Best Exercise Machine For Overall Workout

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I like the flexibility of the Octane!

We had the Life Fitness 5i here, which also has adjustable stride length. While you can set a stride length that is good for one speed, you cannot lengthen your stride on the go if you wish to go faster (or shorten it to go slower). Unnatural IMO, but extremely popular because they're so smooth and easy.

Lee

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
We had the Life Fitness 5i here, which also has adjustable stride length. While you can set a stride length that is good for one speed, you cannot lengthen your stride on the go if you wish to go faster (or shorten it to go slower). Unnatural IMO, but extremely popular because they're so smooth and easy.

Lee

That really make s sense to me Lee

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Lee

Do you feel that this stride adjustment is good or bad? It's kinda like sprinters trying to extend stride length and their foot hits on front of their COG, thus effectively actually decelerating their body, rather than accelerating.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Do you feel that this stride adjustment is good or bad? It's kinda like sprinters trying to extend stride length and their foot hits on front of their COG, thus effectively actually decelerating their body, rather than accelerating.

I feel that it is good for a single, chosen speed for each user. If that user, regardless of condition, attempts to speed up, then the stride length will be incorrect. I am not advocating the use of improper mechanics when running or "ellipticalling". If we measure the average stride length of many users, the maximal adjustment is not good for any speed faster than a brisk walk. The lack of further extension serves to force an unnatural stride when trying to go any faster than this stride length adjustment. It's as if we tied a 24" rope between your feet and asked you to run.... you end up shuffling quickly in an unnatural gait. Ask a con about leg irons....

It's obvious I have strong feelings about ellipticals. They undisputedly enjoy great popularity because they offer almost zero dynamic impact and they make the workout seem so easy (because you're not working that hard...).

Lee

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I feel that it is good for a single, chosen speed for each user. If that user, regardless of condition, attempts to speed up, then the stride length will be incorrect. I am not advocating the use of improper mechanics when running or "ellipticalling". If we measure the average stride length of many users, the maximal adjustment is not good for any speed faster than a brisk walk. The lack of further extension serves to force an unnatural stride when trying to go any faster than this stride length adjustment. It's as if we tied a 24" rope between your feet and asked you to run.... you end up shuffling quickly in an unnatural gait. Ask a con about leg irons....

It's obvious I have strong feelings about ellipticals. They undisputedly enjoy great popularity because they offer almost zero dynamic impact and they make the workout seem so easy (because you're not working that hard...).

Lee

I've actually measured the number of calories burned on different pieces of cardio gear. The treadmills are close enough to be considered accurate; all others are fantasy, in part because they include RMR. For instance, the actual number of calories burned on an elliptical is about 65% of the number shown on the machine. And actually, for the same HR, one burns more calories walking on a treadmill than doing the bike (not unexpected since calorie expenditure is related to amount of muscle mass involved).

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I'll vote bicycle on trainer with Polar heart rate monitor. This means you can ride the bike inside in bad weather or darkness and take outside during daylight. The problem with the treadmill is shock tot he joints. And it tends to spike the heart rate. Very few people take the time for a fifteen minute warm-up. a bike makes it very easy to do a linear progression into the target heart rate 60-80 percent of your max heart. Moreover when you tire before finishing your stop running together causing the heart rate to drop rapidly. On the bike you can continue to peddle and drop your heart rate more slowly. Of course there is less shock on the knees.
The other thing is you can get a great bike fir what some of these treadmills are going for. Downside it is a one person machine.

Husk

Member Sponsor
Apr 20, 2010
Spokane, Wa.
Steve, Lee is obviously the most qualified to make recommendations for you, but I would suggest you get a hold of an Octane dealer and just try the Q47ci. elliiptical product. To my mind one of the most important questions to ask is simple which product will you be the most likely to use on a daily basis. To my mind , the elliptical machine is the one product I feel that most people will want to get on every day. At least that is the case with me. Just my two cents.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Is the Octane made by Life Fitness

No. It does boast a feature that is rare, however. Apparently, the "SmartStride" monitors pace and adjusts stride length accordingly. This could be a useful feature if you do not plan to go any faster than the maximum stride length of 26" on the machine.

Take a short walk on the sidewalk in front of your home. Walk at various paces to determine what the maximal stride length you might use is, and measure that length. Be sure to go fast enough so that you could get a good workout using that pace on a non-impact machine. If your maximal stride length is 26" or less, this machine could be a good alternative for you. 26", however, is not a long stride. Consider that your foot is 11-12" long and picture the result.

Lee

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Are there two men machines??
lol.:)Bikes come in different sizes. Women tend to have longer legs and shorter torso. Makes them beautiful but requires a different geometry on their bicycle. Bicycles are easily interchangeable though.

Husk

Member Sponsor
Apr 20, 2010
Spokane, Wa.
Steve , The Octane is made by two guys who left Precor about 3 years ago. They wanted to make the best Ellipital machine they could with their experience from Precor. They make nothing else. I just turned 68 and am 6Ft 1in tall and weight 170. At 26 inches, the stride lenght is perfect for me. I have only been using it in the manual mode so far. I go about 3 and a half miles in 30 minutes. My pulse gets up to about 140, which is 90% of my max. and I am am getting a great sweat. You can monitor your speed, distance and pulse as you go. If you put one in your 12 x 12 room with a flat panel on the wall, I believe you would truly enjoy the experience. I usually play XM radio thru a receiver and just close my eyes the last 15 minutes and cruise. For me ,an ellipital is the only machine I know I can get on everyday and enjoy. For me, that's THE ball game. The correct model # is the Q47ci. I think the street price is about 4K. I went down to my dealer with the intent of buying the Cybex Arc, but once I got on this machine for 20 minutes, it was no contest.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
At 26 inches, the stride lenght is perfect for me. I have only been using it in the manual mode so far. I go about 3 and a half miles in 30 minutes.

At a 26" stride length, 3 miles is 7400 steps. 7400 divided by 30 minutes = 247 steps per minute, or over 4 steps per second. I believe there is a calibration error in your machine.

Lee

Last edited:

Husk

Member Sponsor
Apr 20, 2010
Spokane, Wa.
Lee, Thanks for the info. , I will check that out. Just getting use to it. I guess I have a little homework to do or I am getting inaccurate readings. I will try it tomorrow and report back.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
max heart rate 220-age-; 220-68=152; .60x 152=91;.80x152=122 your min-max should be 90-120.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
max heart rate 220-age-; 220-68=152; .60x 152=91;.80x152=122 your min-max should be 90-120.

This "standard" formula, while a good ballpark, operates according to the bell curve distribution. Meaning, there are standard deviations of HR Max for the population that vary from those predicted by this formula. It's possible that Husk's HR range can be shifted higher on the curve. If he can work for 30 minutes at a HR = 140, then that isn't anaerobic for him (providing the HR monitor is accurate!).

Husk,

Is the HR monitor incorporated into your elliptical? If so, is it a Polar transmitter belt you're using with it? If not, what brand and design (location of HR sensor on your body) are you using?

Lee

Lee

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Or you could go with Karvonian heart rate reserve where formula is (220 - age-resting HR x % (say .6 of MHR) + resting HR. Of course we know the limitations as we previously discussed eg for those people at the low end of the HR (or 2 SDs) out that might result in overtraining :) But it works for most in population and probably is worst for well trained athletes (but for that matter so is BMI!).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing