Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3435363738394041424344454647 LastLast

Thread: Audiophile Fuses

Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    I'm not debating the science behind 'fuses', rather some of the absurd pricing that certain 'audiophools' are willing to pay !

Yes, but remember that absurd pricing to some, is pocket change to others. On another thread, Northstar posted that someone paid $17.5 M for a pocket watch!! Owned by the late Paul Newman and a Rolex...in stainless ( not even gold, LOL) BUT $17.5Million!!!
    Now, IMHO, IF you are making $17.5M a day, then what's the big deal, LOL. See my point.....

BTW, I believe Jeff Bezos makes a paltry $2M an hour...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    That's completely OT. Maybe you should start a thread on it and see how it goes...
    LOL, here, I'm sure you'd be right 'on board' !
    Cheers - Dave

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ack View Post
    As I said earlier on, a fuse can restrict instantaneous current delivery during high-current demands, by its shear thin-wire nature. Related to that, again due to their high gauge (thinner wire), is heat build-up and dissipation, especially in amplifiers, which consequently restricts current flow even further. There are all kinds of situations loosely described as "distortions" and these are just a couple of them.

BTW, electrons don't really "flow" as you said elsewhere; they do move with A/C current, but at extremely slow speeds; most energy is transmitted as an electromagnetic wave.

This current flow restriction and heat build-up is what had me totally bypass all of my fuses, and to heck with them. It's a shame that very few manufacturers use electromagnetic circuit breakers instead of fuses, but it is what it is.
    If a regular fuse reduces current flow and acts as a kind of electrical bottleneck, and this creates distortion, then I understand completely. But then why are people replacing fuses on low current devices like preamplifiers and DACs?

And if it is simply a matter of the fuse being too thin of a piece of wire, why do amplifier companies not come up with a better solution themselves if it is such an easy way to improve the sound of their products?
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000 (ordered) tonearm: SME 3012R (to come); cartridge: ZYX Universe Premium X-SB2 or Koetsu Coralstone (TBD)
    tape: Studer A820 Mk II
    phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies; line stage: Aesthetix Callisto Eclipse with 2 power supplies; amplifier: VTL MB-750s
    speakers: Gryphon Pendragons
    cables: MasterBuilt Ultra or Cardas Clear Beyond (TBD); power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; Torus AVR60BAL; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 20' wide X 25' long X 15' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps and Tower Slims; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks (Kedar to place)

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] ack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    If a regular fuse reduces current flow and acts as a kind of electrical bottleneck, and this creates distortion, then I understand completely. But then why are people replacing fuses on low current devices like preamplifiers and DACs?
    because they are looking for a better piece of thin wire, with better heat dissipation - but any fuse wire MUST heat up and melt when necessary. Just run your amps high, shut them down, then remove the fuse and notice how warm it is. People think they are achieving something by replacing fuses, but I would say at best any improvements are marginal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    And if it is simply a matter of the fuse being too thin of a piece of wire, why do amplifier companies not come up with a better solution themselves if it is such an easy way to improve the sound of their products?
    Some do, as I mentioned, and they provide breakers (e.g. the Boulder if I recall correctly). But you are really asking the wrong person, and if I had to take a good guess, I would say they are cutting cost and/or want to get the UL certification.
    Sources: mod. VPI Aries 3;mod. JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90;mod. Pass XP-25;Spectral 3000SL xport/mod. Alpha DAC;mod. Magnum Dynalab Etude;mod. Revox B-77II Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-400RS Speakers: Heavily mod. MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods);mod. REL Cabling: MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strip, Magnum Z-Trap; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon Tweaks: EAR Isodamp c1002 References: Live unamplified music
    System link WBF

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Thanks Bob. Well worth reading.
    Mark - Sablon - who has spoken highly of the $22 Padis fuses is well supported by the first review.
    +1 to him

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Quote Originally Posted by ack View Post
    BTW, electrons don't really "flow" as you said elsewhere; they do move with A/C current, but at extremely slow speeds; most energy is transmitted as an electromagnetic wave.
    Electrons in a metal never move slowly. They are moving in great speed in a random fashion just like gas particles. Current is a measure of NET flow of electric charges in a point. When current is zero, it does not mean that there is no electric charges flowing across a point. There are equally amount of charges from left to right and right to left. What you mean is the mean drift velocity is slow. It is high school physics that one can calculate this mean drift velocity given current, electron density of a metal as well as thickness of the wire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drift_velocity

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] ack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adyc View Post
    Electrons in a metal never move slowly. They are moving in great speed in a random fashion just like gas particles. Current is a measure of NET flow of electric charges in a point. When current is zero, it does not mean that there is no electric charges flowing across a point. There are equally amount of charges from left to right and right to left. What you mean is the mean drift velocity is slow. It is high school physics that one can calculate this mean drift velocity given current, electron density of a metal as well as thickness of the wire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drift_velocity
    A comment was made earliermthat electrons "flow" - see upthread
    Sources: mod. VPI Aries 3;mod. JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90;mod. Pass XP-25;Spectral 3000SL xport/mod. Alpha DAC;mod. Magnum Dynalab Etude;mod. Revox B-77II Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-400RS Speakers: Heavily mod. MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods);mod. REL Cabling: MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strip, Magnum Z-Trap; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon Tweaks: EAR Isodamp c1002 References: Live unamplified music
    System link WBF

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry2013 View Post
    Mark - Sablon - who has spoken highly of the $22 Padis fuses is well supported by the first review.
    +1 to him
    New - PADIS Fuse (EUR 22)

"PADIS (Progressive Audio Distribution) is a German manufacturer that sells rhodium plated fuses for high end audio. It is rumoured that PADIS also produces fuses for another well-known audio company. PADIS fuses can be ordered online directly on ebay directly from the manufacturer.

These fuses punch well above their asking price. I found them to be well-balanced, and very detailed at the same time. Both ends of the frequency spectrum are very well-controlled with the high frequencies being subtly more prominent. They also have a very precise rendering of the soundstage, and placement of instruments.

Outstanding value!"
    _____

New - Schurter Gold Plated Ceramic Body Fuse (below US$ 2.00)

"Schurter actually lists their SMD-SPT fuse line as an audio product ! Thankfully, it comes with a non-audiophile price tag. Depending on how hard you look, you should be able to find it for less than US$ 2.00

In my humble opinion, the SMD-SPT handily outperforms the Bussman Ceramic Fuse for negligible price difference.

There is good amount of detail, and nothing seems unduly emphasized. Soundstaging is a bit distant.

If your system is perfectly dialed in, this could be the icing on the cake.
    This fuse is an absolute no-brainer."
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

Quote Originally Posted by Barry2013 View Post
    +1 to him
    Thank you Barry!

Fwiw I first started using Padis several years ago and found that they gave a great bang for the buck, especially on tube equipment which counterbalances their leaner presentation. Since then, the market has moved on and the SR Black gives a big uptick over the Padis, being altogether quieter and more dynamic, so I would be inclined to recommend the Padis as an entry point purchase into upgraded fuses rather than an end game solution. I have yet to try the SR Blue or, for that matter, the latest Ultimate Beeswax.
    Owner www.sablonaudio.com, PF & 6M award winning custom audio cables

Reseller for Lampizator and SGM Music Server

Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3435363738394041424344454647 LastLast