Mobile Fidelity

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
What's everyone's favorite MoFi LP reissues-both past and present count!

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
This may date me but my MFSL UHQR "I Robot" is incredible. The clarity and detail of the music and it is dead quiet.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Off the top of my head, I think that MFSL's two Jean-Michel Jarre releases (Oxygene and Equinoxe) would be my faves.

I saw him perform live in a Houston downtown outdoor park concert about 20 years ago. They used lasers to project images on the buildings and his light organ shot beams of light into the air. It was fantastic.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I saw him perform live in a Houston downtown outdoor park concert about 20 years ago. They used lasers to project images on the buildings and his light organ shot beams of light into the air. It was fantastic.

That would have been Rendezvous Houston. They showed it on TV in the UK, and fantastic is an understatement! I got see him a few years later, in London's Docklands (Destination Docklands, I think it was called), when Revolutions was his current LP. It was even better live!

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
The UHQR of Respighi's Feste Romane was a killer on my system. I've read that some folks thought the original Decca was even better... I'd have loved to hear that!

There is a Decca pressing right now on eBay for $25.69 (high current bid), while the sealed UHQR is going for $500-600!

Lee

Last edited:

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
This may date me but my MFSL UHQR "I Robot" is incredible. The clarity and detail of the music and it is dead quiet.

I have one of these MoFi I Robot UHQRs, serial no. 250, but I've never listened to it. I'll check it out. I bought it used a long time ago. Check out the price of sealed copies on Ebay!

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i have lots of MFSL Lps, and really like many of them, but my favorite (at the moment) is likely the 'Gerry Mulligan meets Ben Webster'.......a really wonderful Lp i never tire of. 'Cat Walk' may be the perfect cut.

Muddy Waters 'Folk Singer' may be number 2, and i prefer it to the Classic Records version.

earlier MFSL's really need VTA dailed in to be top notch.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Mine would be Earl Klugh's Late Night Guitar and Johnny Mathis' Heavenly.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
OK here's a few of mine:

Like Mike L love the Mulligan/Webster and it's always been a reference LP for me (though think the new ORG 45 rpm release is better)

Like Rich like both Jarre's Equinox and Oxygen

Haven't heard the Parsons but I'm intrigued!

Few others I'll throw out:

Don Sebesky: Three Workds for Jazz Soloists and Symphony Orchestra
The Fantasy World of Bernard Herrmann
Bernard Herrmann: Four Faces of Jazz
Getz/Gilberto (though the early original is still better sounding)
Allman Brothers: Idlewild South
Santana: Abraxas
Yes: Close to the Edge
Eric Clapton: Slowhand (former resident of HPs list, not sure why fell off list and would love to see Chad reissue!)
Renaissance: Scheherazade (far better sound and music than the Renaissance on HP's list)
Cat Stevens: Tea for the Tillerman
Joan Baez: Diamonds and Rust

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Sadly I only have one.....John Lennon: Plastic Ono Band.

John

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Sadly I only have one.....John Lennon: Plastic Ono Band.

John

You know the sound may not be the greatest but the music of Lennon transcends everything else. I love all three Lennon MFSLs for their music!

One can only wonder what might have been if DCC stuck around and Steve Hoffman had remastered the Beatles catalog :(

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
You know the sound may not be the greatest but the music of Lennon transcends everything else. I love all three Lennon MFSLs for their music!

One can only wonder what might have been if DCC stuck around and Steve Hoffman had remastered the Beatles catalog :(

Speaking of which! Anyone excited about the new vinyl remasters this year? I predicted a timeline 0f 10-10-10 ...LOL!

Monkeyboy

Jun 25, 2010
Northern Virginia

I have the opposite opinion of this pressing. I was astounded by how well it was recorded and the quality of the pressing itself. It's one of the best I have.

I don't really have a favorite MFSL record. How does one choose?

nsgarch

Apr 20, 2010
What's everyone's favorite MoFi LP reissues-both past and present count!
I think a more interesting question/poll (which has been asked before of course) is which MoFi releases were crap! And not only crap, but worse than the original commercial realeases.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
I think a more interesting question/poll (which has been asked before of course) is which MoFi releases were crap! And not only crap, but worse than the original commercial realeases.

I know that Tom Port of Better Records is not generally a big fan of the Mobile Fidelity and any of the 1/2 speed masters, reissues on Heavy Vinyl, etc. He is the gentleman that coined the term Hot Stampers and sells these expensive records through his store. I have about 20 of these some less expensive, some more expensive. They tend to be on regular vinyl and many are the original pressings. I will say though expensive they do generally tend to be extraordinary pressings and their audio performance is something else. These may be something consider for anyone that has a favorite or several favorite albums and groups

Rich

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

That's an interesting question Neil. Have you gone back and relistened to some of the older MoFi releases lately? I think that some of the MoFis were better than given credit for.

Some of the issues such as the tipped up top ends (the Giorgi/Ricker thing) --may have been caused in part by the playback gear then and in particular the "hot" MCs of the day--may have clouded our judgement. After hearing the master tapes of some of these "HP" discs, I'd say that some of them are rolled off and the top end zip of some of those cartridges made up for upper octave attenuation of for example the older RCA Living Stereos.

My main criticism was the choice of material. Some of those albums were poorly recorded to start with and one couldn't make a silk purse out of sows ear.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I know that Tom Port of Better Records is not generally a big fan of the Mobile Fidelity and any of the 1/2 speed masters, reissues on Heavy Vinyl, etc. He is the gentleman that coined the term Hot Stampers and sells these expensive records through his store. I have about 20 of these some less expensive, some more expensive. They tend to be on regular vinyl and many are the original pressings. I will say though expensive they do generally tend to be extraordinary pressings and their audio performance is something else. These may be something consider for anyone that has a favorite or several favorite albums and groups

Rich

I wouldn't buy anything from that guy if he was the last person on earth with LPs.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
I wouldn't buy anything from that guy if he was the last person on earth with LPs.

Hi Myles,

I am sorry you feel that way, but though his records may be expensive, they and he does deliver the goods. Tom is very opinionated and has rubbed some people the wrong way, I know. But, you at least owe it to yourself to have the opportunity to hear one or more of these "Hot Stamper" albums that you know. I know that I have been truly amazed by many of the "Hot Stampers" that I have. I also know that Chris Brady of Teres Audio was impressed when he installed my Teres Certus 450, Teres Illius Tonearm, and Soundsmith Strain Gauge Cartridge. In fact, after hearing my copy of Peter Gabriel's Security he purchased a "normal" copy to use for demo purposes. I also know that when Jonathan Weiss of Oswald's Mill Audio was also extremely impressed with some of these when I listened to his equipment at the Oswlad's Mill as well as when I demoed Jonathan's OMA Mini Horns in my own home.

Rich

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Myles,

I am sorry you feel that way, but though his records may be expensive, they and he does deliver the goods. Tom is very opinionated and has rubbed some people the wrong way, I know. But, you at least owe it to yourself to have the opportunity to hear one or more of these "Hot Stamper" albums that you know. I know that I have been truly amazed by many of the "Hot Stampers" that I have. I also know that Chris Brady of Teres Audio was impressed when he installed my Teres Certus 450, Teres Illius Tonearm, and Soundsmith Strain Gauge Cartridge. In fact, after hearing my copy of Peter Gabriel's Security he purchased a "normal" copy to use for demo purposes. I also know that when Jonathan Weiss of Oswald's Mill Audio was also extremely impressed with some of these when I listened to his equipment at the Oswlad's Mill as well as when I demoed Jonathan's OMA Mini Horns in my own home.

Rich

"Some"???? Try no one else knows what they are talking about but him; like God died and gave him his ears. (like someone else out there who purports himself to be the industry watchdog.) I've said my piece and say no more.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing