Audiophile Fuses

Lissnr

May 31, 2012
Native New Yorker
I just left a message w my local SR guy to check but I think you're correct w following the letter direction...I had actually called Lampizator to ask him which way the current was entering into the fuse and I placed them accordingly...If I'm told I'm bass ackwards I'll let u know..

skljesus

Jun 18, 2016
with what risk

I've bypassed all my fuses as well - fuses and high end audio is really a contradiction in terms.

read your post with great interest.

i drive my maggie 3.7i with the mola mola amps.
what risk would i be running if i removed all 4 fuses on both speakers.
Any thing I shoud be wary off ??
thanks

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

thanks

I have bypassed all fuses in my electronics, but I feel comfortable about that; not everyone does. There are no fuses in my speakers, though when I owned Maggies, I never bypassed those, simply because I used to blow them quite often, especially the tweeters'. The risk is destroying the ribbon, which can be expensive to replace; so I wouldn't bypass those, unless you know for sure you will never overdrive the speakers, and if you do, be ready for the consequences. I continue to feel, though, that fuses are an extremely weak link in a system - in my electronics, they used to run warm when the system is driven hard.

Reactions: matthias

skljesus

Jun 18, 2016

thanks

i appreciate your speedy reply and advice therein.

i have another question. the word overdrive, can you give me a vague idea about this. are we talking of some real loud volumes, or are there other issues as well.
thanks

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
i appreciate your speedy reply and advice therein.

i have another question. the word overdrive, can you give me a vague idea about this. are we talking of some real loud volumes, or are there other issues as well.
thanks

It's usually high volume but also typically coupled with high distortions - in my case it was both

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have bypassed all fuses in my electronics, but I feel comfortable about that; not everyone does. There are no fuses in my speakers, though when I owned Maggies, I never bypassed those, simply because I used to blow them quite often, especially the tweeters'. The risk is destroying the ribbon, which can be expensive to replace; so I wouldn't bypass those, unless you know for sure you will never overdrive the speakers, and if you do, be ready for the consequences. I continue to feel, though, that fuses are an extremely weak link in a system - in my electronics, they used to run warm when the system is driven hard.

We should separate the effect of fuses depending on the situation are being used. Fuses used in the path of speaker signals are surely a weak link by every parameter - the signal has significant current and large variation, thermal effects due to normal use are significant. However when fuses are used in power supplies we must look elsewhere to explain why they are the weak link - normally we can expect that the power supply rejection of equipment would render them immune to fuse quality. If you scale a fuse considering its wire length and the area of the section of wire it is not very different from a long power cable very close to the equipment! In some sense the first 6 feet of power wire are inside equipment!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
We should separate the effect of fuses depending on the situation are being used. Fuses used in the path of speaker signals are surely a weak link by every parameter - the signal has significant current and large variation, thermal effects due to normal use are significant. However when fuses are used in power supplies we must look elsewhere to explain why they are the weak link - normally we can expect that the power supply rejection of equipment would render them immune to fuse quality. If you scale a fuse considering its wire length and the area of the section of wire it is not very different from a long power cable very close to the equipment! In some sense the first 6 feet of power wire are inside equipment!

Sorry, but I have no idea what you just said

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sorry, but I have no idea what you just said

Sorry , I could have been more clear.

First argument is that a fuse in the path of signal is completely different situation from a fuse in the path of power. The mechanism by which power affects the signal is elaborate and the consequences are subjectively very different.

A fuse wire has short length, but the wire was small cross section area. Resistance scales with length and inverse of area, a short wire of such low area is equivalent to a long wire having the typical cross section of power or speaker wires - 10 ~12 AWG.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Sorry , I could have been more clear.

First argument is that a fuse in the path of signal is completely different situation from a fuse in the path of power. The mechanism by which power affects the signal is elaborate and the consequences are subjectively very different.

A fuse wire has short length, but the wire was small cross section area. Resistance scales with length and inverse of area, a short wire of such low area is equivalent to a long wire having the typical cross section of power or speaker wires - 10 ~12 AWG.

If any of that were the case, then there would be separate speaker vs electronics fuses. No one is making that distinction but you, as far as I know.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
However when fuses are used in power supplies we must look elsewhere to explain why they are the weak link - normally we can expect that the power supply rejection of equipment would render them immune to fuse quality.!
Why they can be is that they are variable resistance, depending on current flow - that is, they are inherently non-linear, which means they are automatically in the position to add non-linear distortion! Of course with careful circuit design the impact can be minimised, made inaudible - but is that always the case? In my mind the best approach is to use independent, monitoring circuits which trip if conditions go dangerous.

amiglick

Nov 4, 2014
Hi.
It is an old topic and I wanted to share some of my findings which I think they are still relevant.
I am a great believer in fuses.
I carefully followed this topic and decided to give a try AH (Audio Horizons) fuses.
I replaced fuses in – PSAudio Directstream DAC, PWT (transport) and my (darTZeel) dual mono power amplifier.
In the past 3 years I moved from HFT Supreme, to SR20, to SR Red and (partially) to SR Black. (Black – in DS and PWT)
Received 4 new AH fuses and replaced 2 Black SR and 2 Red SR, all at the same time.
After 2 listening days and practically before break-in, improvements are dramatic and unexplainable.
In my system and my private taste, these fuses results the best sound I have ever had.
Improved mids/voices, more weight on bottom end, better transparency, more “analog”, increased sound-stage (which was huge already) – all resulted more emotional and involving musical experience.
Just sharing.

Best regards.

Amnon

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Hi.
It is an old topic and I wanted to share some of my findings which I think they are still relevant.
I am a great believer in fuses.
I carefully followed this topic and decided to give a try AH (Audio Horizons) fuses.
I replaced fuses in – PSAudio Directstream DAC, PWT (transport) and my (darTZeel) dual mono power amplifier.
In the past 3 years I moved from HFT Supreme, to SR20, to SR Red and (partially) to SR Black. (Black – in DS and PWT)
Received 4 new AH fuses and replaced 2 Black SR and 2 Red SR, all at the same time.
After 2 listening days and practically before break-in, improvements are dramatic and unexplainable.
In my system and my private taste, these fuses results the best sound I have ever had.
Improved mids/voices, more weight on bottom end, better transparency, more “analog”, increased sound-stage (which was huge already) – all resulted more emotional and involving musical experience.
Just sharing.

Best regards.

Amnon

Thanks for sharing, Ammon. I've experienced results from very little to quite a bit, perhaps similar to what you say above.

With regard to the 2 days for improvements to occur, could it have been roughly 2 full days and 3 hour (53 hours) per my previous post here in this thread?

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?453-Audiophile-Fuses&p=385135&viewfull=1#post385135

amiglick

Nov 4, 2014
Thanks for sharing, Ammon. I've experienced results from very little to quite a bit, perhaps similar to what you say above.

With regard to the 2 days for improvements to occur, could it have been roughly 2 full days and 3 hour (53 hours) per my previous post here in this thread?

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?453-Audiophile-Fuses&p=385135&viewfull=1#post385135

Partially yes. The DAC and the transport are connected at all times so I suppose the break-in is on and they reached the 53 hours.

The power amplifier has about 12 hours of break-in, it will get to 53 hours at the end of this week end.

I will provide an update later this week.

Best regards.

Amnon

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Partially yes. The DAC and the transport are connected at all times so I suppose the break-in is on and they reached the 53 hours.

The power amplifier has about 12 hours of break-in, it will get to 53 hours at the end of this week end.

I will provide an update later this week.

Best regards.

Amnon

Very interesting,
I went myself from HFT Supreme to SR Red then AM Beeswax for the Pre. 2 SR Blacks for Amps one SR Black for the Dac. Never thought to AH. i find the Black very demonstrative and the Beeswax more organic and maybe more subtle and musical. Not as much buzz it seems for AH and Beeswax than SR. Is There an explanation to that ? Maybe the 30 day try and return policy made buy SR ?

amiglick

Nov 4, 2014
Very interesting,
I went myself from HFT Supreme to SR Red then AM Beeswax for the Pre. 2 SR Blacks for Amps one SR Black for the Dac. Never thought to AH. i find the Black very demonstrative and the Beeswax more organic and maybe more subtle and musical. Not as much buzz it seems for AH and Beeswax than SR. Is There an explanation to that ? Maybe the 30 day try and return policy made buy SR ?

Very interesting indeed.
I am in the break-in stage of the new 4 AH fuses. In my system, so far, they have an over-all positive impact. More detail, more bottom-end and more transparency.
Buzz is always surrounding us and one has to make his own evaluation of these posts, reviews, commercial interests, etc.
IMHO, assuming that the opinion has no bias, one of the major factors to compare and evaluate sound changes after changing cables, fuses, tubes, etc.), is the resolving power of your system. Obviously there are many other factors but they are of a second importance. (room conditions, type of music, personal taste, mood and many more)
AH also has 30 days money back guarantee program.

I participated and monitored some interesting posts on fuses on one of my favorite forum. (PS Audio - http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directstream-all-about-it/fuses-in-the-directstream-question/page-5/ )
Worth an inside look.

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Very interesting indeed.
I am in the break-in stage of the new 4 AH fuses. In my system, so far, they have an over-all positive impact. More detail, more bottom-end and more transparency.
Buzz is always surrounding us and one has to make his own evaluation of these posts, reviews, commercial interests, etc.
IMHO, assuming that the opinion has no bias, one of the major factors to compare and evaluate sound changes after changing cables, fuses, tubes, etc.), is the resolving power of your system. Obviously there are many other factors but they are of a second importance. (room conditions, type of music, personal taste, mood and many more)
AH also has 30 days money back guarantee program.

I participated and monitored some interesting posts on fuses on one of my favorite forum. (PS Audio - http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directstream-all-about-it/fuses-in-the-directstream-question/page-5/ )
Worth an inside look.

Amiglick
Thank you for the link. It seems high quality fuses are still rapidly developing their technology. Hope there won't be a new marvel each year....
It seems little is discussed on the AM Beeswax and Audio Horizon instead there are pages and pages on SR.
AM seems to be a more humble factory than S.R ? Who realize lots of videos, interviews, showrooms and maybe also lots of adds that bring reviews.
Also there products work great and that is what is important for us clients. In regards of factories like Audio Horizon or Audio Magic S.R look like battleship. It does not mean there products are always the best, at least for fuses in this case. Time will tell.

amiglick

Nov 4, 2014
Amiglick
Thank you for the link. It seems high quality fuses are still rapidly developing their technology. Hope there won't be a new marvel each year....
It seems little is discussed on the AM Beeswax and Audio Horizon instead there are pages and pages on SR.
AM seems to be a more humble factory than S.R ? Who realize lots of videos, interviews, showrooms and maybe also lots of adds that bring reviews.
Also there products work great and that is what is important for us clients. In regards of factories like Audio Horizon or Audio Magic S.R look like battleship. It does not mean there products are always the best, at least for fuses in this case. Time will tell.

Hello Cuntigh, just an update.
I followed some discussions and recommendations, ordered 2 AM Beeswax SHD fuses and gave them about 20 hours of listening.
I was inpatient to share my findings with you and other forum members.
It is unbelievable how much the fuses are critical in the chain.
The AM replaced 2 AH Platinum Reference fuses in my DAC and transport.
Improvements in each and every aspect !!!
Very expensive but does a real noticeable positive difference, in my system.
Best regards.

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Hello Cuntigh, just an update.
I followed some discussions and recommendations, ordered 2 AM Beeswax SHD fuses and gave them about 20 hours of listening.
I was inpatient to share my findings with you and other forum members.
It is unbelievable how much the fuses are critical in the chain.
The AM replaced 2 AH Platinum Reference fuses in my DAC and transport.
Improvements in each and every aspect !!!
Very expensive but does a real noticeable positive difference, in my system.
Best regards.

Hello Amiglick

I ordered 2 AMSHD. One for my pre for replacing the non SHD Audio Magic and another AM SHD for the TT. I have not installed the one in the pre yet because of other changes to evaluate first (I Also bought 4 High Fidelity MC-05). For the TT I have to wait the rebuilding of my MC Anna.
Not sure it will be worth in the battery PSU of the Raven AC... We will see. Bigger hopes for the pre when I will finish to evaluate the MC-05s. At that time I am on holydays.
Peter at the Cable Co said the SHD are really better than the first Beeswax. Hope to hear from you soon. Hope also I will sale my classic Beeswax used very soon. If someone is interested....

amiglick

Nov 4, 2014
Hello Amiglick

I ordered 2 AMSHD. One for my pre for replacing the non SHD Audio Magic and another AM SHD for the TT. I have not installed the one in the pre yet because of other changes to evaluate first (I Also bought 4 High Fidelity MC-05). For the TT I have to wait the rebuilding of my MC Anna.
Not sure it will be worth in the battery PSU of the Raven AC... We will see. Bigger hopes for the pre when I will finish to evaluate the MC-05s. At that time I am on holydays.
Peter at the Cable Co said the SHD are really better than the first Beeswax. Hope to hear from you soon. Hope also I will sale my classic Beeswax used very soon. If someone is interested....

Please keep up posting your findings, much appreciated.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing