atc active speakers- I do not think so since my Ayon cd-5 works perfectly with them-

@bebop86 You are in for a real treat with both the units.
Introduce one unit only in the system at a time and then a day or two later the other. I would try the pre first and then the DAC. This way you will enjoy and know the capability of each unit.
I suggest what you think are the most neutral cables to your ears would be the way to go. As you have the 12AU7's that give you different flavours to play around with you want least signature from the cables.

In light of tubes the Phillips (Amperex) ECC186 (which are 12AU7's) are what I use and I find them most suitable to my ears. And the rectifiers are Mullard's.

Best,
Nev

Keep us updated.

Last edited:

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I just bought some Siemens E82CC Platinum Grade from Upscale Audio.

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
I just bought some Siemens E82CC Platinum Grade from Upscale Audio.

MJ - What were you using before and what are your findings on the Siemens as compared to the previous.

Thanks.

N

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
MJ - What were you using before and what are your findings on the Siemens as compared to the previous.

Thanks.

N

I have some PSVANE and a French brand at hand. I think I will try some Mullard rectifiers also. The Siemens look exactly like my French tubes and sound the same=very nice indeed.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
I found the Mullard 6Ca4 rectifier tube to be a great choice in this piece and the DA convertor. My output tube choice is currently NOS Mazda 6189, lovely sound indeed.. ECC802s also very special here, very clean, great for classical work..

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
@bebop86 You are in for a real treat with both the units.
Introduce one unit only in the system at a time and then a day or two later the other. I would try the pre first and then the DAC. This way you will enjoy and know the capability of each unit.
I suggest what you think are the most neutral cables to your ears would be the way to go. As you have the 12AU7's that give you different flavours to play around with you want least signature from the cables.

In light of tubes the Phillips (Amperex) ECC186 (which are 12AU7's) are what I use and I find them most suitable to my ears. And the rectifiers are Mullard's.

Best,
Nev

Keep us updated.

I agree, introduce one piece at a time..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing