Audiophile Fuses

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Thanks guys, will look into going from blacks to blues.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I read this entire thread dating back years and I didn't come across anyone who took out their stock fuse and appropriately cleaned it with alcohol and a small gentle wire brush to remove any oxidation and then compare to X new audiophile fuse. I'm not saying fuses don't matter, IME they do, but to get a more apples to apples comparison one should ensure their old crusty fuses' contact are as close to new as possible..

Just about annually I clean metal contacts on my components. This includes pulling out the fuse and cleaning the holder and fuse. After putting things back in place I’ve heard subtle improvements, but nowhere close to the magnitude of improvements I’ve heard from upgrading to a better fuse..

I see your point though about not cleaning the former fuse first just to arrive at closer to apples-to-apples, but had that ever impressed me as worthwhile I would have done so,

Reactions: johndoe21ro

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
VH Audio are running another 3 for the price of 2 offer on SR fuses. Not sure if this means the SR Blue is about to be superseded........

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, despite being a convert to audiophile fuses, viz. SR Blacks, I remained skeptical on directivity.

So, I recently had to replace my cdp fuse 2 wks ago. Popped it in, thought no more about it. But something not quite right. SQ a little heavy and ponderous. Certainly not as nimble and rhythmic as before.

Today it occurred to me, maybe this directivity $hit could be true. So, popped cdp chassis open, reversed the fuse, and pwrd up...

Well, I'm a total convert to the concept. Immed apparent the cdp is vastly better. Faster, yet as warm as before. Musical threads opened up. A layer of grey removed.

Crazy. But true. Fuse direction matters. Certainly w the SR Blacks. Big time.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
LOL

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ack, just crazy good. Now I'm wondering if I should A/B directivity of my other...18 fuses.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Ack, just crazy good. Now I'm wondering if I should A/B directivity of my other...18 fuses.

I don't think I am the only one laughing at this. There is lack of basic understanding of electronics here.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Blue58 and the interminable Beeswax v SR Blue saga.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I don't think I am the only one laughing at this. There is a basic lack of understanding of electronics here.
What, that I would A/B fuses? That I have 19 fuses? That I would A/B 18 other fuses?

I would laugh, but I'm currently being fitted for a straitjacket.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
What, that I would A/B fuses? That I have 19 fuses? That I would A/B 18 other fuses?

I would laugh, but I'm currently being fitted for a straitjacket.

You said: "Today it occurred to me, maybe this directivity $hit could be true." - this is where there is total lack of understanding of electronics, and very basic knowledge at that.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So directivity is likely? Or not possible?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
So directivity is likely? Or not possible?

You are flipping a 5mm or so piece of wire - with some beeswax or other - around, and you expect it to sound different?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ack, I didn't. And that's part of the point I'm making.

I can see a laws of physics/objective v subjective brouhaha on this one.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The point you are making is that fuse directionality is REAL and has an audible effect. This is where the total lack of basic electronics comes in, and I see total expectation bias.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, I spent £100 on it, and I damn well expect it to be worth the money, one way (round) or the other (way round).

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Well, I spent £100 on it, and I damn well expect it to be worth the money, one way (round) or the other (way round).

There is no wire directivity, plain and simple.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thank you CK.

5% is mentioned.

Amazing that 5% measurable difference equates to a world of difference in subjective SQ terms.

The hobby continues to confound and suprise.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing