Audiophile Fuses

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Have you considered trying a QSA fuse?
I am very satisfied with mine and I have not heard of them blowing unlike the SRs.
No but I see they at least deliver as rated and are getting great reviews--kudos to them

I use Audio Magic Ultimate Premiers-they also are rock solid and I highly recommend.

BruceD

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I ordered a couple AMR gold for my Dartzeel. I didn't want to spring for QSA.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Have you considered trying a QSA fuse?
I am very satisfied with mine and I have not heard of them blowing unlike the SRs.
My QSA blew. The .5 Blue.

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
Indeed every SR fuse I've spent my heard earned on has failed with turn on--

Reinstalling the correct to factory spec same rated stock fuse causing no problem with reinstallation into the units.

I'd avoid SR fuses frankly:mad:-money down the drain.

BruceD
Four friends of mine also use audiophile fuses for improved sound as I do. Two use SR fuses and the others use various $30 to $50 fuses. One friend who manufactures audio cables for a living also makes his own audio gear. Instead of using an expensive audio fuse (we have the same amps), he installed a 5 amp circuit breaker. Most equipment cannot accommodate a circuit breaker in place of a fuse. He achieves very similar sound as my SR blue fuses. Otherwise, he has no tweaks in his system, just high quality gear. When he heard my blue fuses in his amps, he was dumbfounded and became a believer that standard cheap fuses may work but diminish sound quality. I still have as back up extras 3 black and 1 blue SR fuse. I don't consider them wasted money. They work. I had to replace a black fuse about 6 years ago when an amp blew.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
No worries-- glad you find the SR's beneficial --they crapped out in my system :mad: Caveat Emptor!
BruceD

Hilroy48

Sep 15, 2021
Regina Sk Canada
I have had 9 SR fuses in 2 of my systems in all my components. I recently sold my Sugden SPA-4 and remembered to remove the fuse before it left, lol. I have now placed an order for 2 Sugden MPA-4 mono blocks. I also ordered another 10 amp SR orange fuse for the second amp now.

JAB

Jul 22, 2015
Lampizator owners
Got a reply from Fred regarding amperage ratings to replace stock 1.6 amp slow blow fuse:
“ over 1 less than 3.15 amps”
Trying a 2.5 small slow blow SR Purple fuse
Thanks to all that replied
Joel

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Lampizator owners
Got a reply from Fred regarding amperage ratings to replace stock 1.6 amp slow blow fuse:
“ over 1 less than 3.15 amps”
Trying a 2.5 small slow blow SR Purple fuse
Thanks to all that replied
Joel
I will be interested to hear if you realize any sound improvements. I had a SR orange in my Pacific an now I have QSA yellow.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Indeed every SR fuse I've spent my heard earned on has failed with turn on--

Reinstalling the correct to factory spec same rated stock fuse causing no problem with reinstallation into the units.

I'd avoid SR fuses frankly:mad:-money down the drain.

BruceD
Ok, so you are not recommending the SR fuses. What else, apart from the Audio Magic Ultimate Premiers would you recommend?

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
Myself and a Naim friend have tried SR fuses in our Naim electronics. Not with a good result. They blow. Similar experience as some other people with other electronics have experienced. I have SR in my Farad Super3s and there they work really well.

Personally I will not try fuses others than what the manufacturer specify. For me it would be an insurance problem if something goes wrong independently if the fuse is the cause or not. My equipment is insured to new value. Not replacement value considering its age.

Instead of SR we tried HiFi Tuning fuses. A German company. They have something they call extra slow blow fuses in copper for 50 Euro each which they say works with Naim and similar types of “demanding” power supplies.

What I can say is that these HiFi Tuning for just 50 Euro compared to the original fuse gave a great improvement. The sound became more airy, more detailed and less hard in a positive way. My friend who also changed to HiFi Tuning conclusion was identical to mine. I needed 3 and it is the cheapest improvement I have ever done.

Anyone knows if a slow blow QSA would work with Naim?

Gunnar

Reactions: Re-tread

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Myself and a Naim friend have tried SR fuses in our Naim electronics. Not with a good result. They blow. Similar experience as some other people with other electronics have experienced. I have SR in my Farad Super3s and there they work really well

Gunnar
Agree I stated in my above posts on this--the SR fuses all self destroyed in my Naim PSU on turn on--forget them save your Bucks.

Interesting I did not know of Bernd's "extra" Hi Fi Tuning T fuses for increased loads--Yes I agree if they are over rated to achieve this---one would need to factor in an Insurance controversy :mad: .

No experience on the QSA's--indeed would be interested to hear any reports though.

All I can add is the AM Ultimate Premiers with Naim PSU Factory correct rating work superbly as stated and I'm a happy camper.;)

BruceD

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Myself and a Naim friend have tried SR fuses in our Naim electronics. Not with a good result. They blow. Similar experience as some other people with other electronics have experienced. I have SR in my Farad Super3s and there they work really well.

Personally I will not try fuses others than what the manufacturer specify. For me it would be an insurance problem if something goes wrong independently if the fuse is the cause or not. My equipment is insured to new value. Not replacement value considering its age.

Instead of SR we tried HiFi Tuning fuses. A German company. They have something they call extra slow blow fuses in copper for 50 Euro each which they say works with Naim and similar types of “demanding” power supplies.

What I can say is that these HiFi Tuning for just 50 Euro compared to the original fuse gave a great improvement. The sound became more airy, more detailed and less hard in a positive way. My friend who also changed to HiFi Tuning conclusion was identical to mine. I needed 3 and it is the cheapest improvement I have ever done.

Gunnar
Do you mean extended warranty or did you purchase extra insurance on top of what is offered by the manufacturer? How many years are your products insured for?

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
Do you mean extended warranty or did you purchase extra insurance on top of what is offered by the manufacturer? How many years are your products insured for?
No, nothing to do with the manufacturer. It’s an add on on our house insurance. No age reduction and no limit in time. For sure normal maintenance stuff is not included but for example lightning and theft yes.

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
Agree I stated in my above posts on this--the SR fuses all self destroyed in my Naim PSU on turn on--forget them save your Bucks.

Interesting I did not know of Bernd's "extra" Hi Fi Tuning T fuses for increased loads--Yes I agree if they are over rated to achieve this---one would need to factor in an Insurance controversy :mad: .

No experience on the QSA's--indeed would be interested to hear any reports though.

All I can add is the AM Ultimate Premiers with Naim PSU Factory correct rating work superbly as stated and I'm a happy camper.;)

BruceD
My fuses are what Naim recommend 3.15 amp. So Ok

The AM Ultimate Premiers look really interesting. But could not find 5*20 mm 3.15. Can you provide a link?

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013

The AM Ultimate Premiers look really interesting. But could not find 5*20 mm 3.15. Can you provide a link?
Yes my order 3.15T's are as pictured with correct specs on Box below-for the Naim PSU.
Good Luck
BruceD
IMG_2086.jpg

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013

Since Jerry has added a new version, Masterpiece Series M1, at least one of his vendors, Highend Electronics, is no longer stocking the Ultimate Premier, although you may still be able to order through them (Alred Kainz). Kitsune HiFi is another, as is Jaguar Audio, both still listing all but the new one. The thing is that in most cases they serve as a $$ intermediary and the fuses are drop-shipped from AM. So you might as well contact Jerry directly. Rest assured, though, that 3.15A small, slow-blow is a standard size.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Any particular ones that worked well in your system?
I have had every single SR fuse except purple. I bought the QSA yellow for my Pacific and Mono Amps. I thought yellow was better than orange. I might try the purple but to be honest, I am getting tired of chasing this fuse game.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing