Professional Tennis

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Although I am not an avid tennis fan I do like to watch the Grand Slam tournaments (US Open, French Open, Wimbledon and the Australian Open)

There have been some great names over the years such as......???

Name your 10 top male and 10 top female tennis pros of all time

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Will have to think about that. As a longtime player, one of the big bummers now is that racquet technology has homogenized the game. Who goes to the net anymore?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Will have to think about that. As a longtime player, one of the big bummers now is that racquet technology has homogenized the game. Who goes to the net anymore?

Well I'll tell you the tennis player who is widely considered to have the best swing biomechanics is Andre Agassi. When we do biomechanical video analysis using dartfish, the standard for men is Andre :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
John McEnroe. to this day he lives, breathes, and eats tennis. To me, he lived and died on every point. With his wooden racket, serve and volley style, Arthur Ashe said he had "asbestos hands." No matter how hard a ball was hit at him he could block it back into the open court. A reminder to youngsters; perfect your craft and stardom will come your way.'

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
John McEnroe. to this day he lives, breathes, and eats tennis. To me, he lived and died on every point. With his wooden racket, serve and volley style, Arthur Ashe said he had "asbestos hands." No matter how hard a ball was hit at him he could block it back into the open court. A reminder to youngsters; perfect your craft and stardom will come your way.'

Well for me it was a toss up between McEnroe or Connors who played harder and made the most of their talent.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Well for me it was a toss up between McEnroe or Connors who played harder and made the most of their talent.

I liked Connors too. He was one of the reasons Mac needed "asbestos hands."

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Here are a few pairs. In one on one games it's often the opponent that defines the player.

Bjorn Borg , the original ice man

If he was ice, Mac was fire

Pete Sampras, he of awesome power and sketchy cardio. Watching him puke his guts out literally but going on to win grand slams was cool in a sick way.

Andre Agassi, Pete's foil. All heart, all drama, all hard work won all Grand Slam events. I liked him better bald . I'm waiting for his and Steffi's kids to show up on tour. Talk about pedigree!

Roger Federer, sure he's the Hingis of the male set, technically brilliant but lacking drama. His record stands though. That he can party until the sun comes up after a grand slam says he owns Pete when it comes to Stamina :lol:

Rafael Nadal, Roger's foil. The guy who can run down Roger's angles. Got to give credit to the guy that gives the player with the best record in history headaches.

Jimmy Connors, huge heart, double backhand, hot girlfriend, mean game, boy next door looks.

Ilie Nastase had the looks of a hollywood villain and the game and temper to match. The contrast made watching fun as heck!

Steffi Graf, so successful and popular a fan stabbed her chief rival

Monica Seles, so good one of her chief rival's fans stabbed her

Hingis vs Venus, the ultimate combat of brains vs brawn

Williams Sisters, perhaps sport's most heated and longest running sibling rivalry. Their dad made many a naysayer eat crow.

Anna Kournikova, I don't think she ever won anything but....boy!!!!!!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Here are a few pairs. In one on one games it's often the opponent that defines the player.

Bjorn Borg , the original ice man

If he was ice, Mac was fire

Pete Sampras, he of awesome power and sketchy cardio. Watching him puke his guts out literally but going on to win grand slams was cool in a sick way.

Andre Agassi, Pete's foil. All heart, all drama, all hard work won all Grand Slam events. I liked him better bald . I'm waiting for his and Steffi's kids to show up on tour. Talk about pedigree!

Roger Federer, sure he's the Hingis of the male set, technically brilliant but lacking drama. His record stands though. That he can party until the sun comes up after a grand slam says he owns Pete when it comes to Stamina :lol:

Rafael Nadal, Roger's foil. The guy who can run down Roger's angles. Got to give credit to the guy that gives the player with the best record in history headaches.

Jimmy Connors, huge heart, double backhand, hot girlfriend, mean game, boy next door looks.

Ilie Nastase had the looks of a hollywood villain and the game and temper to match. The contrast made watching fun as heck!

Steffi Graf, so successful and popular a fan stabbed her chief rival

Monica Seles, so good one of her chief rival's fans stabbed her

Hingis vs Venus, the ultimate combat of brains vs brawn

Williams Sisters, perhaps sport's most heated and longest running sibling rivalry. Their dad made many a naysayer eat crow.

Anna Kournikova, I don't think she ever won anything but....boy!!!!!!

What about the great Australian quartet of the '70 Laver, Newcombe, Stolle and Rosewall. They dominated mens tennis in those years with an occassional appearance by Stan Smith or Arthur Ashe.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I was in preschool at the time so I was more into Warner Bros cartoons :)

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Appears all has been covered, however, I would add Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King, Chris Evert, and Evonne Goolagong on the distaff side. On the other side, I would add Boris Becker. I marvelled at Nastase and always rooted for Arthur.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Appears all has been covered, however, I would add Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King, Chris Evert, and Evonne Goolagong on the distaff side. On the other side, I would add Boris Becker. I marvelled at Nastase and always rooted for Arthur.

I also didn't see Ivan Lendl. And besides, Lendl was one of the first to buy what was then a fledgling multi-room audio system from Levinson :)

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
I also didn't see Ivan Lendl. And besides, Lendl was one of the first to buy what was then a fledgling multi-room audio system from Levinson :)

Excellent addition, Myles!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing