Audiophile Fuses

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Your dogmatic opinion - as far as I know you did not carry any significant experiences on this subject, neither studied the subject. Many people consider that cables are directional because of metallurgic and manufacturing reasons independently of ground wires - for example some non shielded SE cables are directional. Many people consider speaker cables are directional.

We still do not have a reasonable scientific model why power cables sound different - the best scientific approach I have read calls it "placebo effect". :D Why should we consider that the effect of a fuse, that accepts noise signals of much higher bandwidth and amplitude than audio cables is well understood?

My conrad-johnson amplifiers use Bussman KTK-2 fuses in the B+ line (factory fitted, not tweak). As they are expensive, I have tried another type of less expensive fuse for initial tube burn-in, in this phase a poor tube can easily blow the fuse. They degraded sound quality.

IMHO most of the time calling a tweak as silly before analyzing it is premature.

Much of this criticism is technically fair. I was making an assumption about efficacy prior to personally conducting A/B tests. But even the most ardent subjectivist, science-based argument-ignoring part of my audiophile brain has limits in time and in personal interest and in the suspension of the application of the “straight face” test.

It would never occur to me to taste test on an A/B comparison basis different English Breakfast tea bags from the same box of English Breakfast tea bags. Am I merely assuming there is no difference in subjective taste among different bags of tea in that box? Yes, I am.

And even after all that in reply I am not declaring in any way that Audiocrack is wrong or that there is no directionality to the sound qualities of fuses. I don’t know. I have not performed the comparison. My assumption might very well be wrong. All I am saying is that I personally have no interest in conducting such an A/B test, and that, as Marc states correctly, I am skeptical.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Much of this criticism is technically fair. I was making an assumption about efficacy prior to personally conducting A/B tests. But even the most ardent subjectivist, science-based argument-ignoring part of my audiophile brain has limits in time and in personal interest and in the suspension of the application of the “straight face” test.

It would never occur to me to taste test on an A/B comparison basis different English Breakfast tea bags from the same box of English Breakfast tea bags. Am I merely assuming there is no difference in subjective taste among different bags of tea in that box? Yes, I am.

A different matter - no one is asking you to try to find differences between fuses of the same type form the same box...

And even after all that in reply I am not declaring in any way that Audiocrack is wrong or that there is no directionality to the sound qualities of fuses. I don’t know. I have not performed the comparison. My assumption might very well be wrong. All I am saying is that I personally have no interest in conducting such an A/B test, and that, as Marc states correctly, I am skeptical.

Please think more deeply. Why are you skeptical? Because fuses are small? :) Science will tell you that fuses should be more relevant than power cables - but probably also that none of them should be relevant.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
A different matter - no one is asking you to try to find differences between fuses of the same type form the same box...

Please think more deeply. Why are you skeptical? Because fuses are small? :) Science will tell you that fuses should be more relevant than power cables - but probably also that none of them should be relevant.

Curious...why does science tell you that fuses should be more relevant than power cables? Also, what do you think makes power cables relevant? Their power delivery...or their shielding from emi/rfi or something else? I am a big fan of the power cables we have, so absolutely believe they are relevant...just no idea why.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

My original post here and my reply to you here focused solely and specifically on the directionality of the same fuse: does the same fuse sound different depending on which end you insert first. Nothing else.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Curious...why does science tell you that fuses should be more relevant than power cables? Also, what do you think makes power cables relevant? Their power delivery...or their shielding from emi/rfi or something else? I am a big fan of the power cables we have, so absolutely believe they are relevant...just no idea why.

Because they are close to sources of electrical noise, such as the rectification diodes or digital circuits. If you are interested on the issue, please see the Shunyata papers on power cables, concerning being the first or the last meter of cable in your mains system. IMHO most of what we do not understand comes from electrical noise, that has an extremely large bandwidth.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My original post here and my reply to you here focused solely and specifically on the directionality of the same fuse: does the same fuse sound different depending on which end you insert first. Nothing else.

IMHO if we accept that fuses significantly change the sound quality, we must be prepared to accept directionality of the fuse. We can not explain the sound quality variation in terms of simple resistive or thermal properties.

Reactions: johndoe21ro

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
A couple of days ago I removed an SR Black from the Paganini Dac that I am selling and put it in my Scarlatti transport which I was using with a stock fuse as its Black had failed.
It now sounds definitely better than with the temporary stock fuse and that mirrors my experience with both the SR Black and Phonosophie gold fuses I use.
I can't claim to understand why but I am satisfied that audiophile fuses do improve the sound and that some may be better than others.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
IMHO if we accept that fuses significantly change the sound quality, we must be prepared to accept directionality of the fuse. We can not explain the sound quality variation in terms of simple resistive or thermal properties.

I accept that audio fuses can influence the sound. Imo they are just like other tweaks that shape the sound of your system. Many people roll tubes...a lot more expensive than fuses but doesn’t sound silly...even sound more like a pro. If the shaped sound fit your preference then you claim it sounds excellent and natural. Your ears might like it one day..get accustom to it the next and might even find it not so natural any more eventually, or you cannot listen without it. Is there a neutral fuse? Well. Everyone has his own cup of coffee. If you don’t try it you don’t have to have a headache analyzing it and money stays in your wallet, but you also never get a chance to taste something different. Audiophiles are like cat with curiosity. :)

Note: By “you” I meant people in general, not microstrip in particular.

Kind regards,
Tang

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
IMHO if we accept that fuses significantly change the sound quality, we must be prepared to accept directionality of the fuse. . . .

How do you define “significantly”? In your experience does switching a fuse change the sound as significantly as switching a cartridge?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
How do you define “significantly”? In your experience does switching a fuse change the sound as significantly as switching a cartridge?

I will just butt in a little :D. From my experience..No. It could considerable influence dynamic, density, frequency tone, back ground noise, etc., but not the signature of a cart. The macro presentation is the same. Only degree of each sound attribute is different imo.

Kind regards,
Tang

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I will just butt in a little :D. From my experience..No. It could considerable influence dynamic, density, frequency tone, back ground noise, etc., but not the signature of a cart. The macro presentation is the same. Only degree of each sound attribute is different imo.

Kind regards,
Tang

+1 exactly

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Although in my opinion is generically no, I know that people sensitivity can be trained and some people can think differently. Some people focus on specific aspects of sound quality and for example, will consider aspects such as subjective noise or fluidity much more important than tonal balance.

Stereo sound reproduction needs training. Tweaks can be part of it. One of the reasons many audiophiles enjoy their hobby is because it is an evolutionary hobby - we are permanently learning something new. There are no absolutes, the best of today is not the best of tomorrow - perhaps simply because there is no best in this hobby!

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Although in my opinion is generically no, I know that people sensitivity can be trained and some people can think differently. Some people focus on specific aspects of sound quality and for example, will consider aspects such as subjective noise or fluidity much more important than tonal balance.

Stereo sound reproduction needs training. Tweaks can be part of it. One of the reasons many audiophiles enjoy their hobby is because it is an evolutionary hobby - we are permanently learning something new. There are no absolutes, the best of today is not the best of tomorrow - perhaps simply because there is no best in this hobby!

There is indeed no (absolute) best in our hobby. But tweaks (such as higher quality fuses) can indeed bring a lot of personal happiness if you are open minded and are willing to experiment.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I hope this doesn't violate any rules. This is an invitation to anyone who would like to try (buy) an Audio Magic SHS Ultimate Beeswax fuse. I was offered a very decent discount for an order of four or more. To make that for myself, I could use another buyer or two. My feedback under this moniker is very good at the usual audio classified sites, so no worries that way. If interested, PM for further info (don't post here).

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
The final verdict for me with an SR Blue fuse in my EAR 890 is ..... I still prefer the stock fuse and I've requested an RMA for the SR Blue.

The SR Blue was run in for at least 500 hours all told in my fuse burner and the final A/B testing vs stock revealed to me that burn in *did* matter but the end result was simply not to my liking. In summary, the SR Blue produces what can best be described as a more damped sound vs the stock fuse. On the plus side, the nominal noise floor is certainly reduced. However, overall extension, micro-dynamics (perhaps most notably), and subtle textures (think of dragging a guitar pick across the strings, etc) have suffered. Reverb and decay are still muted by the SR Blue, which results in what some *might* consider a more focused soundstage, but to me sounds less natural, less room filling. You are left with these sort of voids or dead spots between instruments particularly in smaller jazz arrangements where, with the stock fuse, the cymbal decay or horn ambience in the recording venue will fill them in.

It was an interesting experiment. I'm glad I tried it, as I'd have always wondered if I hadn't. But, no, the SR Blue is not a keeper. Not for me.

Other final thoughts:

1. The effect of the fuse is much less significant than the effect of different power cords. By the end, the A/B listening between fuses isn't an immediate "WOW" effect. I had to sort of "catch on" to the changes over the course of 15 minutes or so, but once I did, then I couldn't unhear them. Whereas, in the beginning before burn in, the SR Blue was immediately worse.
2. The SR Blue does seem directional, believe it or not. For me, there was a "more damped" direction and a "less damped" direction. But neither were suitable as both were too deleterious.

EDIT: I have a strong suspicion that Beeswax fuses also have a damping effect, which likely wouldn't be to my liking. I'm fairly uninterested in testing other audiophile fuse memes at this point, but never say never.

Last edited:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
While I'm not a fan of the SR Blue (not AR), every stock fuse I've heard is, relatively speaking, a bit ragged and bright, definitely not damped, if I understand what you mean. That leaves a question: if the noise floor is lowered, is the silence you're hearing between instruments part of the recording or a quality of the fuse? Or to put it the opposite way, is the shimmer you describe with the stock fuse overhang or the recording (or something else in your system)?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
While I'm not a fan of the SR Blue (not AR), every stock fuse I've heard is, relatively speaking, a bit ragged and bright, definitely not damped, if I understand what you mean. That leaves a question: if the noise floor is lowered, is the silence you're hearing between instruments part of the recording or a quality of the fuse? Or to put it the opposite way, is the shimmer you describe with the stock fuse overhang or the recording (or something else in your system)?

Don't know why I was calling it AR. Updated the post to SR. The SR Blue might go over well with those who don't like treble. But that over-damped sound of slightly blunted transients, lack of shimmer and decay in the treble region just doesn't sound right to my ears. Not a great fuse, and certainly not for the price.

What do you recommend?

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Just tried the Furutech fuses in my Aesthetix Io. 2 Amp slow blow specified for both fuses. Installed, turn on, B+ fuse didn’t make the first try. The tube heater went on no problem. I thought maybe the first was a dud so I put the remaining Furutech in the B+ and the stock in the tube heater.

Turn on, blew, of course the stock fuses work fine. So much for fuse tweaks.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
The SR Blue might go over well with those who don't like treble. But that over-damped sound of slightly blunted transients, lack of shimmer and decay in the treble region just doesn't sound right to my ears. Not a great fuse, and certainly not for the price.

My experience was quite the opposite. Swapping a Blue for a Black fuse in my Spectral preamp reduced the noise floor and improved the speed of transients - across the board. One of the best moves I’ve made. I intend to swap in Blue fuses for the rest of my gear at some point.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Don't know why I was calling it AR. Updated the post to SR. The SR Blue might go over well with those who don't like treble. But that over-damped sound of slightly blunted transients, lack of shimmer and decay in the treble region just doesn't sound right to my ears. Not a great fuse, and certainly not for the price.

What do you recommend?

Take a look at my review of the AM Ultimate beeswax vs. SR Blue on page 54 and see if there’s anything there that works for you. I use the Ultimate in a PS Audio DirectStream and a P15, and await a pair for ATC active speakers. If they turn out to be of interest, a search online will turn up best pricing. I’m not aware of anyone allowing retuns on those, though.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing