Best Sounding Concert Blu-Rays

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Apparently they have made up, but Mr. Gilmour isn't interested in reviving PF. I would think that with the recent passing of Richard Wright it has now become even more of an improbibility. A shame though.....Glad I was able to see them back in the early 70's at Montreal's Olympic Stadium during their promo tour for Animals.

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm usually not a hard critic when it comes to grading the PQ/AQ of my Blu-ray Concert discs as it's all about the music first. Also, I have yet to listen/watch to all of them on my list as I've had little time lately to do so. Hopefully after I settle into my new apartment at the end of the month I can break the seal on some of them.

Here is a list of the Blu-ray Concert discs I own so far:

2L the Nordic sound (DTS-HDMA 5.1 / LPCM 5.1 / LPCM 2.0)
BB King: Live (DTS-HDMA 5.1 / 2.0 LPCM)
BB King: Live At Montreux 1993 (DTS HDMA 5.1 / DD 5.1 / LPCM 2.0)
Carlos Santana Blues At Montreux 2004 (DTS HDMA 5.1 / DD 5.1 / LPCM 2.0)
Chicago and Earth, Wind & Fire: Live At The Greek Theatre (DTS-HDMA 5.1, DD 5.1, PCM 2.0)
Chris Botti: Live with Orchestra & Special Guests (PCM 5.1, DD 5.1, DD 2.0)
Daryl Hall & John Oates: Live At The Troubadour Dolby TrueHD 5.1, DD 2.0
Dave Mattews and Tim Reynolds: Live At Radio City (Dolby True HD 5.1, DD 5.1, PCM 2.0)
David Gilmour: Remember That Night - Live At The Royal Albert Hall (Dolby True HD 5.1, DD 5.1, PCM 2.0)
Destiny's Child: Live In Atlanta (DD 5.1, PCM 5,1, PCM 2.0)
Diana Krall: Live In Rio (DTS-HD MA 5.1, DD 5.1, LPCM 2.0)
Earth, Wind & Fire Live at Montreux 1997 (DTS HDMA 5.1 / DD 5.1 / LPCM 2.0)
Elton John: 60 - Live At Madison Square Garden (PCM 5.1, PCM 2.0)
Elvis Costello and The Imposters: Live In Memphis (DD 5.1, DTS 5.1, PCM 2.0)
Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood: Live From Madison Square Garden (DTS 5.1, PCM 2.0)
Heart: Alive In Seattle (DTS-HD MA 5.0, DD 5.0, PCM 2.0)
Herbert von Karajan Memorial Concert (PCM 5.1 / PCM 2.0)
Hit Man: David Foster & Friends DTS-HD MA 5.1, PCM Stereo
Jeff Beck Performing this week...Live At Ronnie Scott's (DTS HDMA 5.1 / DD 5.1 / LPCM 2.0)
Jewel: The Essential Live Songbook (DTS-HD MA 5.1, DD 5.1, PCM 2.0)
John Legend: Live At The House Of Blues (DD 5.1, PCM 5.1, PCM 2.0)
John Mayall 70th Birthday Concert (DTS HDMA 5.1 / DD 5.1 / LPCM 2.0
John Mayer: Where The Light Is - Live In Los Angeles (Dolby TrueHD 5.1, PCM 2.0)
Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains The Same (Dolby TrueHD 5.1, DD 5.1, DD 2.0)
Legends: Live At Montreaux 1997 (DTS-HD MA 5.1, DD 5.1, LPCM)
Legends Of Jazz: Showcase - With Ramsey Lewis (Dolby TRue HD 5.1, DD 5.1, PCM 2.0)
Mozart Die Zauberflote (PCM 5.1 / PCM 2.0)
Queen: Rock Montreal & Live Aid (DTS-HD MA 5.1, PCM 2.0)
Quincy Jones: The 75th Birthday Celebration DTS-HD MA 5,1, DD 5.1, LPCM 2.0
Roy Orbison: Black & White Night (DTS-HD MA 5.1, DD 5.1, LPCM 2.0)
Rush: Snakes & Arrows DTS-HD MA 5.1 , PCM 2.0
Stevie Wonder: Live At Last. A Wonder Summer's Night (DTS-HD MA 5.1, DD 5.1, PCM 2.0)
The Black Crowes: Freak 'n' Roll...Into The Fog DTS 5.1, DD 5.1, LPCM 2.0
The Blu-ray Experience: Opera & Ballet Dolby True HD 5.1, DTS-HD MA 5.1, PCM 2.0
The Cure: Trilogy (DTS HD MA 5.1, DD 5.1, PCM 2.0)
The Last Waltz: A Martin Scorsese Film (DD 5.1, PCM 5.1)
The Moody Blues: Lovely To See You LIVE (DTS-HD MA 5.1, DD 5.1, PCM 2.0)
The New Orleans Concert: The Music Of America's Soul (DD 5.1, DD 2.0)
The Police: Certifiable - Live In Buenos Aires (Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Dolby TrueHD 2.0)
Tony Bennett: An American Classic (DD 5.1, PCM 5.1, PCM 2.0)
Toto Falling In Between Live (DTS HDMA 5.1 / DD 5.1 / LPCM 2.0)
ZZ Top: Live From Texas (DTS-HD MA 5.1, DD 5.1, PCM 2.0)

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
If only David Gilmour and Roger Waters were to kiss and make up , IMO a revival tour would outgross even the Rolling Stones. One can only dream and wonder "what if"

I would definitely attend that concert!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
John Mayer: Where The Light Is - Live In Los Angeles (Dolby TrueHD 5.1, PCM 2.0)
This has become standard demo material at shows now. Wisdom was using it at CEDIA and at our recent event with Harman, they used it to show off the JBL synthesis gear. The guitar solo plays quite nice.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Time to wake up this thread! DING, DING, DING!

If you can still get your hands on it (it's OOP though) get yourself a copy of Legends of Jazz with Ramsey Lewis: Showcase.

Legends of Jazz..jpg

The PQ/AQ is most definitely 5/5...and the performances are all 5/5 as well. Phenomenal disc and probably my fave BD Concert title.

John

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Though not everyone's cup of tea, and they have possibly better DVD performances, I still like Yes Live at Montreux:

Rich

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

tyree91

May 13, 2010
Rocky Mountain Empire
Chris Botti "Live in Boston"
Killers "Live at Royal Albert"
Michael Buble "Caught in the Act"
Celine Dion "A New Day" Live @ Caesers

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Based on a youtube video that Ron posted, I bought this for $11.99.....too good of a deal to pass up.

5129_large..jpg

John

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
John, let me know how this one is. I told Ron the only time I heard Gary Moore was on the "Strat Pack" recording, where he smoked on Red House. I'm also interested to know which album of his is the place to start collecting.

Lee

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John, let me know how this one is. I told Ron the only time I heard Gary Moore was on the "Strat Pack" recording, where he smoked on Red House. I'm also interested to know which album of his is the place to start collecting.

Lee

Lee, I'll let you know how I feel about this concert, but I'm not all that familiar with Mr. Gary Moore either as I was never a huge Thin Lizzy fan. Maybe Ron could shed some more light on this.

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Classical Fans - Rejoice!

Deep Discount is offering some great deals on Opus Arte titles that I think may be of some interest to several of our members.

Deep Discount - Opus Arte sale

The PROMO code for this is :24159

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
You rang?

IIRC, Phil Lynott was the bass player and lead singer for Thin Lizzy. John, like you I also was never a Thin Lizzy fan.

As a solo artist, Gary Moore mostly plays the blues. I have this DVD, regrettably not Blu-Ray:

As far as which Gary Moore album with which to begin, the answer pretty much is: Yes. Every album he has put out over the last 20 years is just full of great blues. Lee, I'll take care of you.

I remember going over to Grellman's house with Steve and Greg (Morbius). Ken Stevens was there to show off his then brand new ultimate preamp. I played the song Evenin' on this album:

Ken was so impressed with that song and how good it sounded on Grellman's system that I gave Ken the album. He stated he was going to use it in future shows as a demo track.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Nice. Do you have any vinyl recommendations? And.....hi Ron:)

John

PS~ Blu-ray or DVD....I'll be having a look to see if I can get it locally.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing