Preamp selection help/advice

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
QUOTE=jazdoc;76044]A little off the beaten path but I have yet to hear anything better...The Experience Music Kahn Linestage. Two box unit with distinctive styling.
[/QUOTE]

Uh, Mark, “distinctive styling?” Wouldn’t that describe a Ford Edsel?
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...=8nbNTubjKsHK2AXr-pm3Dw&sqi=2&ved=0CEcQ9QEwBA

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
i'm partial to the darTzeel NHB-18NS on your list. particularly when you consider top level analog performance for your new turntable, the dart has a very very good phono stage included. it's battery powered, and built like a Swiss tank.

unfortunately; the current list price is 30k swiss francs (CHF). so the price in dollars does fluctuate. you do see them occasionally come up for sale used and with their build quality likely not a problem.

connectivity on the dart pre is very flexible, both input and output. like all the very best pre's it's a single ended design, but it also has the XLR input and outputs, as well as the 50 ohm BNC zeel interface which does perform better than the best conventional interconnects money can buy.

it uses a simple and elegant volume remote, so it's real world. many cost no object pre's have no remote.

there are other pre's in it's performance class; but they are all even more expensive and quite a bit less flexible. the modular build of the dart pre also allows for it being future proof.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Good point! Also, most tube power amps have capacitor coupling and DC on the input is not a problem. Solid-state power amps try to get away from capacitors on the input and then DC on the input IS a problem.

Yes but I remember many years ago, the DC blocking caps failing across the board in one tube manufacturer's preamplifiers and blowing up Krell amplifiers like it was nothing :(

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Christian, to your list, you might want to add the CAT SL 1 Renaissance or the CAT SL1 Legend. Both tube designs, but IMHO both competitive at the very least with your other contenders.:cool:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The XP-30 arrived on Monday. It is brand spanking new so some breakin/burnin is required. So far my impressions have been very positive. While it still needs to smooth out a bit, one thing is clear..... The unit is effortless in it's delivery of the music... Dynamics are explosive, the bass is refined, tight and extended. Instruments and voices have there own clearly defined space and seem to pop out in the soundstage on there own without restriction ie: getting homogenized with other instruments diminishing their impact in the stage. The sounds stage is wide and deep and the presentation is not too forward in your face. The treble is smooth, airy and extended. The midrange is rich and textured. I think this one will be a keeper.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I used to think so too (no preamp better). Unfortunately, the very best preamps take away nothing, add nothing, but somehow still manage to sound better than just connecting the DAC to the power amp.

Yep, I find this too. With lesser (but still good) preamps the most obvious degradation you hear is some transparency loss when it's inserted between a DAC and the amps. Putting my Ref5 in for example, has always been an improvement regardless of the DAC.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing