Most extreme Von Schweikert system on the planet?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jim "amp rolls" :)

I don't know much about the Tapes (what he's got) 'cept for hearing the names of the places that sell 'em. Ton of LPs though. I'm the happy recipient of his doubles or triples :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What's in back of the WAVACs? Is the system triamped?

Guess no one told your friend that tubes amplifiers ring. :)

What's he got for tapes?

At the back are the VTL Siegfried Monoblocks, I think 750 watts per side.

Jim and I love tube amps ringing, although he's got more. :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jadis,

Great system. Tubephile gets a new meaning!
Most of the cabling was hidden - a very nice feature. We can see some Shunyata vestiges - what was the remaining of it?

Micro, I get lost in translation when talking about Jim's and Jack's cables. So, I'll just post another pic. :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jim "amp rolls" :)

And Jim's tube amps not only get rolled, they get updated constantly to the latest whatever, whatever the designer has in store as of presstime. :)

Amp roll? How about 'arm roll'. I think Jim has more tonearms than the arm bases of the turntables. Some arms are orphaned into the shelf. :D If I were using a film camera, I would run out of film. :D

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Cant believe I missed this thread , awesome system and room , would love to hear those " big tube " WAVAC HE-833v2 poweramps , they are supposed to be really good

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Jack...Seems like over the course of this thread the phono stages have changed from a Tron 7, Lamm LP2 and a ARC Ref 2 to dual EMT's. Any comments why and sound differences? Thanks !

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Wanna make an A90 sound like a Koetsu? I was able to do just that with the EMTs. The adjustability of these units is just crazy. With the factory settings I find them to be extremely neutral after that it's all up to the user. This pair of EMTs have some goodies inside though. Lots and lots of matched pairs of telefunken 803s'. These put them yet another step up. Since Jim uses a lot of carts the extra utility comes in very handily. That it has multiple inputs and controls per inputs means once he is set he doesn't have to do many do overs when switching arm/carts. I do love the top Tron and still love my LP2 and my own hopped up Soulphono but I wouldn't mind having one of these in my arsenal. I do get to play with Jim's toys though. He lends me phono stages to play with. :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Soon to be even more extreme

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/art...its-albert-von-schweikerts-design-laboratory/

Yup, that one-off is destined for this system

Source Updates:

Next week another one-off (for now), an Air Force Two with a AFO platter and everything else that would entail, will be added. This was the result of TechDAS study into the possibility of making upgrades commercially available. At the moment they have decided not to proceed given the amount of work hours needed to accomplish the task. WHy not just another AFO since the price ended up not too far off? The owner is open to the idea of owning an AFZero someday and thinks the AFT will be easier to part with. The Graham Elite is ready and waiting, on which will be mounted a TechDAS TD Ti.

Multi-Channel functionality has been set aside to make room for the Tape Machines. The VR-9s are headed to the owner's HT where the VR-4 SRs will slide to the rear positions. So, gone is the Switchman3 and DAC6, now replaced by a DAC2X for SACD. Soon to go will be the EERA Tentation to be replaced by the EERA Autographe for Redbook duties.

Cabling:

Shunyata remains for all power cables and conditioning but the signal loom will be switched to Master Built Ultras, the same cables used inside the 111XS.

Last edited:

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
amazing.. I hope you can also share a picture or two of the building that houses this great audio room.

I will mow your lawn and clean your lap pool if that's what it takes to get a pass to Jim's audio room in my next visit to Manila :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Pics are in the first page Ding :) When will you be back? Jim said he'd like to have something with the original WS Bozanians, that includes you of course.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fantastic Jack! I have always liked the big 4-tower concepts. Tidal, Infinity, Genesis, Gryphon, Marten, Nola, Audio Verity, Evolution Audio, WAMM, Audio Analysis Orion, Piega Master Line Source, etc...

I am really looking forward to reading all about it. Record a few snips if you can. When is ETA?

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
wow!

the overall concept of the VR111XS reminds me of the MM7's. driver surface area is likely about the same. obviously there are even common design roots too.

I'm sure it will sound fantastic.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
not sure when we will be returning to Manila, but let me know and I will try to make it

btw, I found one picture, from Albert's post at AC, and he called it The Parthenon..

Parthenon

he can play Brother Louie Louie Louie as workout music at 5am without waking up the rest of the family in the main house :D

Last edited:

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Here they are...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
wow!

the overall concept of the VR111XS reminds me of the MM7's. driver surface area is likely about the same. obviously there are even common design roots too.

I'm sure it will sound fantastic.

True Mike. Traceable to the 4 tower Armageddon (VR-10) from the 90's perhaps? Funny coincidence. The sole MM7 owner here is named Jaime, Spanish for James/Jim the 111 owner's name :D

Hi Stevie, I believe the second Doshi has arrived already. :)

Boggy

Jan 16, 2013
amazing.. I hope you can also share a picture or two of the building that houses this great audio room.

I will mow your lawn and clean your lap pool if that's what it takes to get a pass to Jim's audio room in my next visit to Manila :D

Jim's-Listening-Room-External.jpg

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
EB is that you? The shot looks like it came from your camera :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing