Most extreme Von Schweikert system on the planet?

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
thanks for sharing the picture..

I think it is one of the most beautiful purpose built audio room building I'd seen.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I know I'm late to the party, but wow, beautiful room! Can I ask - what is the front wall center poly cylindrical-like room feature made of? Is it solid wood? strips? Very attractive and giving me ideas for something in my room.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I believe they are veneered ply with the rears damped with matting then shaped around solid wood frames. The cavities were then filled with either rock wool or fibreglass.

Hmm. This computer must be set in UK English!

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jack, any time table for the 'uber-extreme' VS-111XS? Or have they landed on these shores already? :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Almost ready to ship Phil. The last communication had Albert asking where Jim would prefer the badges to be located. In the meantime, the upstream gear that will be driving the 11s are here and burning in quite nicely. I just need a few power cords to round everything out. I'm on pins and needles now waiting for the release of the phono stage. Come to think of it, that would make it the first all solid state system I've had at either Lair 1 and Lair 2 since 2005 :eek:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Almost ready to ship Phil. The last communication had Albert asking where Jim would prefer the badges to be located. In the meantime, the upstream gear that will be driving the 11s are here and burning in quite nicely. I just need a few power cords to round everything out. I'm on pins and needles now waiting for the release of the phono stage. Come to think of it, that would make it the first all solid state system I've had at either Lair 1 and Lair 2 since 2005 :eek:

Do post a video or two if you can...they're always fun to listen to...providing of course, Phil is happy for you to do so.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'll ask Jim's permission Lloyd. I guess it would be okay. It shouldn't be a problem. :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Wooohooo...I'm sure that Jim is 'extremely' anxious for its arrival. I can hear him say 'you can say that again!'. :D Do you need a chartered cargo plane? :D For once I'd be happy to join the welcoming rites in the tarmac. LOL

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Do post a video or two if you can...they're always fun to listen to...providing of course, Phil is happy for you to do so.

Always happy about these things. :)

DEV

Oct 19, 2011

Hi Jack - when will your system be up and running with the 11's.

What will your brother Jim be running his new speakers with.

What solid state are you referring too along with phono stage.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi David

My getting my hands on the 11s are contingent on the arrival of the 111s. I replace the 9s with Jim's 11s two days before the 111s come in.

Jim is using the VAC Statement Pre and 450IQ Power and Sigfried 2s in bi-amp. Front ends are a few Studer 820s, an A80, with custom Doshis, an ATR/Aria, an AF1, a modified AF2 with EMT Phonos
Tube guy he definitely is. Got a WAVAC amp on the sidelines too.

In my system now I have CH Precision's D1 Transport, C1 DAC, L1 Pre, 2 X1 External Supplies and M1 Monoblocks. I'm waiting for the P1 Phono that will launch in Munich next month. I'm also using some CH/Argento cables between some components. They are a bit prettier in sound than the M-B Sigs that don't sound much like anything. This is helping me during the burn in process although even now I really can't fault anything about the sound I'm getting. We'll see.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Wow Jack I didn't know Jim was so into tape with three Studers and an ATR. Was my house really the first time he heard tape?

Im interested in the difference between the VR11 and the new VR 111

edit....I just read Bob Harley's article on the speaker....wow

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Stevie,

He had a B77 and and an A77 in the 80's but he hadn't heard tape the way YOU played it, the system contexts being so different. Let's just say his 80s system was far from optimised. Love you Jim :D

The difference between the 11s and 111s is pretty big. Mainly the 111s drivers are all Magnesium. The decision was made to also use more smaller drivers because of their advantage in terms of mass and inertia. As shown in TAS the cabinet damping scheme has also been taken to a greater extreme. In the end it results in 4 8ft2" towers vs 2 7ft4" towers. The 111s will push more air and be quicker at doing it. Perhaps most important of all is that it's size and output are designed to be able to just cruise in a room as large and as treated (very low RT60) as his.

Lucky me, my room was built exactly for when an 11 would be within reach. The 111 is too much for my room. I may be changing the title of my own thread to -DONE very soon. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
IIRC a flat .25 as opposed to my sloped .35 adjusted (post flood) average (i'm tail up in the deep bass and slightly nose down from 2k)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Steve

Jim's room is 108sqm I'm not exactly sure about length and width but let's just call it a chubby rectangle as opposed to a bowling lane. The ceiling is 4m or about 14 feet high. The size of the room is such that even at .25 it isn't uncomfortable. .25 in a confined space creates a sense of uneasiness. This is something we were debating on before the build. I was afraid it would be too low. That is control room specs. When the build was done it actually was a bit low but was quickly fixed with the addition of two diffusive wings on the side walls behind the listening position. The large inverted cone in front also plays a very large role in keeping coverage even. The problem isn't the low average figure as much as it is happening to be in a dead zone. Find yourself in one of these and your head will want to shrink. LOL.

I asked for .4 but Mike our acoustician went and did .35 behind my back. He just knew me too well! :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing