What Is It That You Are A Collector Of

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I just bought a Fender sunburst Strat, a Vox Wah and a Dunlop FuzzFace.

I stopped playing for 15 years....but getting back into it.

same deal here...played alot from high school through college (1980's), then stopped. I got back into it in the late 90's and slacked off again until 2 years ago.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Used to collect computer software. Had floppy disks all around the house, it was madness.
Then HDs got big, and collecting software that way wasn't as much fun :D
And that's when I turned to music... CDs and LPs. Have about 14k now, adding about 1.5k every year...
Very enjoyable collection/addiction, if you ask me!

alexandre

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I collect classical music! I realize that my collection might be smaller than some (e.g. I definitely don't have 14,000 individual discs like Alex), but my collection does cover all the important works, many of the most important recordings, and I have a nice sprinkling of some obscure works as well. In the olden days (i.e. before Spotify) I used to delight in hunting down rare recordings and inviting friends over to listen.

Besides music, I also have a nice collection of history books, although I can not really say I am a history book collector. I just buy what interests me, I don't go to any great lengths to obtain rare books.

Oh yes. My dad's a lawyer (well, he was a court of appeals judge actually) and he has a collection of lawyer figurines in his office. Therefore I collect ... doctor figurines!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've never really been a collector of anything as I just don't possess the staying power to improve upon it. I don't even consider my LP collection a "collection" per se.

Funny thing though.....in years past I traveled every week on planes, trains and automobiles throughout Canada and the U.S. I'd pick up pens from here and there. I'd come home, use a few for a bit and then throw them in a box. I was going through some stuff earlier in the week and came across several of them. Don't really know why I keep them, but I have so far. Oh well! I think I have about 400 of them. LOL!

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
I've been collecting single malt Scotch whisky. Currently and for the last couple of years on the back burner as the money have gone into hifi instead. But I'll probably be picking up tempo again in the future.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
same deal here...played alot from high school through college (1980's), then stopped. I got back into it in the late 90's and slacked off again until 2 years ago.

I figured if I went out and spent the money on the guitar it would guilt me into playing again..it worked...

The first song I am learning is "A Taste of Honey"..the Beatles cover.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Very informally, vintage cocktail shakers and glassware, and old industrial art products. The shakers and glasses all get used. They and stuff like an old Zenith ashtray populates the bar shelves. Tequila, I suppose as I've got around 25 bottles, but that collection has some turnover :)

I find alot of the industrial art stuff a reminder of more optimistic times. There's an innocence and sometimes even exuberance in the design that appeals.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Dust, mainly. I am not actively collecting anything now, just things I pick up and then never seem to get around to doing anything with....

Old journals and magazines (including Audio from the 3rd magazine on...) Textbooks, reference books, some of which I open and wonder at the fact I once understood what was in them...

A few coins from childhood trips and a more recent European trip. Old bag of stamps. Somewhere.

CDs, DVD/BDs... I have about 300 records left from my collection of ~3000 but have not set up my TT (no good place in my current rig). I have some old audio equipment I really need to sell but cringe at what it would bring compared to what I paid, or the need to get it back into stock (iof not working) condition, like my modified SP3a1, and old Hafler amp, Eico EL34 amp, etc.

Thinking about all the stuff I have and never have time to use is depressing... - Don

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Speaking of "collecting" does anyone recall seeing the 1965 movie with Terence Stamp called the Collector.

Very chilling indeed

Classic flick. Terence Stamp has had a great career. See The Limey if you haven't.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I really don't collect much. Been sitting here for the past couple of minutes thinking about what collections I do have and besides tools and music? Nothin'. Nada. When I walk out into my garage, all I see is tools from floor to ceiling with a small path to make it through. Most of them beyond the "standard" everyday tools are highly specialized for home remodeling. Then again, maybe I'm not a collector of tools. I just like the right tool for the job.

I report, you decide. :)

Tom

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I started collecting frogs since a teenager, unfortunately they ended up in a box since I do not have a dedicated space to place them, but I have one or another here and there at home. I would also say I collect family pictures, and try to have them updated in the computer with face recognition, places visited, etc.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I've been collecting single malt Scotch whisky. Currently and for the last couple of years on the back burner as the money have gone into hifi instead. But I'll probably be picking up tempo again in the future.

What's your poisin, Nightlord? Recently, i've picked up the Springbank 21...2 bottles, 1 to keep...it's tripled in price since they sold out in 4 weeks last year. And a Yoichi 20-year. Over time, Springbank 10-yr small barrel, 18, Lagavulin 12, 16, 18, Distillers, Littlemore 21, Ardberg Supernova, Sazerac Rye 18, Macallan 10, 12, 18, 22, Highland Park 18, Glenmoreangie 18, St. Magdalene 26, Glenrothes 1985, Inverness 1971, and a few others. I dont 'collect'...i enjoy and finish them over time. I do keep the bottles which i intend to display someday over the bar. The only bottle i've left unopened is the Springbank 21 which i intend to keep just to see how high the price goes...

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I collect diecast models. Cars, mostly, though I have a some bikes, as well. The bulk are 1:18 and 1:24 scale.

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
As a kid I collected stamps with my dad and my brother and I collected arrowheads we would find with my grandfather on trips out on the plains of Colorado. I remember keeping them in a wooden cigar box my grandfather had given us. As time passed I lost track of them. My grandfather passed away about 15 years ago, then my brother 9 years ago and I lost my father last year. In cleaning out my parents home I came upon boxes that were way back in a storage room containing both the stamp collection and the arrowheads. It brought me to tears to find and recover them, so many memories so easily contained.

As an adult I've collected music (LP's and CD's), and for awhile it seemed I was collecting bikes. I had 6 at one time, down to 3 now. I also have every ticket stub from every concert I've been to, about 200 some now.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
What's your poisin, Nightlord? Recently, i've picked up the Springbank 21...2 bottles, 1 to keep...it's tripled in price since they sold out in 4 weeks last year. And a Yoichi 20-year. Over time, Springbank 10-yr small barrel, 18, Lagavulin 12, 16, 18, Distillers, Littlemore 21, Ardberg Supernova, Sazerac Rye 18, Macallan 10, 12, 18, 22, Highland Park 18, Glenmoreangie 18, St. Magdalene 26, Glenrothes 1985, Inverness 1971, and a few others. I dont 'collect'...i enjoy and finish them over time. I do keep the bottles which i intend to display someday over the bar. The only bottle i've left unopened is the Springbank 21 which i intend to keep just to see how high the price goes...

Lloyd - the Pendelyn is gone! :) had my last drop this afternoon - a Bushmills bottle is awaiting...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd - the Pendelyn is gone! :) had my last drop this afternoon - a Bushmills bottle is awaiting...

Hah-haah! I remember you enjoyed 'water of life' as well! That took quite some time...a judicious drinker or just savoring? Which Bushmills? I have not sampled it before. I have just poured Highland Park 18 after dinner.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing