Audiophile Fuses

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
Yeah , but if something in your amp snaps as well , their aint no manufacturer who s gonna repair it as far as guarantee is concerned
Risky business all this fiddling afaik
Both Kevin Hayes at VAC and Ken Stevens at CAT encouraged me to experiment with different fuses, tubes .... pretty sure they'll repair if something fails.

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
I have installed a Synergistic Research Orange fuse in my EAR 890. The first hour was bad, with no bass and thin sound. After 3 hours, the bass was back but the sound improved about 50%. In the 7th hour, the magic occurred. I sat down to listen for 2 hours. The dynamic range improved, the frequency extremes were clearer, the mids were better focused but similar in tonal balance. The soundstage grew somewhat. Overall, worth the $170 investment. Comparable to upgraded NOS tubes (although stock the unit is excellent). I thought I heard some dryness in the mids during between the 11th and 13th hours. After 20 hours, the sound settled in and I am very pleased with the results. I have read the prior blue fuse results by another poster on this thread who was not thrilled with his results. I conclusively find that the orange fuse in the EAR 890 is an important improvement. (I also have my EAR placed on SR Mig footers on a 1" thick granite slab on the floor which has 12" thick pour of 3000 lb. psi steel reinforced slab, 3 SR ECTs-one per transformer and a GTC above the fuse).

Reactions: Chop and nirodha

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
I have read the prior blue fuse results by another poster on this thread who was not thrilled with his results. I conclusively find that the orange fuse in the EAR 890 is an important improvement.
I heard same problems with SR Orange fuse, as described by bazelio, in my CAT JL7 SE and prefer the stock ceramic fuse.

While chatting with Ken Stevens, his reference is no fuse. His reason choosing a ceramic fuse is it holds the wire tight preventing vibration that can cause distortion.

In ARC and VAC, had glass stock fuses, I prefer SR. In hindsight, should also experiment with a ceramic fuse. ARC and VAC are long gone so next time.

I had an EAR 890 many moons ago and a great amp. As I remembered it had a stock glass fuse. Would be interesting to see how a ceramic fuse compares to SR. Only couple dollars so inexpensive experiment. Use a reputable brand such as Littelfuse.

apmusson

Jul 30, 2018
I'm new to audiophile fuses but today have added an SR Orange to the power cable supplying my Stax Energiser.

I never imagined that a new fuse could change (improve) the focus and dimensionality of the music to such an extent. Count me surprised and amazed. I'll leave it plugged in for a couple of weeks to see how it settles..

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
I'm new to audiophile fuses but today have added an SR Orange to the power cable supplying my Stax Energiser.

I never imagined that a new fuse could change (improve) the focus and dimensionality of the music to such an extent. Count me surprised and amazed. I'll leave it plugged in for a couple of weeks to see how it settles..
It won't settle.. it will keep improving. I am waaaay too NOT technical why this thing works but I love it. Do not know if you can commit overkill by putting it in all your stuff. I am not going to find out: just one in my power amp is enough.

Felipe Rolim

May 23, 2017
Brazil
The AMR Gold fuse is really good, considering the price of 14 pounds I paid. Anyone who wants to upgrade the original fuse without spending a lot of money, buy this one. There's nothing extreme, but the sound is beautiful and better than the Bussmann NOS that I had been using on the Audio Research VS115 amplifier. I have two Synergistic Research Orange fuse, one in Ayre QB-9 and another in Schiit Freya preamplifier. I had Furutech, Hi-Fi Tuning, Sax Soul, Bussmann, now I have Synergistic Research, but never heard about AMR Gold fuse and even the brand yet.

When making a larger purchase at Hi Fi Collective, I decided to add any cheap trinket to the cart to try it out, and I found this AMR Gold fuse. After having listened to it for several hours and as I have a very good impression, I did a quick search on the internet. Nobody says that it is superlative or tries make it seems better than really is, but all the comments I read go in the sense that it is worth what it costs and that the beauty of the sound is its highlight. Whoever makes these comments is really right.

I really like it when I buy cheap things that seem to have a good effect on the overall result of the system. Sometimes investments are big for a marginal gain, sometimes not. After a certain level, proportionality between investment and return is rare, but eventually there is scope for this. The AMR Gold fuse is one such case. For something of £ 14 the gain is very interesting. Has it transformed the system? No. But, it is worth what it costs and a little more. Makes you want to buy several backup units.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
While I'm not a big fan of that phrase "playing above its level" (or price point), nonetheless it's fun and often very helpful, especially in audio, to find something that for little money offers a nice return. Have you had a chance to compare the AMR Gold to the Orange, that is, what's similar and different between the effects of the two?

Felipe Rolim

May 23, 2017
Brazil
Everyone wants to get the best possible with the least amount invested. This is logical, this is smart. But, when it comes to audio, it's rarely possible to buy something that, in a specific price range, effectively stands out from the competition. The market is already well leveled in this regard and, with exceptions, prices are proportional on the vast majority of audio brands. So, what I sincerely believe exists is the best possible result for a given level of investment and for a person's ears. Can I say that, for my investment level, there is nothing better? Certainly. But, it is only my truth. So, I think you are absolutely correct.

Regarding comparisons, unfortunately I was unable to do so. The fuses of the DAC and of the pre are small, in the DAC I believe that of 500mA or 325mA slow and in the pre I think is 2A fast. In the Audio Reserach, the fuse is large and 6.3A. So, for now, I couldn't make comparisons, but it would be really interesting, since an SR fuse buys almost 10 AMR. Anyway, the AMR Gold is far superior to the Bussmann NOS that I used before.

Curiously, I don't know if by coincidence, luck or for any specific reason, I always liked more gold components in the amplification stage (receptacles, fuses, power connectors, inlets, etc.), and more silver, rhodium and palladium in the digital transport and DAC stage. It seems that it also applies for the fuses. Let's see what kind of result changing the fuse to a more expensive model will bring to the amplifier in the future.

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
This may be the dumb question after this level of discussion. After going through different posts, I decided to give orange fuse a try. Basic question: how to install them in my amp, preamp and dac. Could not find guide on how to install them. Everybody talks about having tried: I am assuming this should be easy install.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Frm memory, the fuse holder is below the plug. Unplug and with a small slotted screwdriver pop it open. Carefully remove the fuse by hand, then insert the Orange carefully, with the lettering left to right, looking from the back. Close and replug. New fuses take about 250 hrs to burn in. If the sound appears cramped, not open, then reverse the direction of the fuse — or you can do that anyway just to check. SR fuses are directional in the direction of the words, but occasionally someone messes up and puts the label on backwards. I had one like that. The reason left to right is that’s the usual direction of current flow on these type of holders (I ask if in question).

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
Frm memory, the fuse holder is below the plug. Unplug and with a small slotted screwdriver pop it open. Carefully remove the fuse by hand, then insert the Orange carefully, with the lettering left to right, looking from the back. Close and replug. New fuses take about 250 hrs to burn in. If the sound appears cramped, not open, then reverse the direction of the fuse — or you can do that anyway just to check. SR fuses are directional in the direction of the words, but occasionally someone messes up and puts the label on backwards. I had one like that. The reason left to right is that’s the usual direction of current flow on these type of holders (I ask if in question).
Thanks for that. You mean, just remove (unscrew) the plug right ?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Thanks for that. You mean, just remove (unscrew) the plug right ?
sorry, I was thinking typical horizontal fuse holder type. With a push in... Push and turn, probably counterclockwise, to take the holder out. Easy to pull the fuse out or it drops out (be careful there). Insert new fuse, with lettering back to front. Reinsert holder until you hit resistance, then push gently and turn probably clockwise to close.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
SR is having a 3 for 2 Orange fuse sale through July (buy two get one free). Anyone in the States need a fuse and want to go in with me? I need a couple of 12.5A slow blows. If interested, send PM.

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
has anyone actually tried the quantum science fuses to report on the forum - silly money but hey so was a cable when i first entered the hobby :) anyone compared them to an audiomagic ultimate premier fuse???

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
deleted SR quantum orange fuse reply

Last edited:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
It better be something at $2844, over 10x the cost of the AM and 22x the SR, plus shipping.

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
If we think that's eye watering... The Gold fuse is usd 10k, maybe pweg can tell us about those too always happy to explore and learn

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
The AMR Gold fuse is really good, considering the price of 14 pounds I paid. Anyone who wants to upgrade the original fuse without spending a lot of money, buy this one. There's nothing extreme, but the sound is beautiful and better than the Bussmann NOS that I had been using on the Audio Research VS115 amplifier. I have two Synergistic Research Orange fuse, one in Ayre QB-9 and another in Schiit Freya preamplifier. I had Furutech, Hi-Fi Tuning, Sax Soul, Bussmann, now I have Synergistic Research, but never heard about AMR Gold fuse and even the brand yet.

When making a larger purchase at Hi Fi Collective, I decided to add any cheap trinket to the cart to try it out, and I found this AMR Gold fuse. After having listened to it for several hours and as I have a very good impression, I did a quick search on the internet. Nobody says that it is superlative or tries make it seems better than really is, but all the comments I read go in the sense that it is worth what it costs and that the beauty of the sound is its highlight. Whoever makes these comments is really right.

I really like it when I buy cheap things that seem to have a good effect on the overall result of the system. Sometimes investments are big for a marginal gain, sometimes not. After a certain level, proportionality between investment and return is rare, but eventually there is scope for this. The AMR Gold fuse is one such case. For something of £ 14 the gain is very interesting. Has it transformed the system? No. But, it is worth what it costs and a little more. Makes you want to buy several backup units.
+1 Well said.
I agree on your assessment and reported on the excellent AMR Gold fuses a few years ago. Spending considerably more seems unreasonable to me yet audiophiles continue to pay big bucks for fairy dust or anything else that promises audio nirvana. But alas, who am I to discourage such enthusiasm even if the expense is misguided IMHO?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing