Audiophile Fuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Hi Rudolph,

Yes - I saw that about the Black. I wrote to ask Ted Denney about when that would be available - not heard yet.

I am using a very low 1.25amp slow.

Thanks Bill.

How would you rate the step forward with the Red fuse compared to using SM feet underneath and/or on top of your GG? Are these steps more or less comparable in your view or do eg the SM devices attribute much more to the sound quality?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thanks Bill.

How would you rate the step forward with the Red fuse compared to using SM feet underneath and/or on top of your GG? Are these steps more or less comparable in your view or do eg the SM devices attribute much more to the sound quality?

Hi Rudolph,

They contribute considerably different things - the Mook benefits are particularly welcome to me as I try hard to get a natural sound with faithful timbre and Mooks help more than any other tweak in this specific regard - as such it is a mandatory thing for me. The fuse reduces a layer of grain that I did not notice was there before - could I "live" without this? Yes sure but I would rather have the fuse. Could I "live" without Mooks in my system? Well I would be *very* reticent to give them up!

I am in my infancy with fuses at this juncture - I just put Reds in my power cords feeding my monoblocks and mains conditioner last night and left the system on. Will be interesting to see what happens now. I would be intrigued to replace all the fuses in the entire chain with Reds and see what happens.

I also have an AMR Gold fuse to play with too.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have had a furutech fuse under my previous ARC Ref 110 power amp, and a SR Red 1.6a in my Lampi. I could easily leave without those, though they make a benefit. It is also tough to AB fuses to know exactly if all things are positive. Harlequin for example said Audio Horizons is more organic than SR Red. Now there is SR Black. Another guy who loves Mooks and loved the Audio Horizon told me he prefers the SR Red to the AH now.

The AMR is probably the highest VFM fuse. It is so cheap.

Mook resonators underneath provide something I find that other tweaks, or components, don't provide, including cables. I also like the SMT wings I have demoed, two of them at the side of the speakers, 2 - 3 behind, 1 each on the floor in front of the speaker, and possibly 3 - 4 behind the listener. They are good for focus and soundstage and spaciousness. Just had a session demo with Flyer and Jazzhead though, and briefly with Elberoth

That said it would be interesting to see what a whole fuse loom upgrade brings to the table, instead of one by one, and that will be a cheap upgrade.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Loom is associated with cables, what about , 'fuse grid' or 'fuse network' or 'fuse fusion'?
Keith.

Thanks, you do have a wider vocabulary than your rinse and repeat posts suggest

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Not sure whether I mentioned but there is a new Black Fuse out by Synergistic Research. Will acquire a couple at some point.

Lissnr

May 31, 2012
Native New Yorker
SR Reds / Blacks

I swapped out my SR Reds for the new SR Blacks... They're breaking in. Unfortunately Jonas is knocking on my audio door this wknd and hopefully won't also 'break in' ( I'm near the water). So... I don't have time to do anything but sweat bullets for the next 48 hrs. I'll "see" how they sound if I get through unscathed...

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I swapped out my SR Reds for the new SR Blacks... They're breaking in. Unfortunately Jonas is knocking on my audio door this wknd and hopefully won't also 'break in' ( I'm near the water). So... I don't have time to do anything but sweat bullets for the next 48 hrs. I'll "see" how they sound if I get through unscathed...

Great - looking forward to hearing your impression!

Lissnr

May 31, 2012
Native New Yorker
The SR Reds were a great improvement over stock..It was my first time playing with fuses and.it was very impressive. I just tried the SR Blacks however and I was absolutely amazed. If stock fuses are a 1, Reds are a 4, but Blacks are a 10. I can not imagine better. I can hardly imagine a significant upgrade in components that will seriously excel more than the improvement these fuses added to my ( and a friend's ) systems. Open, transparent, wide, deep, punchy and delicate.. Absolutely stunning improvement. I never heard such an incredible improvement for such little $$$. Intense! Try em.. You'll love em. Happy Lissn'n

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
The SR Reds were a great improvement over stock..It was my first time playing with fuses and.it was very impressive. I just tried the SR Blacks however and I was absolutely amazed. If stock fuses are a 1, Reds are a 4, but Blacks are a 10. I can not imagine better. I can hardly imagine a significant upgrade in components that will seriously excel more than the improvement these fuses added to my ( and a friend's ) systems. Open, transparent, wide, deep, punchy and delicate.. Absolutely stunning improvement. I never heard such an incredible improvement for such little $$$. Intense! Try em.. You'll love em. Happy Lissn'n

Thanks for the feedback Lissnr. Where did you try them - in power cords or inside gear?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Lissnr

May 31, 2012
Native New Yorker
I only have 2 readily available components to put them in at the moment. Both are digital: my Lampizator Big 7 Dac and its matching "TranspOrt" which is a liason to an external hard drive. I would loke to try it in my CD player ( used as transport via spdif) also but I'll have to investigate its accessibility/ specifics further. I wish my preamp and monoblocs used fuses but they don't as they are protected by their own built in circuit breakers which double as on/ off switch.
But my friend put the Blacks throughout his system: amps ( Pass 60.5's), a big Richard Gray power conditioner, also his K01X , his laptop feeding the Esoteric and I think he also did his Coincident Linestage (101D's) ... and the improvements I heard in my system were even more evident in his. Truly amazing.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Great that you have experience with the Lampi, Lissnr. I have the GG so very keen to know a bit more detail about how these advanced on the Reds? Thx

Lissnr

May 31, 2012
Native New Yorker
Hi Bill and all: The easiest way to put the differences between the Red and Black was in how much more the Black delivers. It was like the Red was walking up the mountain and you could glimpse around and notice you're making progress but it only went so high. The Black simply transports you to the very top (as in "Beam Me Up Scotty") and you are looking out from the top of the world.

Analogies...hmmm...well, lets put it this way...between my system and my [previously described friends' with the Pass amps] I guess I can say the Blacks bring out the best characteristics inherent in your system's list of particular assets.
His system had incredible dynamics, thunderous bass response (5 x 12" servo powered woofers per channel in a 9' encasement (think the legendary Infinity IRS or the top of the line Alon's statement systems)), he also had super fast transients and crystal clear transparency. And that was before the Blacks.
Once the Blacks were in it simply took each of these attributes... (and I mean they were ALREADY stand-out characteristics) and raised them beyond where you'd ever imagine they could go. He has a very nice sized room at 16' x 27' with 13' ceilings and it can take a LOT of sound (db levels) comfortably...if you could imagine concert hall volumes in your home that can excel in those parameters... this is what the fuses did for his room. 'Over the top' (while we already thought it couldn't go any further).

If I describe what they did to my system it would be the same in as much as complementing the positives, only my system's character is decidedly different than his. No matter...these fuses seem to raise the performance bar regardless of what you've put together.

If I may be so bold I would describe my system with a much different "slant" than my friends. - And what the Blacks have done (even just the 2 of them so far...) is so remarkable. I use the Lampizator Big 7 Dac, as mentioned before...it is my third Lampizator Dac after beginning with the Gen 4 Level 4 which my friend Rob brought over one day a few years ago, (well before him and Fred became Lampi's NA people and the product name was known here yet). Soon after I made the jump to the Big 6 and then finally to my current B7 [which my friend Lukasz, after visiting my listening room while on a trip stateside] kindly tweaked just a bit more for me...
It's an all tube Dac. My Pre and power amps are also all tube, and my speakers are pure ribbons. The system exudes intimacy, texture, and natural spatial cues. Focus, body and dimensionality. Remarkable tangibility. And the Blacks just brought it ALL out, even more...to the very "Nth" degree. It now borders on the 'reach out and touch someone / you are there' hypnotizer... I kid you not...

Like everyone whose reading this we all know our systems' strengths and personalities. The Blacks will bring out their best virtues...seemingly improve facets until now "UNrealized"...and actually make you say to yourself : I didn't know it had it in it?!! Wow.

After all the $$$ T $$$ W $$$ E $$$ A $$$ K $$$ S $$$ you've ever spent on...these fuses will make you "LOL" about how much you're finally getting back in your $$ / performance ratio. Finally.
Bill: I hope I answered your 'curiosity'. Happy Lissn'n.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Hi Bill and all: The easiest way to put the differences between the Red and Black was in how much more the Black delivers. It was like the Red was walking up the mountain and you could glimpse around and notice you're making progress but it only went so high. The Black simply transports you to the very top (as in "Beam Me Up Scotty") and you are looking out from the top of the world.

After all the $$$ T $$$ W $$$ E $$$ A $$$ K $$$ S $$$ you've ever spent on...these fuses will make you "LOL" about how much you're finally getting back in your $$ / performance ratio. Finally.
Bill: I hope I answered your 'curiosity'. Happy Lissn'n.

Hi Lissnr,
Very impressive comments and will be ordering soon. Just one question please and that is the old chestnut of directionality. Did you find a preferred orientation and if so it should be easy to see in the Lampi which side is +ve.
ie. Writing from +ve to -ve or reversed.
Many thanks for your insights.
Blue 58
Ps. Anyone know where the fuse is on Avantgarde Duos, inside sub perhaps?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Tentative enquiries with MCRU only at this stage Bill, a brief Google didn't flag up any availability within the EU however that was a few days ago.

Things crashing over at the wam on the fuse thread somebody started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing