What Is It That You Are A Collector Of

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I used to "collect" Legos as a child. Those were the best toys I could receive as presents; just fascinating how you could combine pieces from any set to create whatever your imagination wanted. I still have a tub of them at my parents house that I hope to pass on to my own children. The BBC made a Lego documentary and it was interesting to see how precise the manufacturing was to ensure every single piece would fit with another.

These days I don't really collect anything. I have a large collection of vinyl and CDs, like most music lovers. I'm particularly proud of my post-bop, avant-garde and free jazz records and CDs. However I'm not a complete-ist and only keep music that I listen to. But it's still a huge collection and I'm always rediscovering something.

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
What's your poisin, Nightlord? Recently, i've picked up the Springbank 21...2 bottles, 1 to keep...it's tripled in price since they sold out in 4 weeks last year. And a Yoichi 20-year. Over time, Springbank 10-yr small barrel, 18, Lagavulin 12, 16, 18, Distillers, Littlemore 21, Ardberg Supernova, Sazerac Rye 18, Macallan 10, 12, 18, 22, Highland Park 18, Glenmoreangie 18, St. Magdalene 26, Glenrothes 1985, Inverness 1971, and a few others. I dont 'collect'...i enjoy and finish them over time. I do keep the bottles which i intend to display someday over the bar. The only bottle i've left unopened is the Springbank 21 which i intend to keep just to see how high the price goes...

Sounds pretty good to me all of them. To name a few others I like too; Aberlour ( drawn my own bottle straight from cask there ), Talisker, Scapa, Brora, Hanyu. Laphroaig Cask Strength is a house standard.

I only have about 30 bottles open at a time to keep oxidation down.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sounds pretty good to me all of them. To name a few others I like too; Aberlour ( drawn my own bottle straight from cask there ), Talisker, Scapa, Brora, Hanyu. Laphroaig Cask Strength is a house standard.

I only have about 30 bottles open at a time to keep oxidation down.

Ahhh...how could i forget Laphroaig? I have an 18yr which was quickly enjoyed!! Have not had the opportunity to sample Aberlour...sounds like a neat experience to draw from the cask!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Hah-haah! I remember you enjoyed 'water of life' as well! That took quite some time...a judicious drinker or just savoring? Which Bushmills? I have not sampled it before. I have just poured Highland Park 18 after dinner.

I saved its content for special ocasions Lloyd, I will check on the Bushmills label and share.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
My interests are so diverse, I can't be considered a serious collector of anything, but I certainly have accumulated things over the years: cars, pianos, art, odd pieces of industrial design, vintage airplane instruments, musical instruments, motorcycles, cowboy boots, vinyl records, old medical and optical instruments, furniture from the 18th century through mid-century modern, the odd timepiece, books, eyeglass frames, old photographs. I enjoy the research as much as the acquisition but consider myself a dilettante, compared to a serious collector of anything.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If you have a vintage "On Air" sign somewhere in there I'd gladly take it off your hands Bill. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yesssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recordsguy

Sep 6, 2015
vinyl,be it 45's or albums I love em I have about[1200]albums and lookin for more everyday.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Speaking of "collecting" does anyone recall seeing the 1965 movie with Terence Stamp called the Collector.

Very chilling indeed
Read the book years ago then saw the film

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
large Die Cast collection, mostly NASCAR and of that Mostly #3 car. R.I.P.
Actually have a very nice #3 collection. Used to have a Full Sized Snap-on 1 of 150 made #3 at Sonoma Top and Bottom Box, sold that.

All concert ticket stubs, some signed.

My gig now is when I go to a concert I get to the stage or sound board and get the set list, some signed.

Last Rush concert I went to I made it to the sound board at intermission and the guy said, "we are all digital now its on the computer, but come back at the end of the show and I will print you one." He did!

Through eye contact only I got Bill Ward of Black Sabbath to hand me a nice set of aluminum handled mallets from the stage of his solo show. Took the whole show but I pulled it off.

Bourbon, but the bottle count never seems to get very high, same with the cigars. :p

Hell of a tool collection from 25 years wrenching.

Now building wood shop.

Music of all kinds and formats.

My wife collection still stands at one! :D

Oh just thought of this one, I have every birthday card ever given to me from about my 3rd birthday on. I like to look at them every once and awhile as many of them have passed, nice to see their writing.

Cyclotronguy

Aug 31, 2012
N. CA
Does this count as collecting? I have a box full of un-used airline "baggage stamps", going back to the Wright Bros Mail Service and ending with the "Connie". I give it a good looking over, once every 20 years or so.

Cyclotronguy

PS

If tools and tooling count, then I may have issues

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I own approximately 50 football (soccer) jerseys. Oh, and I've worn them all.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Hi to all,

I am collecting old sports cars & coupes. I have 3 cars currently . I'm trying to increase my collection but because all my children are still studying this hobby takes a backseat. Our audio hobby also prevents me from going full blast w/ my car hobby. One drawback of the car collecting hobby is the limit to were one can store them & finding the time to drive & enjoy these beautiful cars. I only have 3 collectible cars but am finding it hard to find time to drive & unleash the beast in them because of my practice & family. I wonder how other car guys drive/ enjoy them when even some of them have more than 10 cars in their stable.
I use to collect die cast collectible cars but once you start collecting the real thing this hobby fades into the background.
I'm surprise there are no forum members who collect vintage Ferrari 's & Porsche 911 's, or old Mercedes Benz & BMW's . Because members of WBF are the most sophisticated individuals I had came across compared to other audio forums .

Tdh888

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hi to all,
I'm surprise there are no forum members who collect vintage Ferrari 's & Porsche 911 's, or old Mercedes Benz & BMW's . Because members of WBF are the most sophisticated individuals I had came across compared to other audio forums .

Tdh888

My wife and l like exotic cars. I told her the other day, for the money we've sunk into the studio/equipment, we could have his/hers matching Ferrari 488's!!

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
My wife and l like exotic cars. I told her the other day, for the money we've sunk into the studio/equipment, we could have his/hers matching Ferrari 488's!!

In my case Bruce , super expensive hobby's but I don't have that much money.

Tdh888

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi to all,

I am collecting old sports cars & coupes. I have 3 cars currently . I'm trying to increase my collection but because all my children are still studying this hobby takes a backseat. Our audio hobby also prevents me from going full blast w/ my car hobby. One drawback of the car collecting hobby is the limit to were one can store them & finding the time to drive & enjoy these beautiful cars. I only have 3 collectible cars but am finding it hard to find time to drive & unleash the beast in them because of my practice & family. I wonder how other car guys drive/ enjoy them when even some of them have more than 10 cars in their stable.
I use to collect die cast collectible cars but once you start collecting the real thing this hobby fades into the background.

Tdh888

We have a manila based one but he's a lurker. As far as I know he's got a pagoda, a W111, uses a 6.3 as his daily, a 40's Caddy, is working on a 1964 and a half (I think) Mustang and some other cool stuff. Audio wise his system is VSA, Valvet, Accuphase but is working on a new room where he will go VSA, Lamm, and go analog finally.

While my boss, ECJ, isn't into audio he is one of the countries biggest collectors. Lots of cars in there that would kill at auction. He does love music and for a time they actually put together an entire philharmonic and choir.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
I know "The Boss " have a lot of cars . But the guy w/ the a Pagoda & W111 I have not the pleasure of meeting him yet . If his a member of the Manila Sports Car Club most probably I will have the chance to know him.

Tdh888

Recordsguy

Sep 6, 2015
I collect records[vinyl LP's-45's]I scour the thrift store for some great finds, and also the oldies store[a bit more expensive though]I enjoy collecting movies also but music is my passion.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...Bourbon, but the bottle count never seems to get very high, same with the cigars. :p

Music of all kinds and formats.

My wife collection still stands at one! :D

My personal rankings of the best whisky's i have ever tasted. A (Y) means we own it.

0. Glenfiddich '77, smooooth, rich, stunningly smooth actually
0. Springbank 35-year; smoky, the ultimate of Springbank non-sweet imho
0. Springbank 21-year (Y) smoky, sweet, smoooth, the ultimate of Spring sweet imho
0. Macallan 30-year, smoooooth, clean...one of the most memorable and favored clean, smooth non-smoky whiskys of all time imho

5. Springbank 18 (Y), smoky, smooth, for what i paid a stunning achievement, and its doubled in price in the last 3 yrs since selling out.
5. St. Magdalene 26-year (Y), honey, pure honey
5. Ardberg Supernova '10 (Y), smoke!!!, but so tasty, so good you could drink the smoke for a looong time.

8. Ardberg '78, smoke, 'rougher'
8. Sazerac Rye 18-year Old (Y), smooth Bourbon, very smooth, very refined and a memorably caramely flavor
8. Nikka Super Whisky (Y) (Limited Edition - released Dec 2015)

10. Glenrothes 1985 (Y) rich, syrup
10. Lagavulin 16 (Y) great value, smoke and one of my fav whiskys. period.
10. Macallan 18 year (Y), great value
10. Laphroig 18 Year (Y), smoke,
--------------
13. Glenmorangie 18 (Y),
13. Invergordon Berry Bros 1971 (Y)
13. Laphroig 10 year (Y), smoke
16. Highland Park 18 (Y), med rich,
--------------
17. Craggenmore 12-year (Y), light, smooth
18. Ardberg 1991, smoke
19. Glenlivit Nadurra 16 yrs, sweet
19. Lagavulin Distillers Edition (Y),
19. Yoichi 10-Year,
22. Lagavulin 12year (Y), light smoke
--------------
23. Glenmorangie Cellar 13, sweet, smooth
24. Glenmorangie Signet, sweet smooth
25. Bowmore 18-year, Bruiccladdich 18

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing