Audiophile Fuses

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
Things crashing over at the wam on the fuse thread somebody started.
They are a highly strung bunch for sure!

Buy them from us?!

Anyone soldered thier fuses in? I know it sounds mental but will sound better imo.

Lissnr

May 31, 2012
Native New Yorker
Hello Blue58 and all, Glad I could be helpful. As for fuse directionality I was told the " Flow through" should go exactly as you read it... So the " S - R" is "Left to Right".
For the Lampi I spoke with Lukasz and asked him directly which way it went for both the B7 and the TranspOrt and he told me : "While standing behind the unit, the flow runs from Left to Right". So that makes it easy... If you're behind the unit the fuse goes in as it naturally reads. This obviously kept me from trying both fuse directions although if someone was indeed curious enough to experiment I would be interested in the results...Hope this helps.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hardly surprising given the Rabidly Objectivist Cabal there! Perhaps you might start a Mook thread for a little further sport.

On PFM my thread on Mooks got deleted after 25 pages. I hardly posted on it. There were 3 people with experience of mooks, all said it worked, but the rest of the posters were at each other for 25 pages. Then someone started a thread called It disappeared (because the main mook thread had disappeared). But then that thread got locked down as well.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hello Blue58 and all, Glad I could be helpful. As for fuse directionality I was told the " Flow through" should go exactly as you read it... So the " S - R" is "Left to Right".
For the Lampi I spoke with Lukasz and asked him directly which way it went for both the B7 and the TranspOrt and he told me : "While standing behind the unit, the flow runs from Left to Right". So that makes it easy... If you're behind the unit the fuse goes in as it naturally reads. This obviously kept me from trying both fuse directions although if someone was indeed curious enough to experiment I would be interested in the results...Hope this helps.

What value fuse are you using?

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Thanks Lissnr, confirms my thinking, as long as they are manufactured with directionality in mind. :)
Thank you for your help.
Blue58

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
Hardly surprising given the Rabidly Objectivist Cabal there! Perhaps you might start a Mook thread for a little further sport.
Oh please do, I will sign in again for that for sure.... They need a good lampooning over there!

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thanks a lot for your comments, Lissnr. I will indulge then.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
They are a highly strung bunch for sure!

Buy them from us?!

Anyone soldered thier fuses in? I know it sounds mental but will sound better imo.

Screw the fuses. Replace them with a 6 x 32 mm silver billet and solder that in. No sense using anything that can slow current flow.

While you're at it, ditch the power cord and plugs. Solder/Hard wire the power to the switch.

blutto

Mar 22, 2014
Things crashing over at the wam on the fuse thread somebody started.

....wandered over to check that out....quite the highly motivated lynch mob they got there....the high-lite of the thread was someone using Ethan Winer to backstop a point....I laughed so hard my sides still hurt....

....and there was a post by kneesup on page 7 that was interesting .....

"But this is significant: I remembered last night that an old mate of mine is a fuse designer. Yes, That’s right. Fuses – for 40 years. So I rang him and put the issue to him. And this is what he told me:

That fuses are very simple things, but what puzzles the designers, is that the environment the fuse wire travels though makes a very big difference to the characteristics of the fuse. He has always found it extraordinary how the slightest differences in the sand composite mix that is usually used in fuses, can alter the characteristics of the fuse so significantly. We are not talking sonically, because he didn’t design audio fuses. But he could understand why audible differences could be possible from altering such an environment.

Moreover, my friend told me that no one in the world of fuse design that he knows can tell why the sand mixes make the differences they do. It remains a crystalline mystery, and over the years only trial and error has been the solution."

Cheers

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Anyone else got the SR blacks installed yet?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Not sure whether I mentioned but there is a new Black Fuse out by Synergistic Research. Will acquire a couple at some point.

I went down the audiophile fuse path a few years ago and was not impressed with anything I tried back then. I can't remember everything I tried but I do remember trying Hi-Fi tuning fuses on my Spectral amps and ended up going back to the stock fuses. However, based on some encouraging reports with Synergistic Research Black fuses, I recently bought one to try on my VTL 7.5III preamp. Bottom, line, I'm very glad I bought it with a money back guaranty. It is going back today. I really wanted to like it but it was just not impressive at all. Sonically, I found a total disconnect between a more distant midrange and a poorly defined, softer top end, in addition to nothing special bass. I know fuses can be position sensitive so I flipped the position. Nope. Nada. I even flipped my position-tried listening while standing on my head. Nope- nothing there either. (Referring to head position, not head content!). Ok seriously, I really tried to give these the benefit of the doubt, but each time I went back to the stock fuse, the sound was immediately superior in every way. I have no idea what Luke uses as his stock in the VTL preamp- it appears to be a ceramic fuse as I cannot see the wire. Bottom line- the SR Blacks were hardly a new mountain top for me, rather, a sea of sludge.

I would like to make the following comments/suggestions if I may. First although my experience was negative, this should not encourage others from trying. These are inexpensive investments and if there is a money back guaranty, what do you have to lose? Perhaps you will be surprised. Second, you have to give some companies credit for trying to make equipment that presumes they have listened to a lot of fuses before deciding what to use as factory stock. There may a reason why their stock fuse was chosen. I know Bea Lam listens to everything and she has damn good ears. It would not surprise me that her fuses were chosen for a reason. I suspect this is also true at other companies as well. Its hard for me to imagine that Warren Gehl at ARC or Keith Johnson just use any old fuse in their gear. Again, that should not stop you from trying experimenting yourself. Finally, if you are dead certain that what you are hearing is a mindfk improvement, I encourage you to have a friend swap fuses blindly in your gear and see if you can pick out the mindfk fuse every time. We are all slaves to self-deception. This could be a very informative and easy experiment to do, so why not try it?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing