Most extreme Von Schweikert system on the planet?

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
Hi Dimfer,

Let us know when you plan to visit home. It would be great to get together on your next trip here!

Jimmy

I would love to do that Jim. Been to Jack's during my last 2 or 3 visits to Manila but never been to your place. We don't have any definite plan for a Philippine trip yet but will let you or Jack know when that happens.

Hey Jack, now that I have a direct invite from Jim, I would like to take back my offer to clean your lap pool and mow your lawn as posted earlier on this thread ;)

Hi Steve, it would be a blast if we could do an audio tour in Manila together, I hope we could do that. Our time in your place was memorable, I think it was the longest time my wife stayed with me while listening to a stereo system, including mine :D

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
You know my penchant for SETs indeed my friend.

I'm definitely thinking LL1/ML3 and as of now fictional Unifield 10 maybe? Hehehe. I don't have room for 7 ft behemoths.

I'm toying with the idea of anteing up and paying Albert for the development costs for an all new speaker. I'm eyeing the Feastrex drivers or the PHYs then augmented with the VSA quasi TL and perhaps a big bad raven dipole ribbon. Built in subs included of course.

How does that sound to you? :)

..no room for the 11s?...uh ok :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Shhhh. I'm happily munching on my foot Gavin. :p

111 report

I was at Jim's a couple of weeks ago and he gave me the go signal to shade his subwoofer towers now that the 111s are broken in. Most sub towers have single XO pt, phase and level controls for all drivers. The 111s have controls for the individual amps for each. This opens up quite a few possibilities. When all drivers are set with identical settings they act as a pulsating cylinder. By tapering the levels from the selected Sub Zero, in this case the bottom sub, from highest to lowest then tapering the crossover point the opposite way and ever so slightly slightly alter the perceived directionality one gets interesting results in 2xPi space (how the hell do I use special characters again? Arghhh). When shading the power response this way the towers are still acting like a cylinder but each driver now interacts a bit differently with the room boundaries IOW it loads the listening space's internal volume differently. The effect is that the Sub tower's load, sustains and particularly long decay tails made up of mostly long reverbs which in turn is mostly either simulated reverbs or actual reverb of the recording venues in the recordings become more distinct giving better portrayal of hall size. It seems to have also enhanced layering and depth of the preceding parts of the ARSD envelope (Attack, Release, Sustain, Decay) handled by the main towers which themselves go down to 20Hz but obviously at greater -dB. Bottom line....... oh baby, baby.

Next up will be to experimenting on shaping the sub arrays and see what that brings us. Shaping is done by applying delays to drivers to simulate curvature. This is done by simply tapering phase settings. Just waiting for a really tall mic stand for this one.

This is really fun stuff not because it is all new. These are practices that have been applied in sound reinforcement for as long as I can remember. In the domestic setting it is also analogous to the various multi-sub methodologies. It's not all just about even coverage or building up a foundation after all. It is in a large part being able to scale up the entirety of a sound event's complete envelope. Boy it's just really fun to be able to play with the possibilities.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm trying to lose some weight now because I know I'll be gaining it all back when we all get to HK LOL!

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

111 report

I was at Jim's a couple of weeks ago and he gave me the go signal to shade his subwoofer towers now that the 111s are broken in. Most sub towers have single XO pt, phase and level controls for all drivers. The 111s have controls for the individual amps for each. This opens up quite a few possibilities. When all drivers are set with identical settings they act as a pulsating cylinder. By tapering the levels from the selected Sub Zero, in this case the bottom sub, from highest to lowest then tapering the crossover point the opposite way and ever so slightly slightly alter the perceived directionality one gets interesting results in 2xPi space (how the hell do I use special characters again? Arghhh). When shading the power response this way the towers are still acting like a cylinder but each driver now interacts a bit differently with the room boundaries IOW it loads the listening space's internal volume differently. The effect is that the Sub tower's load, sustains and particularly long decay tails made up of mostly long reverbs which in turn is mostly either simulated reverbs or actual reverb of the recording venues in the recordings become more distinct giving better portrayal of hall size. It seems to have also enhanced layering and depth of the preceding parts of the ARSD envelope (Attack, Release, Sustain, Decay) handled by the main towers which themselves go down to 20Hz but obviously at greater -dB. Bottom line....... oh baby, baby.

Next up will be to experimenting on shaping the sub arrays and see what that brings us. Shaping is done by applying delays to drivers to simulate curvature. This is done by simply tapering phase settings. Just waiting for a really tall mic stand for this one.

This is really fun stuff not because it is all new. These are practices that have been applied in sound reinforcement for as long as I can remember. In the domestic setting it is also analogous to the various multi-sub methodologies. It's not all just about even coverage or building up a foundation after all. It is in a large part being able to scale up the entirety of a sound event's complete envelope. Boy it's just really fun to be able to play with the possibilities.

..you and Jim need to retake HD photos of his room now that the 111s are there

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

111 report

WOW. That is cool. Look forward to reading more about this, Jack. Not just as a bass freak, but as someone who is finally able to pay attention to room/set up long-term.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I'm trying to lose some weight now because I know I'll be gaining it all back when we all get to HK LOL!

Definitely have to tell me if you get to Yung Kee for roasted pork/meats or Four Seasons Hotel for dim sum. We may go in Autumn!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yung Kee is a must stop indeed Lloyd! Four Season's Dimsum is tough to get a reservation at so maybe I should go try as early as now. :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yung Kee is a must stop indeed Lloyd! Four Season's Dimsum is tough to get a reservation at so maybe I should go try as early as now. :)

Trust me...we went to Buenos Aires and to Paris...and made reservations at Cabana Las Lilas for steak a YEAR in advance and at La Serre for proper French food 6 months in advance. ;)

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
And I'm stuck in California lol

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
And I'm stuck in California lol

I'm in SoCal too but will be hearing both Jack and Jim's systems in Early August as well as Jadis and hopefully some of the others such as dafos and mullard

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm in SoCal too but will be hearing both Jack and Jim's systems in Early August as well as Jadis and hopefully some of the others such as dafos and mullard

The Countdown is on, Steve. Just a little more than a month to go. Though I'm not sure I would make it to the Hong Kong Show as I just went there last week. But we'll be waiting for you here in Manila. :)

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com

I'm jealous lol. I really enjoyed the time I spent with the VR-111's while they were here. Both Damon and Albert told me they couldn't believe the difference in performance in their new home vs. what I heard here before we shipped them. I can't wait to hear about your experience and hopefully you will post:)

I just started a Von Schweikert thread on the sonic differences between the VR Series and the new ULTRA Series Loudspeakers since the VR-111's were the genesis of the new ULTRA line.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing