Have you ever had to change the counterweight due to a new cartridge?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Someone on another forum said that his dealer told him he needed a heavier counterweight to accomodate a Sumiko Pearl on a Pro-ject Debut TT. Since I have never had to change the counterweight on any TT I've owned due to a cartridge change, this information came as somewhat of a surprise.

Have you had to change your counterweight for a similar reason? Have you heard of this being done or recommended?

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
One of my friends needed a heavier counterweight on his Black Widow tonearm so he bought a second Black Widow counterweight and used the two counterweights together on the same tonearm.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Oh yes, definitely. Sometimes it's because of the high mass of the cartridge (like the Lyra Parnassus), other times it's the low compliance of the cartridge, and more mass is needed on the arm.

The Rega arms are notorious for needing more weight because the VTF is a spring that lifts the arm requiring. That changes the vertical resonance of the arm depending on the setting. For the Rega arm, I like using the Mitchell Technoweight, dialing in the VTF at around 3g, and then setting the correct VTF by moving the weight. Depending on the cartridge (sometimes cartridges have different vertical and horizontal compliances) adjusting the zero point may reduce a brittle/hard sound or tighten up a fat bass.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
if you're a denon dl103 user you're probably used to swaping counter weights or adding an addirtional weight if its a low-mass arm. the mass should be as close to the pivot as possible, if the weight is too far aft it may amplify warp wow among other negatives. I have an ikeda cartridge which is heavy, along the lines of the London/decca or koetsu onyx. i use a high-mass arm tube in additon to the larger counter weight. I believe ralph karsten of atmosphere fame offers a kit in the form of an armtube wrap installed before the pivot accomplishing the same thing by increasiing the effective mass of the arm.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Yes - you're definitely right. Adding mass as close to the pivot as possible sounds far better than adding a penny (NOS pre-1983 US penny) to the headshell and then moving the counterweight aft.

However, Soundsmith does a great mod of the Denon 103R to raise the compliance and shorten the cantilever.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The Zeta tonearm came with several rings that could be bolted to the main counterweight. I do not remember any more the exact distance, but the manufacturer specified an optimum position for the counterweight - if it was too far from it I would add or take out some weight and re-balance the arm.

The Sumiko MDC800, also called The Arm, was supplied with several counterweights - you had to use one that matched your cartridge. Eminent Technology also supplied some lead extra-weights in order to keep the center of the gravity of the moving system close to the bearing zone - it was critical to get the proper operation of this tangential air bearing tonearm.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing