Audiophile Fuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Btw, Paul can apologise about what he likes, there are other measures of humble.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Take a hint

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I never take a hint when I'm told to take a hint.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Well, Paul is an audio engineer and he said that those German made audiophile fuses do sound much better. He doesn't know why but he can hear it.

So, if I buy a $300,000 preamplifier and a pair of $500,000 mono tube amplifiers I want German fuses inside. If I have to add them myself on top of that $800,000 no sweat; that's why audiophiles exist...to improve sound that wasn't taken care of in the first place.
If all audio equipment was perfect sounding life would be real boring for audiophiles and audio equipment designers.

Marc, how much are those fuses again?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
£100 each, although I picked this one up dirt cheap. Hey, I'm in for 20, I need some slack cut LOL.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Marc, this is all good sailing on my boat; it rocks my world of rainbows.
Fuses are valid as music genres and film styles.
We share for the love of life. ...Everything in it, even the unknown to some.

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
There is no wire directivity, plain and simple.
Oh yeah? Perhaps you also think direction of conductors in a cable doesn't matter?

Reactions: johndoe21ro

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The fuses I use don't have directional arrows. Should I use some with arrows markings?
My experience is that the arrow markings may not indicate the preferred sonic effect direction.
Have to listen to both directions to identify the better one.

Reactions: marty

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
My ears tell me that the better audiophile fuses seem to also better address resonances. There's potentially more going on - and that might explain the directionality some have observed.

Every fuse upgrade I've done has far exceeded expectations in terms of bang for the buck. The explanations I've read fall way short of explaining this. But, I guess I'm not arrogant enough to believe everything that's going on here can be easily explained.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I have been able to achieve a very low noisefloor and as a consequence great transparency in my Tidal LA / Kondo / Tripoint set up. In such a set up you don’t need ‘golden ears’ to hear that (i) different fuses and (ii) directionality of fuses make a difference. Btw, that is not only me but also my audio friends that visit me on a regular basis. I don’ t give a damn whether these differences can be explained technically (or not).

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I am also waiting for someone to also claim that other LRC components, beyond plain wire - like resistors - are also directional. That'll be the laugh of the century.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ack, pwr cords deffo are directional. On one I tried to put the plug end into my cdp, and the results were terrible, just silence. Can you explain why?

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
In all honesty, Ack, I find your apodictic opinions ... rather apodictic and in a way hilarious. Anyway, believe in your (audio) truth, I wil believe in mine after many a/b comparisons with all kind of fuses in a high quality audio set up.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Ack, pwr cords deffo are directional. On one I tried to put the plug end into my cdp, and the results were terrible, just silence. Can you explain why?

You cannot plug the male's end of a power cord into your CDP.
All power cords are directional automatically.

Good one Marc; Happy Canada Day! :cool::D

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Because it doesn't fit the other way. Different types of connectors at each end, because of different interfaces. Are you really serious??!? 'Cause I am still laughing...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Ack, Marc has a good humorous spirit. :) ...One of the best attributes in the world we live in today.

I have zero problem with the audiophile gentlemen having an improvement of sound quality with fuse's replacement and direction's change...less than zero. I fully trust their ears and judgement.
They have zero horse in this race, less than zero.

Happy Canada Day!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Ack, Marc has a good humorous spirit. :) ...One of the best attributes in the world we live in today.

Some humor. Still waiting for someone to come out and claim that resistors are also directional, and cite "fuses" as a basis for such a claim, or power cords that don't fit the other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing