Audiophile Fuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Thank you, audiocrack. That one I would have to hear to believe that fuses make any sonic difference I can discern, let alone a "significant" sonic difference.

I agree completely Ron, it cracks me how may audiophiles refer to changes being 'significant, profound', etc. Utter nonsense, do you think for one minute if this were really true that the likes of Nelson Pass, John Curl, Dan D'Agostino and the others would not have made such an easy rectification !

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
AC power makes massive differences in the sound of a system, including fuses and small details, regardless of one's chosen beliefs! ;)

Dave lets face it .......location, location.....location ! saying it makes 'massive' differences across the board is bull pucky !

most 'massive' changes occur in room / acoustic improvements and speaker selection.

Trouble is too many audiophiles can't differentiate between subtle and massive , let alone the middle ground in between !

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thank you, audiocrack. That one I would have to hear to believe that fuses make any sonic difference I can discern, let alone a "significant" sonic difference.

Ron,
Do you hear differences between power cables?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have no idea. I have never compared power cables for sonic differences.

When I select interconnects for the new system I likely will purchase power cables from the same company which makes the interconnects.

(In case I can anticipate your next question :) -- and I formulate it this way very deliberately -- I do not consider blind A/B testing to yield invalid results.)

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I agree completely Ron, it cracks me how may audiophiles refer to changes being 'significant, profound', etc. Utter nonsense, do you think for one minute if this were really true that the likes of Nelson Pass, John Curl, Dan D'Agostino and the others would not have made such an easy rectification !

Before using strong words like "utter nonsense", Dave, I would recommend to start listening seriously to various fuses in stead of believing in your preconceived ideas. I learned the hard way that - provided you have a good system, open mind and some ears - everything matters in music reproduction. I happen to be the lucky owner of an utterly - some people that visit me use the expression ruthlessly - revealing/transparent pair of loudspeakers (Tidal La Assoluta). The differences between various fuses in various audio components in my system are profound.

Using the same type of argumentation that you put forward in your comment: do you really think that all those audiophiles all over the world are deaf and stupid bying different fuses in such quantities that it is worthwhile for all kind of different companies - Furutech, Audio Refine, Synergistic Research, etc. to just name a few brands - to invest in R&D, produce and sell them if there was not something 'good' going on?

Btw, some audio companies are selling their components with high quality fuses because it matters! For example Tidal is employing Audio Refine fuses for their electronics. You think that such companies are ignorant and stupid (as well)?

If you have decided for yourself that you do not want to believe in and rule out the possibility that various fuses can make a significant or even a profound difference, that is completely fine with me of course. But I am taken the liberty to advice you the following: stop using strong words in this regard, open up your mind, give it a try and very likely start doing yourself a favor.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Audiocrack is correct, twitch. I am not saying it is nonsense; I am saying I simply haven't tested it for myself, and I am skeptical.

I am skeptical, which is very different than being close-minded.

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
I have steered away from this rabbit hole .. I am A SKEPTIC as Ron has said,, Im not closed minded on this.. Using a fuse as a Tuning aid is what? No better than saying your changing the acoustic voice of the original designers voiced intention.. A band aid for a poor design ?

Albeit There is NO way there is a massive research in testing fuses.. Maybe build one by hand and test your results.. Make them in mass in China.. Sell them in the USA at a 400% mark up.. Maybe its time I look into fuse business..

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I am skeptical, which is very different than being close-minded.

Than you have to ask yourself - what would change your skepticism concerning fuses?

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Audiocrack is correct, twitch. I am not saying it is nonsense; I am saying I simply haven't tested it for myself, and I am skeptical.

I am skeptical, which is very different than being close-minded.

Gents, my reference was made to the use of certain verbiage , lets put it this way you perhaps have a different interpretation of the word 'significant' that I do.

Audiophiles just love to embellish ........ they can't help themselves !

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Has anyone had any negative experiences with any of the brands, e.g like some cables add something buy take away something else

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
I have steered away from this rabbit hole .. I am A SKEPTIC as Ron has said,, Im not closed minded on this.. Using a fuse as a Tuning aid is what? No better than saying your changing the acoustic voice of the original designers voiced intention.. A band aid for a poor design ?

Albeit There is NO way there is a massive research in testing fuses.. Maybe build one by hand and test your results.. Make them in mass in China.. Sell them in the USA at a 400% mark up.. Maybe its time I look into fuse business..
Amps, cables ... all have an unique sonic signature. Everything is a band aid, a tuning device. Trick is to get all the band aids play nice together.

I replaced SR Blacks in my VAC SigMKIIa SE pre and ARC Ref250SE with SR Blue and sound is more organic. Improve UEF material?? Not replacing rest of Blacks until they blows or feel the need for a change.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Than you have to ask yourself - what would change your skepticism concerning fuses?

Very simple -- a careful A/B comparison of different fuses, and a conclusion that I can hear a difference between one type of fuse and another type of fuse, and that I prefer the sound of one fuse over the sound of the other fuse.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
What seems to be ignored are the fuse holders which are subject to international safety regs and of mediocre quality.
Has anybody found any audiophile fuse holders out there?

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Very simple -- a careful A/B comparison of different fuses, and a conclusion that I can hear a difference between one type of fuse and another type of fuse, and that I prefer the sound of one fuse over the sound of the other fuse.

Discernably so, it's a bit like rolling tubes .

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
What seems to be ignored are the fuse holders which are subject to international safety regs and of mediocre quality.
Has anybody found any audiophile fuse holders out there?
I replaced small stock (low quality) fuse holder on my Hegel H30 to a large Bussmann and it yielded a nice improvement.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I have a Beeswax in one Directstream and a Black in the other. When I switched DS's, the Beeswax one seemed a little smoother, a little more relaxed, a bit of ragged edge no longer there. I haven't gone back and repeated the switch because I've been involved with auditioning power cords.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
My BLUE fuse is on its way, I am going to receive it during the week. I will compare it with my Beeswax and will report. (1A, PS Audio DS DAC).
I use Beeswax fuses at my DAC & Power Amplifier (PS Audio DS + KR Audio SXI) after a long trip : HFT Supreme, SR 20, SR Red, SR Black, AH Platinum Reference and SR Black.
My conclusion is that premium fuses are very much system dependent.

Hello Amiglick, any update in your trial of the SR Blue fuse?
I have Beeswax in my amps and server but currently using a SR Black in my pre. Should I go Blue or Wax for the pre is my 'dilemma'.
Blue58

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am so conFUSED! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing