Best Sounding Concert Blu-Rays

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Blu-ray, with its increased storage capacity and high resolution audio formats holds the promise of delivering top of the line sonics for music reproduction.

There are a number of very good sounding concerts on blu-ray and though I haven't heard them all, I've heard a number of them and in my opinion, the very best sounding ones are;

*Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds at Radio City Music Hall

Absolutely gorgeous high resolution sound. To my ears, the sonics here rival the best recordings you've ever heard. Here's something interesting. Studies reveal that what you hear absolutely impacts what you see. I watched this video several times thinking the video quality was top notch. It wasn't until I watched it with the sound down that I realized that video quality is pretty darn good, but not top of the line. On the other hand, IMO, it is still one of the better looking concert blu-rays, but the sound is what is most important and it is wonderful.

*Talking Heads, Stop Making Sense

The video perfectly reproduces the concert video in HD, but it was always a film that reflected the grungy sensibility intended by the band and film maker. If you've seen it, you know the images are very striking, but this is not "eye candy." But, here again, it is the sound that matters and in my opinion, the sonics here are top of the line.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Oh, I forgot another one. John Mayer -- Where the Light Is. Excellent sounding concert blu-ray. I also like the stylized look of the video, which was shot on 35mm film.

The surprise in this concert video is that Mayer steps out, channels his inner Jimmy Ray Vaughan, and turns out to be a damn good guitar player.

As an aside, here's something Mayer did for Will Farrell's Funny or Die site -- I find it pretty funny -- check it out.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/61...-bell-gerrybednob-ian-roberts-and-cohenobrien

Last edited:

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Another very good disc is the Jeff Beck: Live at Ronnie Scott's concert. Eric Clapton joins Beck for a couple of tunes, and Robert Plant and Jimmy Page are in the audience.

Lee

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I haven't heard that one, but I trust your ears and I'm a fan of those guys. Incidentally, you've jogged my memory again. Another great music blu-ray is "It Might Get Loud." This one has The Edge from U2, Jack White from White Stripes and Jimmy Page. It's not a concert per se because much of it takes place in a studio, but that also has its benefits. The revelation here, for me, is Jack White.

The White Stripes has not been big on my radar. The name of the band sounds like it might be one of the bands like Slayer or something.

I still don't know a whole bunch about White Stripes, but Jack White was one interesting cat and sho' can play.

Video quality is very good, too.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Return to Forever: Live at Montreux is also very good. Both the multichannel and 2 channel mixes have great sound. The acoustic bass solo by Stanley Clarke is worth the price of the disc alone.

Lee

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Andrea Bocelli: Live in Tuscany is pretty good if you are a fan of that style of "crooning". Lukewarm myself, but good sound. PCM multichannel and stereo tracks.

Within Temptation: Black Symphony is a goth/rock style live performance by the Dutch supergroup. The opening, with accompaniment from a full symphony and chanting chorus, is a special treat and the highlight of the disc for me. 5.1 multichannel soundtrack is very good.

Both of these discs are a little off the beaten path. The Within Temptation disc is becoming hard to find already.

A few classical mini-reviews coming next.

Lee

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Just ordered Jeff Beck: Live at Ronnie Scott's -- looking forward to it.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Just ordered Jeff Beck: Live at Ronnie Scott's -- looking forward to it.

I've got this one but still in the celophane. Now am anxious to see it.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Return to Forever: Live at Montreux is also very good. Both the multichannel and 2 channel mixes have great sound. The acoustic bass solo by Stanley Clarke is worth the price of the disc alone.

Lee

Absolutely concur with this recommendation. I saw RTF in Boston back in 1983 or 1984 and again 2 years ago in S.F. That band is amazing. There is so much talent that it is almost unfair.

Two other favorite concert Blu Rays: David Gilmour in Gdansk (with Crosby and Nash doing background harmonies) and k.d.lang Live In London with the BBC Concert Orchestra (what a voice).

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Ron,

I've seen Dimeola twice and it's been incredible. I can't begin to guess how many times I've listened to Romantic Warrior.

I wasn't aware that Gilmour in Gdansk is available on Blu-Ray. It's on CD and DVD, but I didn't see any Blu-Ray version... The Gilmour Live at Royal Albert Hall is pretty good on Blu-Ray. Crosby and Nash also sing backup vocals on that one.

Last edited:

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Legends of Jazz

This Blu-Ray is a compilation disc of performances by various jazz artists. Al Jarreau, Marcus Miller, Lee Ritenour, Chick Corea, David Sanborn, etc. all perform songs in Dolby TrueHD. Great sound, and great music. A personal favorite, playing a cut similar to one on my Chesky desert island disc, is Clark Terry doing Mumbles with his unique version of scat/talk. The disc, however, is becoming harder to find.

http://www.amazon.com/LEGENDS-OF-JA...ef=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1272681578&sr=1-3

Lee

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Ron,

I've seen Dimeola twice and it's been incredible. I can't begin to guess how many times I've listened to Romantic Warrior.

I wasn't aware that Gilmour in Gdansk is available on Blu-Ray. It's on CD and DVD, but I didn't see any Blu-Ray version... The Gilmour Live at Royal Albert Hall is pretty good on Blu-Ray. Crosby and Nash also sing backup vocals on that one.

My bad. I was thinking of the double live CD when I posted. It is Gilmour at the Royal Albert Hall. It doesn't get any better than having Crosby and Nash doing background harmonies. I've never been to England, but it is one of my dreams to see a show at the Royal Albert Hall.

I've seen DiMeola probably a half dozen times. Always mind blowing. I saw DiMeola and John McGlaughlin together in a little dinner club in Oakland in the early 1990s - sat about 10 feet from DiMeola, and even at that short of a distance his fingers still were a blur.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I saw Pink Floyd back on the release tour for Dark Side of the Moon and they had a discrete surround system for the concert. It's a bit of a shame that Gilmour didn't take advantage of Blu-Ray's soundtrack capability by using some surround effects that would have duplicated the originals.... Still, the sound is very good, and Echoes was really fun.

Lee

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
The good: I saw both Return to Forever and Pink Floyd within the same year.
The bad: The same year was 36 years ago.

The good: I've got original vinyl LPs by both groups.
The bad: I haven't bought a Blue-Ray player yet.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Romeo and Juliet Ballet

The Prokofiev ballet Romeo and Juliet has seen countless recordings on LP and CD, and more than a few on DVD and Blu-Ray. This Decca release has a great performance and Acosta is genuinely athletic in the role.

The sound is very good, with DTS-MA 5.1 supplying the surround experience. I find this to be one of the best ballet soundtrack recordings on video that I've heard. The clarity of the orchestra, combined with the realistic sound of the dancers' footfalls, produce a nearly "you are there" illusion for me. The fact that I have loved this ballet music for 30 years doesn't hurt either!

If you are interested in sampling some classic ballet on Blu-Ray, I'd recommend this disc as a good example:

http://www.amazon.com/Romeo-Juliet-...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1272854902&sr=1-1

Lee

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Ron,

Correct! David Gilmour: Live in Gdansk is available on CD, DVD and LP, but NOT BD. I have the David Gilmour: Remember That Night..Live from the Royal Albert Hall on BD and also the 5LP Live in Gdansk boxset.

John

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing