New Concert Fidelity CF-080 LSX2-V2

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Thank you you for your thoughts and additional information. I do see many owners settling down for the long run with this preamp. That is extremely comforting and says a lot about it.
I've had mine for 6 years, and have never thought of another pre.

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
I have had one from early 2009, and have along the way sold the initial one to get the upgraded LS-X2 version. With final revisions done recently this year.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
All,

A source of mine has located some NOS Mullard ECC 186, (7316), late 50's Herleen Factory (Dutch Amperex) made. I have a pair now in 080 LSX/2. By far the most staggeringly beautiful and transparent tube I have used in this position, my search is now over :) In all honesty, I'm overwhelmed at the open-ness and image density and body, this is exactly what this pre needs to show how good it really is. There are some pairs still available but when they are gone that's it, so I am going to take some more for future use and also in the CF DAC 040B/D as it shares the same output section. If anyone wants some, they are not cheap at £250 /pr (matched), pm me and I can organise it, and I recomend you all consider them. Bonzo75 will get to hear them soon in my system here, I'm sure he will add his thought's here on WBF.

Use in combination with 50's Mullard EZ81 Square getter, this is unbeatable..

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
All,

A source of mine has located some NOS Mullard ECC 186, (7316), late 50's British made. I have a pair now in 080 LSX/2. By far the most staggeringly beautiful and transparent tube I have used in this position, my search is now over :) In all honesty, I'm overwhelmed at the open-ness and image density and body, this is exactly what this pre needs to show how good it really is. There are some pairs still available but when they are gone that's it, so I am going to take some more for future use and also in the CF DAC 040B/D as it shares the same output section. If anyone wants some, they are not cheap at £250 /pr (matched), pm me and I can organise it, and I recomend you all consider them. Bonzo75 will get to hear them soon in my system here, I'm sure he will add his thought's here on WBF.

Use in combination with 50's Mullard EZ81 Square getter, this is unbeatable..

I absolutely am enthralled with the Mullard 6CA4/EZ81 from Brent Jessee on the Zanden PSU. Now using Mullards from Brent on the 7DJ8 in the CJ GAT 2 (and Amperex 7308 from Brent in the Zanden DAC itself.)

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Good to hear that you are loving the Mullard rectifier too LLoyd, it has the magic doesn't it? Is your the square getter (can be clearly seen up in the top of the tube)? I would expect so if Brent looked after you..

Also, your Amperex may well be similar to the Mullard in your Dac, truly wonderful..!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Good to hear that you are loving the Mullard rectifier too LLoyd, it has the magic doesn't it? Is your the square getter (can be clearly seen up in the top of the tube)? I would expect so if Brent looked after you..

Also, your Amperex may well be similar to the Mullard in your Dac, truly wonderful..!

I have no idea!...i put it in and have had absolutely no desire to do anything but listen to music since! ;) Yes, its from Brent and it was purely his recommendation so perhaps it is square getter.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Even though it says it is adjustable on CF website, does anyone know haw to adjust the preamp's gain ( selectable between 6 and 12 db)?

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Even though it says it is adjustable on CF website, does anyone know haw to adjust the preamp's gain ( selectable between 6 and 12 db)?

Hi Jim,

I beleive this is on unit's made after 2013/2014, approx. If so:

On the rear panel, below the RCA outputs, you will find 2 small toggle switches. Both pushed toward the centre reduces the gain, and to my ears sounds better :)

Last edited:

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Hi Jim,

I beleive this is on unit's made after 2013/2014, approx. If so:

On the rear panel, below the RCA outputs, you will find 2 small toggle switches. Both pushed toward the centre reduces the gain, and to my ears sounds better :)

Thanks, I guess mine was made before 2013/14. My problem is with my gain with using my analog system. I have to turn the volume up too much to where in between songs I can here my preamp. My analog system is SME 20.2, Graham 2.2 tonearm, Ortofon Windfeld, and Canary Audio MC10 phono. I have to turn the volume up 100% more than when using my digital ( ModWright DAC with Oppo 103). Step up transformers us MM output and my phonosage has only 2 MC selections. I could send my MC10 back for different transformers to up the gain (69.1) but don't know if that is the right way to go

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Hi Jim,

What volume number is the 080 displaying when using your phono? And, is your Canary 69db?

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Hi Jim,

What volume number is the 080 displaying when using your phono? And, is your Canary 69db?

Normally with my digital 9 is max., and with phono I have to go to 16-19. My MC10 is 69.1db. Thanks

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Hi Jim,

Not knowing the sensitivity of your CR-8's, the Elyse could be outputting a fairly high voltage and the mC10 fairly low, I can see that the Lundahl tranformers can be wired for 1:5, 1:10 or 1:20, would you know which option they used? If the Windfield puts out 0.3mV then 1:20 would be preferable, and into a 47k mm stage would give about 118 ohm load, so should be fine. If the Lundahl's are wired :5 or :10 it would possibly explain the lack of gain but worth checking with them. I use similar spec cart 0.28mV/3.8ohm, into SUT Allnic H3000, and right now Leonard Cohen's last LP is on 10 on the 080 and sounding fabulous, but sad lol..

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
CR8's are 4 ohm and 89db. I have to find out about Lundhal transformers. Might try and upgrade to silver at same time.

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
Just to piggy back on this channel because it's by far the most active Concert Fidelity thread- just recently got a pair of 300B push-pull monoblocks from Concert Fidelity.... They are truly incredible. Endgame. A bit more of a neutral bass than head-pounding, but absolutely perfectly balanced tuning.

Anyone still using their 080s today?

Taksil

Feb 5, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Just to piggy back on this channel because it's by far the most active Concert Fidelity thread- just recently got a pair of 300B push-pull monoblocks from Concert Fidelity.... They are truly incredible. Endgame. A bit more of a neutral bass than head-pounding, but absolutely perfectly balanced tuning.

Anyone still using their 080s today?
image.jpg
Still loving mine!

Reactions: jelt2359

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
Wow it looks gorgeous! Are those 240V units?

jelt2359

Nov 17, 2020
My own image. I have two of these, as they are monoblocks...

Image from iOS (2).jpg

Reactions: matakana

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing