Most extreme Von Schweikert system on the planet?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Here's what we started setting up yesterday. Some shots from the first few hours. Sorry for the picture quality. Lots of camera shake. This is a music only system.

VR-11 SEs up front biamped with VAC Signatures (mids, treble) and VTL Siegrieds (bass)
VR-9 SEs bringing up the rear biamped with Lamm M1.2 reference (mids and treble) and M2.2 (bass)
Sources are TW Black Knight and TW AC-3, Emmlabs CDSD, DAC 6, Switchman 3
Preamplification VTL 7.5 Series 2
Phono stages Tron 7, Lamm LP2, ARC Reference
Arms Grandeeza, Phantom, Triplanar VII, TW, Kuzma 4-point, Shroeder
Carts Koetsu Blue Lace, XV-1s, XV-1t, M.Y. Sonic Labs Ultra Eminent, Grandeeza, Allearts MC-1 and some others.
Cabling Kubala Sosna Elation (front and analog sources) and Emotion (rear and digital)
Power Cables Shunyata King Cobras and Anacondas, Taipan (Subwoofer PCs)
LFE JL Gotham not sure what model but the one with the twin 18" I think
Vibration Isolation 12 levels of CMS Black Diamonds (not yet on website)

Room over 100 sq/m with 4m ceiling height custom designed and built by Tracks Acoustics. RT60 .40. Whisper quiet. We where playing around whispering to each other from 20 feet away. Custom AC ducting. 50kVA voltage regulation and 17 dedicated lines.

Finally, it has begun! Updates to follow!

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Ho hum...I thought for sure I was going to see something special here.:eek:

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
congrats to Jack & the Emperor of Bozania.

did Albert ever imagined that the VR 9 will be used as rear speakers?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

That is extreme ... Why the VTL on the bass. I thought the VR-11 had their own amps for the subwoofers?

Frantz

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks guys! The digital is up and running and the owner says that the equipment is burning in nicely. The analog will be set up this week.

@frantz - The 9s and 11s have built in sub amplifiers for the 15 inchers but the magnesium drivers are passive. The room is quite large so the owner wanted to be sure he had more juice for the quick punching mid-bass drivers than he'd ever need.

The room itself is to me as impressive as any of the gear in it. It is so quiet but is still so natural sounding. There are no dead spots and if there are suck outs they aren't so severe as to be musically degrading.The drawback is you dare not pass wind when there's no music playing. People WILL hear you!

I'll try to get the measurement charts and waterfalls from Tracks. I have got to see it. The same design firm is doing my 70 or so sq/m room right now. Mike P. had better be close!!!!!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
At this point I think he's already hit the ball into the South Beach Yacht Club parking lot :lol:

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hello!

Most extreme...I expect it will be a triumph! Congrats :D

-Sam

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Extreme indeed. And I'd like to say that after the VR-11s, everything in the system is extreme too. :) I just didn't imagine how small the 9s were in pic no.4 when taken in the same room as the 11s. :) The world is waiting....

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I must admit I've been lazy. I hope Epoy Bengzon of Architectural Audio doesn't mind I'm borrowing his pics and text :)

View from the sweet spot.

View from the entrance.

Where the astonishing collection of software will be situated.

Toys galore.

From another angle.

Shameless plug for the 1st TW Acustic Black Night turntable in the Philippines.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The owner is two arms short of an Octopus :D

Traiplanar U2 - Koetsu Blue Lace
Graham B-44 Phantom II - Dynavector DRT XV-1t
Kuzma 4 Point - Ortofon A90
TW Acustic - MY Sonic Labs Ultra Eminent BC
Schroeder - Jan Allearts MC 1
Da Vinci Grandezza Grand Reference (ebony?)- Grandezza Grand Reference MC

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Jack,

Total cost including building...+/- 10% in USD? OK, I'm sitting down.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The lot alone was close to a million bucks Gavin. The complete structure including land scaping, mechanicals, electricals and acoustics would push it half way above that. So much beautiful grey travertine and beautiful masonry.

I'd say all in all, in the vicinity of $2.5 to $3M if you include the 10,000 or so mostly first edition and rare NM/NM LPs some of which are in 4 figure territory. That would be at retail prices. I did cut him some slack though, being my big brother and all.

I knew I got into the wrong profession!

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
Jack, you are just being polite to your big bro... you're letting him do it first, but I can see you have been on the same track.. starter speaker VR 9 (for future rear speaker), Lamm and TW stuff, new room ...

I won't be surprised to find out that Albert is already building your VR 11 and Vladimir working on your ML3's :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You know my penchant for SETs indeed my friend.

I'm definitely thinking LL1/ML3 and as of now fictional Unifield 10 maybe? Hehehe. I don't have room for 7 ft behemoths.

I'm toying with the idea of anteing up and paying Albert for the development costs for an all new speaker. I'm eyeing the Feastrex drivers or the PHYs then augmented with the VSA quasi TL and perhaps a big bad raven dipole ribbon. Built in subs included of course.

How does that sound to you? :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hahahaha! Victor Sierra's babies are indeed an experience Dimf! Now if I don't have space for 11s, you can bet I don't have space for those! :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing