New Concert Fidelity CF-080 LSX2-V2

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Jelt2359,

Welcome to WBF and this thread; fantastic to hear you are all set with your DHP-300b's, perhaps you could describe the rest of your system?

There is still plenty of love for the CF products, including the 080 LSX2 of course. We have also been using the all valve CLS 050 for the past 18 month's, again it is very transparent and pure like the LSX2, and also benefits from A) being able to drive long (up to 10m) single ended interconnects, and B) has XLR input and output's. Tube rolling is really interesting too, it is easy to discern the difference between various types and ages of tube, both in the output and rectifier positions..

Best Rgds,
Paul

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
Thanks Paul. How do you find the 080 vs 050? I can find almost nothing about the 050 online....

I'm currently using an Airtight ATC-2, Chord Dave, and an Taiko SGM Extreme.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
The 050 seems to have flown under the radar, you'll probably know that Concert Fidelity are not so outgoing with creating a big stir when a new product is announced, but the 050 sits just below the 080 Reference line in the Resolution series (along with your 300b's). It does share many of the sonic virtues of the top level 080 however, and is actually quite a close call when trying to choose between the two from a sound perspective. Both are extremely transparent and neutral; just as a good preamplifier should be..

You have a fine system there too, what loudspeakers are you using?

Reactions: jelt2359

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
I use only headphones- Hifiman Susvara- as I have limited space. It sounds like the 050 very much retains the neutral, slightly musical and romantic house sound? Any places where it comes ahead or behind the 080? Yours is literally the very first account I've heard of it- it doesn't even seem to be on demo anywhere!

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Mmm, I imagine that is a heavenly headphone set up; good choice of amp to drive the Susvara's!

Yes, the 050 is certainly a very refined sound, neutral in balance and very clean ultra low distortion as you would expect; The 050 wins on connectivity though for sure, having the XLR in and out allows some nice flexibility. Sonically is really close to the 080 LSX2, it has less gain in comparison (just 6db as opposed to 12db on the 080), so if your amps need a bit more drive the 080 is preferable; however in a system that is pretty sensitive then the 050 is sublime, especially with the Bendix 5992 (6V6GT Variant) output tubes :),. It was developed using the Maxonic field coil loudspeaker..! The volume control (high quality Elma) is not remote controllable on 050, unlike 080.

Best,
Paul

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
TBH the DHP-300 is just enough power for the Susvara. I tried a single-ended 300B with similar power to the DHS and it clipped.

Interesting, didn't know about the Maxonic field coil loudspeaker being used for the 050 development. Thanks again for the info- it certainly sounds like a good bargain, with a lot of improvements and an equal sound quality with really only two downsides- gain and remote control.

You should probably write a review about it (or find someone who is willing to!).

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
Btw- does the 080 struggle driving rca up to 10m? I see it being mentioned as a feature for the 050 but not the 080.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Btw- does the 080 struggle driving rca up to 10m? I see it being mentioned as a feature for the 050 but not the 080.
In general, single ended connection is fine maybe up to 3.5-4.5m, beyond that there will be some losses and potential for noise ingress into the cable, XLR (balanced) with it's inherent CMNR overcomes this hence pro systems use it exclusively. On the 050, Masa has worked with his supplier on a very special output transformer that can drive an SE cable at 10m without any loss, providing that the cable is of good enough design.. The 080 probably is limited to the earlier length. I have used 3m on the 080 and this was fine into a pair of his ZL200 mono's..

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
As an update to the above, we have recently installed a CF 080 LSX2 driving 13m SE interconnects with no major problem, and this install re confirms that this pre amplifier is in the very top tier of anything available today.. More to come soon!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Paul, is that what I heard at my recent visit to you?

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Both of your visit's Marc; it has been at the centre of my system for 9 years now. Quite a few pre's have come through here in that time, including Shindo, Vitus, Thoress, MFA, Einstein, ARC, now a Mayer 10Y all Silver which is certainly one of the better sounding unit's but still falls slightly short in comparison to the utterly transparent LSX2.

• Love
Reactions: zerostargeneral

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Paul, I've heard the Mayer silver 10Y twice now, and it's the epitome of transparency. Kudos if you think you have the measure of it w the CF.

Reactions: heihei

geetee1972

Feb 12, 2021
Thanks! Yes they are 240V units. I had a M5 spec Audio Note pre prior to the CF. I love the remote volume control function of this unit and how it responds to tube rolling if you need a bit more of this or less of that!

Hey Taksil just browsing this thread because I've just decided to also buy a CF080 SLX2 from Paul. You comment about an 'M5 spec' AN amp made me wonder - by any chance is that amp in an M2 box to facilitate an IR remote control? If so I have it here on demo from Emporium! Bit of a coincidence that I should have listened to it but then elected for the Concert Fidelity!

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
Previously I'd been using my Icon 4 Pro Silver passive and Robert Koda K10 to drive my DHP300, and have now added a LSX2 as well (I chanced on what's probably the only local unit being sold used where I live, so I took a chance).

My initial impressions are that the LSX2 is “soft” neutral- it's transparent, but not ruthless. It has that flatness of frequency response that I was looking for with this purchase (which my Koda K10 didn't give me, but that's not what it's known for), but with just that little bit of refinement (not colour). Its tone leans towards flatness as well but it never sounds clinical or cold so while it’s not musical or warm, it leans towards the latter side of neutral.

In technical ability, it matches the Koda K10 and is better than the Icon 4 Pro Silver. The Icon 4 Pro Silver is more neutral, though, and unusually for a passive pre, does not at all lack dynamics, so I actually use it between my DAC and my EAR V12 integrated amp.

Anyhow, glad to finally pair the Concert Monoblocks with a Concert Pre! I can clearly tell they're from the same family- neutral and refined, with a focus on natural (but high) levels of detail and incredible resolving ability.

Last edited:

Joe-siow

Jan 25, 2022
Was introduced to this amazing preamp by Jelt2359 and am now a proud new owner of one

b982abb9-404c-4ecb-9a76-7c9d2ca5c30c.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats! Have heard excellent things about CF.

grom64

Jan 19, 2016
For the first time, the stunning DAC-040 came out of CF. Then ZL-120, which are returned from the WAVAC MD-805MK-II system. When choosing a preamplifier, I checked Vitus, Solution, Boulder, VAC, AN, EAR in my system. But the most even, neutral without loss of dynamics, timbre richness, aftersound. The CF-080 turned out to be impeccably fused in terms of speed and phase. I'm in love with him!)))

Reactions: Taksil

Taksil

Feb 5, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Hey Taksil just browsing this thread because I've just decided to also buy a CF080 SLX2 from Paul. You comment about an 'M5 spec' AN amp made me wonder - by any chance is that amp in an M2 box to facilitate an IR remote control? If so I have it here on demo from Emporium! Bit of a coincidence that I should have listened to it but then elected for the Concert Fidelity!
Haven't been on here much so only seeing this now. No mine was an M3 upgraded and did not have RC which is a feature I very much enjoy on the Concert Fidelity.

Joyride

Mar 15, 2022
I have a mint LSX3 v3.5 for sale in the SF Bay area if anyone is interested! Have my ad up on USAM.
Btw, I was able to run 8M interconnect with no issues which I was pleasantly surprised with.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing