Black Treasure CV-181 - 6SN7

Bigfish8

Apr 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Guys:

Until a couple of months ago I firmly believed that the Tung-Sol 6SN7 Round Plates made in the 1940's was the holy grail of 6SN7 Tubes. The Round Plates have been dethroned in my system by the Black Treasure CV-181's. I believe this review does a much better job of describing the sonics produced by this tube that I can but I totally agree with the reviewer: http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/shuguang_treasures_cv181_e.html

Ken

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Guys:

Until a couple of months ago I firmly believed that the Tung-Sol 6SN7 Round Plates made in the 1940's was the holy grail of 6SN7 Tubes. The Round Plates have been dethroned in my system by the Black Treasure CV-181's. I believe this review does a much better job of describing the sonics produced by this tube that I can but I totally agree with the reviewer: http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/shuguang_treasures_cv181_e.html

Ken

Ken:

Sounds very interesting for 6SN7 users. But I found it hard to figure out whether it was a CV181 or 6SN7? What do they cost?

I've been tempted to try their 12AX7s but just never got around to it. I think Jeff Dourgay (Tone audio) liked the 12AX7s though I seem to remember him saying that they changed the space perspective eg. things were closer. That might be a problem-for instance that would be great with a chamber music group but not so great for an orchestra --or real for that matter.

Last edited:

Bigfish8

Apr 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Ken:

Sounds very interesting for 6SN7 users. But I found it hard to figure out whether it was a CV181 or 6SN7? What do they cost?

I've been tempted to try their 12AX7s but just never got around to it. I think Jeff Dourgay (Tone audio) liked the 12AX7s though I seem to remember him saying that they changed the space perspective eg. things were closer. That might be a problem-for instance that would be great with a chamber music group but not so great for an orchestra --or real for that matter.

The CV181 is a direct 6SN7 replacement. A grade tubes are $320/pair.

Ken

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I have a new (not old stock) Tung-Sol single 6SL7 input tube on my power amp.

You have me wondering how it would stand up to the Black Treasure now.

I've been told that the input tube is the most important one.

I only paid around $15 for mine though.

Bigfish8

Apr 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I have a new (not old stock) Tung-Sol single 6SL7 input tube on my power amp.

You have me wondering how it would stand up to the Black Treasure now.

I've been told that the input tube is the most important one.

I only paid around $15 for mine though.

I have had many folks tell me that is is easy to build a system and obtain 95% of it capability. It is that last 5% that is difficult and can be rather expensive to achieve. My recommendation is if you are happy with the tubes you are using then don't try the Black Treasures. To my ears and to those of several of my friends that have purchased Treasures they are equal to or better than the very best NOS Tubes. The good news is that the Treasures are produced today and when you purchase them you obtain a warranty.

Ken

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
My recommendation is if you are happy with the tubes you are using then don't try the Black Treasures.
Good advice whether it be speaker wires, interconnects or wine. If you cannot hear or taste the difference then why pay more?

I'm sure I could hear the difference but igrnoance is bliss and it leaves more for my wine budget.

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
My guru friend Loc Vu (at the Yahoo GTA forum) has turned my attention to a trio of 6SN7GT family clones made in the USSR at the times of cold war.
He suggested the 6H9C type for "all around sound", the 6H8C for a bit more upfront presentation, and the more obscure 6H8C metal bottomed
type for the ultimate in attack and tremble presentation.He described them as much better that many "legendary" western NOS 6SN7 types
but thankfully not widely known to western world tube aficionados.I know of at least one western site that starts to pick up the vibe...
So far i have checked the first two and agree with his findings.I use the 6H9C in my SE-100s that take care of the mids and the 6H8C in my tweeter
powering amp.I am waiting for four of the last type ( more expensive but not in the league described in the review) to use and evaluate.
Loc suggested to try find the army versions of these (stamped OTK in a blue rombus, a JAN analogy) that have exceptional quality control.
Prices under 10$ a piece for the first two ,around 40$ for the last.If things are as he says i will stock for life!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing