The Hurt Locker

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I enjoyed this in the same way I enjoyed Blackhawk Down or the original Die Hard.

It's a gripping keep you on the edge of your seat action flick with tension up the wazoo, which is a very interesting place to have tension.

In the final analysis, I don't think it is much more than that, which is fine by me. I think I gave that away with my reference to Die Hard. I like me some chewing gum for the noggin now and again.

Okay, so here goes nothin.'

I doubt this film gets an Academy nod if it's directed by a dude.

Did they really have to get Babra Steisand to give Kathryn Bigelow the statue?

Did Babs really have to clutch herself after opening the envelop and say, "our time has come!" Before announcing the winner? Doesn't that take the woman's victory and make it sort of patronizing?

I also suspect Hollywood thinks it pulled a little fast one here.

The film depicts the Iraq war as hell, so I suspect they believe the film has a veiled anti-war anti-GW Bush administration message. If it did, it certainly wouldn't bother me, but if they're thinking what I think they're thinking and I think they are, I think that's a bit of a stretch.

There is a tiny little particle in the film about how all of the regular normal guys want to get home and out of that dukie storm ASAP while the main character, who is presented as a screwed up adrenaline junkie, can't hang back at the homestead and feels he needs to get back in the flying shrapnel to get his next fix so he signs up for another round.

I'm pretty sure I've seen this character before in other (anti) war movies like Deer Hunter and Coming Home.

The message behind this, of course, is that only someone who is seriously whacked would want to do anything other than get out ASAP.

Take THAT, GW!

But, I think Hollywood also winks and ducks behind the idea that this is just a character study, just a slice of life exploration of one guy's screwed up psyche.

Yeah, okay.

Maybe they're happy to have a woman direct the type of film guys have made and see it as a sign of progress and maybe that's not such a bad thing. Maybe they're happy that the anti-war stuff might be subtle enough that they might be able to get all of those pro-Iraq War hawks into the film and then slide the anti-war stuff into their subconscious before they know what hit 'em.

Who knows?

Basically, I just thought it was a well made action film and it held my attention right through to the closing credits. That's plenty for me.

War is hell? Yeah.

Sane people want to serve their duty and get home safe? Yeah. Not really earth shattering revelations.

In other words, I liked the flick, but I also think it is getting some serious overhype.

Like, I would never nominate Die Hard for best picture.

Know what I mean?

Last edited:

Bigfish8

Apr 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I loved Hurt Locker and rate the movie at 4.5 out of 5 stars. It was one of, if not the most realistic urban warfare movie I have ever seen.

Ken

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I loved Hurt Locker and rate the movie at 4.5 out of 5 stars. It was one of, if not the most realistic urban warfare movie I have ever seen.

Ken

This is one that I agree with Ken on and not you Rob (although your description was right on). I never saw the film in theaters but it is a great flick for HT with great LF effects. It had me on the edge of my seat. Prior to viewing my Oscar nod was going to Inglourious Basterds (which BTW Rob I hope that you review). Once I saw Hurt Locker that was easily my best picture award

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
"The Hurt Locker" is one of my favorite flicks for it's visuals, audio, and emotional impact! ..."Tres puissant"!

* Luv the 'sniper' scene in the desert! :D ...And the few explosions plus the gun shots ring real!
But the real pudding is in the realism of 'war' true circumstances.

Bravo to Cameron's ex-wife, the director Kathryn Bigelow!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing