Mobile Fidelity

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
I just received a MOFI Ultra Analog Gain 2 version of The Allman Brothers "Idlewild South" which I listened to again last night and absolutely LOVE! I have the Atco SD 33-342 pressing which I always thought was very good, but the MOFI easily tops it. The Gain 2 vinyl is extremely quiet, almost completely noiseless. The dynamics of this pressing is very very good with excellent sonics. You will pick up elements of music that you just don't hear on the older version.

Now if they would only just remaster Elton John's Captan Fantastic on the same format I'd be one really happy old cat!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I was shocked at how good this early '70s rock recording was!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I just received a MOFI Ultra Analog Gain 2 version of The Allman Brothers "Idlewild South" which I listened to again last night and absolutely LOVE! I have the Atco SD 33-342 pressing which I always thought was very good, but the MOFI easily tops it. The Gain 2 vinyl is extremely quiet, almost completely noiseless. The dynamics of this pressing is very very good with excellent sonics. You will pick up elements of music that you just don't hear on the older version.

Now if they would only just remaster Elton John's Captan Fantastic on the same format I'd be one really happy old cat!

Hey Fred! I looked at the Allman Brothers MoFi today, but instead went with the Marvin Gaye- What's Going On release. I really like the Allman Brothers, but I've always wanted a Mofi of Marvin's LP. Making dinner right now, but I hope to have it spinning in an hour or so.

John

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hey Fred! I looked at the Allman Brothers MoFi today, but instead went with the Marvin Gaye- What's Going On release. I really like the Allman Brothers, but I've always wanted a Mofi of Marvin's LP. Making dinner right now, but I hope to have it spinning in an hour or so.

John

I wish MoFi or Chad would go back and reissue Slowhand! (I've asked Chad too but I doubt it will happen; a 45 rpm of Slowhand would be to die for.)

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA

John

When you get around to it, pick up the MOFI Idlewild South. You'll be knocked out how good it sounds.

I wish MoFi or Chad would go back and reissue Slowhand! (I've asked Chad too but I doubt it will happen; a 45 rpm of Slowhand would be to die for.)

Maybe if we all ask he'll do it!

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
While we're on the Mofi subject; has anyone heard the Mofi Elvis Costello vinyl releases? I'm tempted to pick one up but would really like some comment first.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
While we're on the Mofi subject; has anyone heard the Mofi Elvis Costello vinyl releases? I'm tempted to pick one up but would really like some comment first.

I have My Aim is True; I don't have an original with which to compare, but it is very good. Perhaps a bit "thick" sounding at times, but I suspect that's the source material.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
I have My Aim is True; I don't have an original with which to compare, but it is very good. Perhaps a bit "thick" sounding at times, but I suspect that's the source material.

Hi Rich,

It could just as well be your pressing of the LP. No 2 LPs sound quite the same and the performance can vary dramatically from side to side.

Rich

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA

Hi Rich,

It could just as well be your pressing of the LP. No 2 LPs sound quite the same and the performance can vary dramatically from side to side.

Rich

Hi Rich & Rich! Gosh, don't get to say that too often. :) I have an original of My Aim Is True that I think is very uneven in sound quality. Cuts like Watching The Detectives and Waiting For The End Of The World sound pretty good, other tracks seem a bit thin and wispy. Curious that you would describe the Mofi as a bit thick. I was really thinking of having a go at This Year's Model, but would really like some input from an owner of the mofi release first.

I agree also that the same title can have a very different sound one pressing from the next.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

OneMalt

Jun 27, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Slightly OT. Has anyone else preordered the MoFi LP reissue of Little Feat's Waiting For Columbus? Mine has been on order for nearly a year now! I can't get a straight answer out of MoFi as to why.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Just got a MoFi of Donald Fagan's The Nightfly. I have the original too and I must say that the Mofi is a great sounding one and did not disappoint. Better soundstage, separation, and rock tight bass and punchy dynamics.

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
Yes Jadis a lot of the MoFI recordings are excellent, my favorite three in order are Alan Parsons - I Robot; Muddy Waters - The Folk Singer; and Supertramp - Crime of the Century.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
MoFi are some of my favorite LP's. As already posted, Muddy Waters and Getz Gilberto, Mulligan meets Webster.. are at the sweet-spot:cool:
However, I would like to add:
Pink Floyd Atom Heart Mother
The Blues a Real Summit Meeting
Ella and Louis again
MJQ at the Music Inn with Sonny Rollins
Bille Holiday, Body and Soul
and even one I just listened to...Red Nichols at Marineland:p....Yes, the music is so, so, but
the sound is pretty nice and this one is not too hard to find and fairly inexpensive.:D

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Slightly OT. Has anyone else preordered the MoFi LP reissue of Little Feat's Waiting For Columbus? Mine has been on order for nearly a year now! I can't get a straight answer out of MoFi as to why.

Just got it and have only spun one side -- it's an improvement. The side w/Mercenary Territory and Spanish Moon is my all time fave live sequence.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I have always found MoFis to be hit or miss. They don't always sound better than the original pressings. One example that quickly comes to mind is the first Chicago LP. Listen to I'm a Man on the orginal and the MoFi and ask yourself, "where's the bass?" On the other hand, MoFi's version of Herb Alpert "Rotation" has bass that will scare you and is overall a great sounding recording.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
One of my closest friends is a former senior exec with MFSL and has their entire catalog up until the last year or two when there were almost no new releases in sealed boxes if anyone is looking to make a major record purchase. I do not believe that he is looking to break it up into singles, but might be persuaded to sell some major portions, if not the entire collection. If anyone is interested, let me know and I will reach out to him.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I have many many MoFis (LPs, CDs and SACDs) and think that mostly they sound very very good. There are some exceptions, though. For instance, the 45 RPM version (I have serial #136) of Patricia Barber, Modern Cool is very poor. The MoFi SACD and CD of this album are both much better, in comparison.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing