The girl you never noticed

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I've seen and heard most of the Meridian. In fact the store I frequent is a big pusher of the line. I think he has carried the line every since I've know him. He has no trouble selling it. He uses it in everything from 2 channel to Home Theater. He every tried to sell me a discontinued CD Player recently.
For me its always been like the girl you know. She's nice. She looks good. But she does not do it for you. You keep trying to set her up with your best friend.
Meridian 808

Attachments

• 808_3b-rearpanel..jpg
    808_3b-rearpanel..jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 267
  • 808_3-front-720..jpg
    808_3-front-720..jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
What I like about Meridian is that together with Harman group (Revel, JBL, etc), are the two companies that pay as much if not more attention to the science than the art. Bob Stewart's papers on audio are an incredible read. They are written in (relatively) easy to read language, yet are authoritative and thought provoking. So you always know that they got the science right as a minimum. Apodizing anti-aliasing filters are a good example of science being used to advance the art.

Demo-wise, they always do a good job. I still remember hearing Keb Mo's DVD years ago and being so impressed by it, even though I am not a fan of compressed DD audio tracks. Somehow they managed to get it to sound beautiful.

I also remember the first time I met Bob Stewart. I think it was 1983 when he came out to the local high-end audio shop, showing his Philips moded CD player. He didn't just play music. Instead, he put on a complete tutorial in digital processing! Again, leading with science and fundamentals...

Reactions: steve59

Health Nut

May 26, 2010
Meridian 861 Version 6

I received my Meridian 861 version 6 about a week ago. I'm very happy with it. I really like the single RJ45 (Ethernet) MMHR connection to the HD61, which replaces the multiple coax SPDIF digital cables. I used a 5 foot CAT 7 cable for that connection.

To this day, I cannot find a processor that does everything that the 861 does. I love the 1 Hz crossovers. Also, The 1 Hz optional filter on the LFE channel is awesome (for bad mixes trying to directly pump lots of 80-120 Hz info into your subs. I set my crossovers and LFE filter both on 60 Hz. The sound is awesome!

Last edited:

VernNeal

Aug 15, 2010
I have a 25 year old Meridian 508 CD player that has never skipped a beat. I really think they have always made one of the best CD PLAYERS

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing