Page 1 of 47 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Audiophile Fuses

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]

Audiophile Fuses

deleted
    Last edited by MylesBAstor; 11-05-2015 at 04:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MylesBAstor View Post
    Anyone out there tried or presently using the new Hi-Fi Tuning or Isoclean fuses in their gear?
    I did a review at PFO on the Iso clean and still feel my comments were accurate. I have backed off the suggestion of adding silver paste to electrical connections, now prefer clean connection and no additives except (maybe) Caig Pro Gold.

The Hi-Fi tuning fuses are similar to Iso clean but with better high frequencies. http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue22/isoclean.htm

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    In my system, the change from stock fuses to Isoclean fuses was absolutely positive. The Isoclean mostly reduced distortion and grunge while tightening up imaging and improving the sense of placement. This kind of upgrade is so right that you accept the change as part of the music within a few minutes. It's very much like the benefit offered by a fine aftermarket power cord, but in miniature.

In my listening evaluation, the Isoclean fuses were installed into the holders on the back panel of each Aesthetix power supply. The Improvement was obvious from the moment the system was turned on. Better still, everything continued to improve for several days as the fuses settled in.

There is something I should point out here about installing Isoclean fuses. Each fuse is marked with an arrow, indicating the direction the current should flow. Take care to not reverse these, as it harms the sound.
    Albert

I read your review.

I for one am the "Ultimate Tweak" but I have to ask you how a fuse can reduce distortion and grunge as well as tightening up the imaging

I also have to ask about directionality. I cannot imagine how the fuse is directional and if used in the wrong direction can harm your equipment. This makes absolutely no sense to my simple mind

any electrical engineers out there that can help
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    International Distributor of Center Stage Feet and owner of PitchPerfect Sound (www.pitchperfectsound.com)
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Steve:

I think Albert said harm the sound, not the equipment

Go to this page where the DC R has been measured for the HI Fi Tuning Fuses and other brands. For one thing, the Hi Fi seem to have markedly, sometimes as much as 10X lower DC R:

http://www.ultrasystem.com/usfeature...IT.htmlhttp://

I might also add the best fuse is no fuse. People who've modded maggies and taken out the fuse on the ribbon have been amazed by just how good Jim's ribbon design is! (of course one had to have adequate protection elsewhere to do this.)
    Dead link Myles
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    International Distributor of Center Stage Feet and owner of PitchPerfect Sound (www.pitchperfectsound.com)
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Here is the correct link
    http://www.ultrasystem.com/usfeaturedprodsFUSE_LIT.html

I read it and I was interested that the fuse they sell was the one with the best measurements.

Also this is only for Slo Blow fuses right.
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] es347's Avatar
    $60 for a fuse eh? hmmmmmm.

[WBF Founding Member]
    Pro Audio Production
    Member Sponsor
    Do they make audiophile aluminum foil?
    Bruce A. Brown
    Puget Sound Studios
    Stereomojo reviewer
    Seattle, WA

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!

Quote Originally Posted by es347 View Post
    $60 for a fuse eh? hmmmmmm.
    They were $25.00 when I reviewed them, $60.00 is nearing triple the original price.

If you read my review I did not go crazy making comments about how fabulous they are, simply that removing the stock fuse and replacing with one of better quality was helpful.

Remember there are audiophiles with systems at or near one million dollars. If you can hear an improvement for $25.00 (or $60.00) it's probably money well spent.

While I appreciate the humor, one should give them a listen before dismissing out of hand

I'm sure many of us have spent more on accessories that clearly didn't walk the walk eg. cables, AC line conditioners, room treatment, etc. Also, in the scheme of things, $50 for an sizable sonic upgrade isn't a whole lot of money considering the investment many of us have in our equipment.
    Beat me to it, almost exactly what I was typing in my response.

I need to learn not to compete with you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Williams View Post
    I also have to ask about directionality. I cannot imagine how the fuse is directional and if used in the wrong direction can harm your equipment. This makes absolutely no sense to my simple mind

any electrical engineers out there that can help
    Did anyone call?

I spent a few minutes reading the data. It was kind of hard as it seems to be some kind of scanned document with European nomenclature (e.g. comma used instead of decimal point).

At high level, I was surprised by the level of precision they used to measure resistance. Typical ohmmeters we use is usually accurate to 0.1 ohm. Anything more than that and you start to measure the resistance of the probe wire and resistance between the probe and what you are measuring. The measurements they have is in *milli* ohm or one thousands of an ohm. So the best one measures 0.044 ohms and the worst, 0.155 ohms. What is surprising is that they then take this to two more decimal places. So the first value is listed as 0.04447! I have no idea how one can measure something this repeatedly. I suspect changing temps, or just remeasuring would result in wildly different values to say nothing of what strict process must be used to attach the measurement device to DUT (device under test).

Later, they go to even three decimal places after the mOhm value. Unless I am reading these numbers wrong, I can't fathom how they do this without at least specifying why their test methodology is right.

As far as directionality, they explain why there could be a difference in construction but not why the device would measure differently. Again, I would have loved to see data on how repeatable their results are.

That said, there are two points on the other side:

1. They are right about soldering fuses being better than using sockets. The sockets invariably become lose, causing large resistance and random failures.

2. I have seen fuse elements go back and forth as the music plays in some amps! So clearly there can be issues with fuses that are rated for low amps.

So the notion of high quality fuse may be right but I personally am not moved by their measurements without more data.

Page 1 of 47 1234567891011 ... LastLast